MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
PonteLad said:
Just come back from a weekend away, on the way back, I drove past an
MG RV8, never ever seen one before.
Bet you'll notice the next time you see one though! The factory V8 roadster with an updated interior and performance for the '90s. Fantastic :)
Only problem is that I've wanted one since the day it was launched :sad2:

G

·
It used a detuned 3.9 Rover/Buick V8 efi. Assembled from British Motor Heritage kits at Cowley approx 2498 produced IIRC.

G

·
Range Rover 3.9 V8 - Rover 5 speed gearbox - basically an MGB roadster shell with new wings and a rather lovely interior (some even had aircon).

New price? £28,000 to £30,000
Price now? Settled around £8,000 to £10,000.

Lots of ex Japan examples are being re-imported.

You can actually dress an MGB up to look like an RV8. The improved front and rear suspension and steering can be fitted to the B, along with the interior.

·
Registered
6,157 Posts
Yeh, you'll pay about £2-3k less for a Jap import; about £7000-£8500, you won't find a decent UK example for under £10k - I remember hearing something about MGB panels fitting straight on, but cannot comment as to whether or not it's true... Lovely looking cars... :cloud9:

G

·
Greg said:
I remember hearing something about MGB panels fitting straight on, but cannot comment as to whether or not it's true... Lovely looking cars... :cloud9:
You could fit MGB panels to an R V8 but there would be no point as it is the fitting of R V8 panels to the B bodyshell that makes the car look the way it is.

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
Richard Moss said:
It has MASSES of torque and is actually much quicker then the 190bhp would suggest. They are also very tuneable.
Yes these cars can shockingly cope with 150mph easily so I have been told, whether you would want to do that in one is an other matter!!!

My uncle had a prototype one to blast to Cowley every morning down the M6 and he loved it! He said he sat in the outside lane at a *pace*, came off, into the second gear for the island and sideways round it :D :p

.... this was going back to the times when they were first launched so could get away with it lol.

Fantastic cars :)

·
Registered
rover_75
432 Posts
I remember going to my local dealer with my dad and sister to see the new RV8 when it came out (1992ish? I think the demo was a K reg). I think there was only one demonstrator assigned to Northern Ireland as people from Rover came to move it on after it'd been there for a day. Think it was K20 MGR. Still have the photos somewhere.

I went for a ride with a salesman, with my sister squeezed in the back, with the hood up :( Dad got to take it for a spin with the roof down, lucky so and so! I was an impressionable 10 year old Austin Rover geek and loved every minute of it.

That afternoon probably led to me buying my Spitfire 11 years later. It's not quite so quick though...

·
Registered
984 Posts
Porsche lights? I thought the headlights are just propriety stuff like what TVR used on the Chimaera etc. Tailights are bespoke though, surprising for such a low volume car.

What's more surprising is that so many of you Brits have never seen one, did they all get sent to Japan?

Seen a fair few here over the last 5 years or so, all Jap imports, there was a company that brought them in, don't think they're around anymore.

G

·
Londonbabe said:
Yes, really as a modern car they were outclassed massively by the likes of TVR, so sold only to the cloth-cap MG owners club sector, really, who actually wanted a vintage chassis with modern power
They never were intended to compete with TVR, though, were they? The R V8 was solely a profile raising exercise aimed at reminding people of the existence of MG prior to the introduction of the F.

The driving experience on the R is an entirely different one from a TVR. With the R you can undertake a long journey and still be able to hear and walk at the end of it. The handling, whilst ultimately having lower limits, is also a lot more forgiving as you approach those limits.

And yes Roodosutaa, they ARE Porsche 911 headlights!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts