MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having just been back to my MG dealer to get a repair made under my 3 year warranty for my MG ZT T, I've been informed that due to the collapse of MG Rover no warranty work will be under taken unless the owner can pay up front for the work. The owner then has to make a claim against MG Rover and the receivers. Bad news for everyone I think and worse if something really goes wrong with your car.

Any thoughts, observations would be welcome to find a way out. Even if MG Rover survives there’s no certainty warranties for all its previous makes will be covered!!!!

Also I saw this article on online What Car which confirms the situation.

Your MG Rover questions answered:
What happens to my warranty?
8 April 2005

This is the golden question that MG Rover has refused to discuss with us in the past and is, even now, unclear on what the position is.

The three-year warranty consists of a one-year manufacturer-backed policy and a dealer-backed cover in the second and third years.

The manufacturer-backed warranty would almost certainly be lost if MG Rover folded. A spokesman for the company said: ‘It’s a manufacturer-backed warranty so, if the manufacturer didn’t exist, it would not stand up.’

The Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders confirmed this view and said: ‘If MG Rover ceases to trade, then there is a question mark over whether it has any validity whatsoever.’

The dealer part of the warranty is underwritten by a separate warranty or insurance company, not MG Rover. It is possible it could continue supporting owners, as long as premiums have already been paid by the manufacturer.

It is not yet clear whether this is the case, or whether these premiums would be paid by the administrator. It is also unclear if owners of cars less than a year old would be faced with having no cover if and when these second- and third-year policies kick in.

Pendragon, which runs the biggest chain of MG Rover dealers in the country, has instructed its workshops to stop carrying out warranty work until the position is clear and it knows whether it will be paid for.

If owners are left without any cover it would be possible to buy a policy with a third-party provider like Warranty Direct, although this would cost between £600 and £900 for three years, depending on engine size.

Fingers crossed folks

·
Registered
20 Posts
i think individual dealers are responding differently cos I have read at least 2 other people's post that say they have had no probs and work is going ahead on their cars. Hopefully it will become clearer soon x

·
Registered
783 Posts
Uhm. Might be that those having problems are still in the 1st year and those that are experiencing a positive response from the dealer are in the 2nd and 3rd years?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've just been informed that the MG Rover dealer the car was purchased from will liable to carry out the work, not your local MG Rover dealer. Which in my case is a major problem as I initially travelled to Aberdeen to buy my ZT T, living on the south coast means a return visit for warranty work is a no, no!!

Is anyone else having a similar problem, my cars into its last few months of warranty.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Another warranty twist?

I wonder where I might stand as I purchased my car from MG Rover Direct (the web based used car part of MGR)
I therefore do not have a supplying dealer to talk to.
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
4 Posts
What about the parts?

The guarantee is indeed a problem. But does anyone knows something about all the car parts, motor included, if its necessary to change any piece?
Will it still be a production for all these???

·
Registered
82 Posts
Went to Phoenix Rednal today to look for a replacement for my poor Z :(
My first question was of course... the warranty!

The answer I got was not a nice one, the dealer himself didnt expect to be in work for much longer... a week or two at most, but even the dealers dont know anything at the moment about the warranties.

All he could tell me is that the Administrators are currently asessing what to do, so now we have to phone MGRover - 0121 475 2101 to get to speak to one of the Administrators on site and get it "from the horses mouth"

So this sh1t is gonna hit the fan big time for the dealers if they dont support them!

·
Premium Member
79,177 Posts
Jeez....this makes scarey reading indeed.

Having worked int he dealer network......I'd like to know about these 2nd and 3rd year insurance backed warranties - I'd never come across them.

OPTIONAL 2nd and 3rd year warranties back in the days of 12 month OEM warranties were indeed insurance backed.....but today? Nah, don't think so.

·
Registered
rover_75
2,596 Posts
Well I'm going to have to keep watching this - my 'new' 75 I just bought before all this blew up still has/had 2 3/4 years warranty....

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I went to a dealer today on the way back from Longbridge and asked. His answer was that he didn't know. However he was honouring all MAJOR warranty work on any new car purchased from there - anything to fix a squeak or rattle at this point will not get done until they know more. His advice was to talk to the dealership where you purchased your car because it will vary. He expects to know more in the next day or so.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts