MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my MGF 1800 (W Reg) into local garage.
Power Steering warning light had come on night before last - power steering seemed to have gone - reversing out of car park and steering very heavy.
Took to garage next day. Problem still there when they looked at it with me there. After I left - like magic - problem gone - although I think the Mechanic tweaked things like fuses etc. etc.
He rang around a few mates and contacts who said this is a common problem - 9 times of 10 it goes as quickly as it comes without mechanical intervention. Someone else said that MG needs new steering column to rectify problem aaarrrrrgggghhhh! Anyway - problem seems to have gone all by itself so not investing in this very costly and somewhat drastic repair yet! Any more ideas on what could be resolved without going down new steering column route? The car has only done 29,000 miles - well maintained - only had it 4 months (warranty ended after 3) - someone cheer me up with a solution please!!?!?!?!?!?

·
Registered
41 Posts
i have had my MGF since feb 2004 and I have had the exact same problem 3-4 times. It only seems to happen if i park the car with the steering turned at half to full lock. I turn the engine on and the steering is very heavy with the power steering light on.

To rectify the problem I just turn off the engine, centralise the steering, turn the engine back on. Wahay! back to normal.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MGF Steering

Thanks - I'll try that next time - you're probably right - I'd driven into a driving space and the lock was probably quite full on - it did stay like it for the journey home and the next morning and when I took it to the garage - just strange how it disappeared - any way - it seems okay now - next time i'll remember to try straightening up - another loveable little quirk of my lovely MG - I love it to bitz! Thanks very much for your reply! Cheered me up and glad I'm not alone!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Just wondering, was this problem solved? I have lost my power steering totally, and yes, parking is a pain in the a*%e. Im so worried that one day it will just lock itself when Im turning or something and i will crash into somethin/someone...

Im still trying to figure out whether it is the EPAS or it is the motor itself that is faulty.

So, if you have solved yours, would be much appriciated if you share the secrets... :minxy:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts