MG-Rover.org Forums banner
41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
No, they have confirmed it. No 'production' is now taking place at Longbridge.
That sounds plausible but do you have a link as their website still says:
MANUFACTURING FACILITY IN BIRMINGHAM
Final assembly on the new MG6 is completed in Birmingham. We use the scale and technological advancement of the MG production facility in Lingang, China, for initial production. This includes the production of the car body as well as paint shop processing. Taking care of initial production in China means our UK manufacturing team can focus on the key components that create the handling experience our European customers have come to expect. This includes the connection of the engine and the gearbox, as well as completing electrical connections and inserting the powertrain.The manufacturing facilities in Birmingham, including full paint shop capabilities, have been protected across our 69-acre site. This will allow us to expand when volumes increase and new models are introduced.

·
Registered
'06 MG ZR +120 (HQM) '04 MG ZR 105 (IAB)
9,647 Posts
Errrr.........No it hasn't.

Really, some of the twaddle you post on this forum is staggering. You have made dubious statements regarding what MG will or won't do on a number of occasions. If you don't have a specific identifiable source to reference, it might be best to keep quiet. Perhaps the same sources that others have quoted in the past as saying that the facelift MG6 was to be available with a new petrol engine last year, or that the last years revised MG3 was going to have a different engine. I will believe it when MG themselves officially confirm their position, and will take what (you have as good as admitted) is merely hearsay with a pinch of salt.

A member of the Longbridge staff rubbished the rumour on this forum only a couple of weeks ago. What has changed since then. The production at Longbridge (or finishing off) has ceased several times in the past as the batches of part assembled cars have been completed, and no further batch has been imported until sufficient of the previous one has sold. Far from being continuous, Longbridge 'production' of MG6 and MG3 is probably best described as sporadic.

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
The MG3 is put together on the Longbridge assembly lines, CAB 1 building. The assembly lines have never been busier.

a second production facility, in the shape of the unused ‘state-of-the art’ paint shop, currently mothballed is in the pipeline for future expansion.

When the part-completed body shells arrive from China at the Longbridge factory, they look like this

[/IMG]

The engine, clutch and gearbox is put together elsewhere in the building then the front sub-frame, steering rack, hubs, driveshafts and brake discs/calipers are added. the radiator and cooling system pipes added, the whole engine/front end assembly is fitted to the body shell. Finally the front exterior panelwork is added. The completed cars are then rolled along towards the test areas by means of a ‘moving floor’ system.

Finally, on completion, each car is allocated a British VIN code, which legally identifies the country of origin as being the UK.

·
Registered
cityrover
7,559 Posts
With all the cars now coming from China fully built there is no chance of anything specific for the UK market going on sale.
No, they have confirmed it. No 'production' is now taking place at Longbridge.
Can't post any link as I was told this by a couple of MG staff at POL. Production of rhd cars is set to move to Thailand.
The MG3 has always arrived fully built.
Absolute ****, how come we have a production line full of Mg3s then? Who are these 'people' who work for MG then...PM me their names.

Thailand is an SKD plant like Longbridge, its a joint venture, MG UK & SAIC would not want to share their profits to Thailand. Get your facts right before you spout rubbish. People like you killed MG Rover and lower morale for MG employees.

·
Registered
cityrover
7,559 Posts
The MG3 is put together on the Longbridge assembly lines, CAB 1 building. The assembly lines have never been busier.

a second production facility, in the shape of the unused ‘state-of-the art’ paint shop, currently mothballed is in the pipeline for future expansion.

When the part-completed body shells arrive from China at the Longbridge factory, they look like this

[/IMG]

The engine, clutch and gearbox is put together elsewhere in the building then the front sub-frame, steering rack, hubs, driveshafts and brake discs/calipers are added. the radiator and cooling system pipes added, the whole engine/front end assembly is fitted to the body shell. Finally the front exterior panelwork is added. The completed cars are then rolled along towards the test areas by means of a ‘moving floor’ system.

Finally, on completion, each car is allocated a British VIN code, which legally identifies the country of origin as being the UK.
Dont forget CAB2, as wide as CAB1, not as long but is on two levels, built for the BINI, huge building, plenty of room for expansion in the future. It is fairly new inside too.

·
Registered
rover_800
11,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
So the reign of the dozy half wit driver who only drives an auto is on the rise. Fact is that auto is available in China on the MG3 already, as it is on the MG5, MG6 and GS.
I object to that comment.... I drive an auto because I have no other choice, and I would too, have purchased a new MG if they had an auto MG6, but they don't, hopefully the new GS will have an auto, and when we are due to change cars again, the GS will be right at the top.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
I object to that comment.... I drive an auto because I have no other choice, and I would too, have purchased a new MG if they had an auto MG6, but they don't, hopefully the new GS will have an auto, and when we are due to change cars again, the GS will be right at the top.
I object to the fact that you object to that comment. I resemble that remark. Obviously not everyone who drives an automatic (but could, given the choice, drive a manual) is a feckless halfwit. But sadly a growing number are. The kind of feckless halfwits who need to have their hands free to hold their latte and their phone. Not the reasonable people who have made a choice of an automatic over a manual for other reasons.

·
Registered
9,647 Posts
Absolute ****.........
Thanks for the confirmation that MG Norman/Brouwer/H Musgrove (or whatever name he is going to sign up with next) is talking out of his rear.

This might explain all the problems with sub frame mountings, drive shafts and general front suspension problems! Might have been better if they did arrive in one piece.
Are such problems widespread? I hadn't really come across many people complaining of this type of problem in either the 6 or 3 forum, and I am sure they would have if it is as commonplace as you are suggesting?.

........Obviously not everyone who drives an automatic (but could, given the choice, drive a manual) is a feckless halfwit. But sadly a growing number are.
I have to agree with you on this. Obviously those who are not a "feckless halfwit" will object to being tarred with the same brush (not that the feckless halfwits are likely to realise that they themselves are the feckless halfwits you are referring to, so they will object too).

It is much the same as with AUDI drivers - not all of them are arrogant bullies, but a sufficiently large proportion do fit that description, which then tends to rub off on some other AUDI drivers.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
50 Posts

a second production facility, in the shape of the unused ?state-of-the art? paint shop, currently mothballed is in the pipeline for future expansion.

[/IMG]

The engine, clutch and gearbox is put together elsewhere in the building then the front sub-frame, steering rack, hubs, driveshafts and brake discs/calipers are added. the radiator and cooling system pipes added, the whole engine/front end assembly is fitted to the body shell. Finally the front exterior panelwork is added. The completed cars are then rolled along towards the test areas by means of a ?moving floor? system.

Dont forget CAB2, as wide as CAB1, not as long but is on two levels, built for the BINI, huge building, plenty of room for expansion in the future. It is fairly new inside too.
Steven211, if you don't mind me asking, what kind of production could take place at Longbridge? Is there capacity for full car manufacturing/ facilities? Thank you.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
I think a few of the early cars suffered with front suspension problems but it doesn't seem a common issue now.
One of things they could do at Longbridge is paint the rear hub that seems to shows signs of rust after 6 months!

·
Registered
mg_6_magnette
58 Posts
how many makes somthing common?!

My own experience with my MG6 and following the MG3 on the 635 forum is such that suspension / sub frame problems are indeed much too common. Does that mean 50% of the cars are faulty, probably not. However, are the cars proving as reliable as they should, then the answer is no. I like my MG6, it's not a bad car compared to many out there. However, it has been back to the dealer over ten times in the last 30 months, to have far too many problems fixed. That's not ten times to fix one problem, that's at least ten faults. I was hoping the MG3 would be an improvement, however yet again it is falling short of the reliability people expect from a new car. To get back to the point of the recent posts, many of the problems I have heard about on the MG3 are down to how the front end has been screwed together. So it is a real possibility that the UK 'production line' is adding to people's woes, not reducing them.

I am an all things Rover nut, I have had most models from the 1970s to today. I am still thinking of getting a MG GS AUTO! in the coming months, but it won't be an easy decision for me, after all the problems I have had driving a new MG. My new Maestro 1.6HLS in 1986, only had one warranty claim in the time I had it, if only the MG6 could have matched that. I would have been a happy bunny.

·
Registered
9,647 Posts
This might explain all the problems with sub frame mountings.........
.......many of the problems I have heard about on the MG3 are down to how the front end has been screwed together. So it is a real possibility that the UK 'production line' is adding to people's woes.....
You have specifically referenced the front subframe; Steven211 has confirmed that both MG3 and MG6 arrive at Longbridge with the subframe already bolted in place, so any issue with it is unlikely to be down to anything done at Longbridge:-
subframe is on both...

41 - 60 of 84 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.