MG-Rover.org Forums banner
181 - 200 of 230 Posts

·
Registered
rover_75_tourer
1,005 Posts
Do we have any figures for TF sales in April and May? Or is it now impossible to pick them out amongst MG 6 sales? I wonder if there has been an improvement since spring and the launch of the 6.

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
According to MG their 35 dealers have sold 180 cars in the two weeks since launch.
From the article I read in the Birmingham mail, I think this is for vehicles ordered - still good but won't show as registrations until orders completed.
"The value of MG6 GT fastbacks sold or ordered is just over £3 million – we have 180 orders in the pipeline. We are very pleased indeed with the response to the car, considering that it has only been on sale for a couple of weeks".

·
Registered
746 Posts
There are maybe as little as only 20 new MG TF's left for sale in the UK now. I sold 2 in April and 1 in May and now only have left "New No. 1" (the very first MG TF LE500 Chassis Number 251 No. 1 of 500). I have "New No. 1" for sale for £19,999.00, though she's nice and warm in our showroom, so don't mind if she stays for a while yet!

·
Registered
rover_75_tourer
1,005 Posts
There are maybe as little as only 20 new MG TF's left for sale in the UK now. I sold 2 in April and 1 in May and now only have left "New No. 1" (the very first MG TF LE500 Chassis Number 251 No. 1 of 500). I have "New No. 1" for sale for £19,999.00, though she's nice and warm in our showroom, so don't mind if she stays for a while yet!
Only 20 left - I wonder if they will decide to build another batch.

·
Registered
10,220 Posts
Only 20 left - I wonder if they will decide to build another batch.
I very much doubt it. TF sales have been incredibly modest and the car has fulfilled its purpose of reintroducing MG ahead of the launch of the MG. If sales hadbeen better I'm sure another batch would be considered but those remaining cars should fulfill any ordders for a few weeks.

·
Registered
36,630 Posts
I very much doubt it. TF sales have been incredibly modest and the car has fulfilled its purpose of reintroducing MG ahead of the launch of the MG. If sales hadbeen better I'm sure another batch would be considered but those remaining cars should fulfill any ordders for a few weeks.
Even if emissions etc allow this, I know that MGE pronounced production was at an end, which will help shift those last 20 cars.

As for the first LE500 - is it true the chassis number carries the phone number in Abingdon (251?)?

With the Magnette now coming on stream, even if there was a big markup to be made from the TF (which I doubt with production having ended for China - imagine starting it all up again just for some paltry dribbles of really weak zonk sterling!), I could see there being a real risk of diverting scarce marketing, dealer and technical resource from tomorrow's (OK, at least today's, not had that for 7 years) cars to yesterday's... which the lovely TF is now just as much as the Zeds!

·
Registered
rover_75_tourer
1,005 Posts
48. That is very low. I was expecting well over 100, since we were told 180 were sold in the first two weeks.

Still, with dealers still not having functioning websites, no totem poles or obvious branding outside the forecourts, what else can we expect?

http://www.dealer.mg-uk.co.uk/cardiff/index.php

This site has been like this for months. I did email them about it, but got no reply.

·
Registered
36,630 Posts
48. That is very low. I was expecting well over 100, since we were told 180 were sold in the first two weeks.
see above - those are clearly orders rather than registered cars. It would appear the issue of the dealer (not the manufacturer) having to finance the cars is not front-loading registrations.

Could it be that the production - delivery chain Lingang-Longbridge-dealer is going too slowly? wonder where there are bottlenecks? Virtually no options other than car colour - could it be that the first bits sent from China are not the most-ordered colours? (Tracy Island syndrome).

181 - 200 of 230 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.