MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We're quite proud of our athletes and our other sports men and women yet we seem more proud of our Beemers and Mercs than our cars. We all want the SMEG in the kitchen instead of the LEC (not me!) and we'd rather have a spanish tiles and bathroom suites than Twyfords or Armitage Shanks.

Why?

We make good stuff these days.

Abroad our products are well thought of and in Germany the Rover 75 matches the whole of the Jag range for sales.

We're a funny lot?

Well I tell ya. Crisis is looming.

Unless we buy British the job market will strink more and the balance of payments will get worse. Ultimately this cannot be sustained.

I hope MGR make the 45/ZS a world beater. And an MGB or Healey 3000 or whatever. Make em well and make the press eat their words.

The ZT V8 is a blistering car, yet the Police won't touch em (not fit for use) but happy to trial Kia Sorrentos as Wiltshire are doing.

Maybe its me whose bonkers but this industrial suicide does not make sense to me.

I'm proud to be British and expect British products to top the charts here. I expect the French to buy their own more and the Germans. Is that not logical?

I get upset about the other manufacturer bit of this site and people saying their trading their TF for a Scooby or a ZR for a C2 VTS.

Good stuff I know but lets give them (MGR) the support now and we'll all reap the rewards of great cars in the future. So bang in that Scooby for a ZS180. Make the ZS cool.

Soapbox publications.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Now that's one soapbox moment! But so true.

Go to France. Look at all the Renaults, Citroens & Pugs on the road. They're everywhere. Delboy, I can't agree with you more. People in this country seem to think that importing=quality. Not always the case.

Yet, this country has got into a dangerous habit, but the message comes from the top: Prince Charles has a fleet of Vauxhall Omegas and is seen getting into an Audi A8. I'm a fan of the Royal family, but I have to say this: Prince Charles wants to be an ambassador for this country... What picture is he painting by getting into cars made in other countries? He's saying, 'our cars aren't good enough for me'.

Imagine if one in every five households bought an MGR. Laughable? I think not. Let's go back to the France example again.

Delboy, you're right. This country and it's people have got it all wrong.

Soapbox Television Productions

·
Registered
482 Posts
Couldnt agree more. When I was in UK last year I kept asking people how the UK economy sustains itself - nobody knew.

Everything seemed to be imported. The local manufacturers of just about everything are shrinking or already broke. Nobody buys their stuff any more.

If there are any economists out there, could they explain how the UK produces value to pay for all the stuff thats imported?

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
2,103 Posts
If there are any economists out there, could they explain how the UK produces value to pay for all the stuff thats imported?
That should prove entertaining...
I bet it will involve imaginary numbers.

·
Registered
mg_zr
954 Posts
SteveinOz said:
You could ask the same question of any 1st world post industrial economy.

·
Registered
168 Posts
SteveinOz said:
Couldnt agree more. When I was in UK last year I kept asking people how the UK economy sustains itself - nobody knew.

The service and defence industry! We make world class bombs and insurance policies!

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rich, sadly both are in deline. Most insurance these days is owned by the Swiss. In the defense industry, Alvis has just been taken over by BAE. Alvis merged with Vickers three years ago. So its strinking fast.

Found out a few months ago ERF trucks were bought by MAN in 1999.

·
Registered
rover_800
11,774 Posts
robjburberry said:
Prince Charles has a fleet of Vauxhall Omegas and is seen getting into an Audi A8. I'm a fan of the Royal family, but I have to say this: Prince Charles wants to be an ambassador for this country...
how wrong you are, Price Charles OWN PERSONAL CAR is an Aston Martin, The Pricess Royal (Anne) uses a Jag, ( she has even personally owned more than one Reliant Scimitar), the Queen has two, yes two Rover P5's one a B and one a MK1, until recently the Mk1 was still being used, Phillip has a London Taxi, and the majority of the official cars are Jags, Bentleys and Rolls Royces, they also use Land Rovers, Range Rovers Disco's and if you go to the Royal Mews you will see a plethora of Freelanders and i was surprised at the amount of MGR products in the car parks.....so i think they are being patriotic, the cars that you are quoting are the POlice and Security Staff cars that have nothing to do with the Royal Family, it is the Governmet that you need to whinge about useing foreign cars, NOT THE ROYAL FAMILY........

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
No, actually Price Charles does own an Audi A8. His sons both drive VW Golfs.

The Queen's normal daily car is a Vauxhall Omega.

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
AndyhMG said:
the Queen has two, yes two Rover P5's one a B and one a MK1, until recently the Mk1 was still being used
Oooh, just the kind of repeat customer MG Rover need. P5's? not even P6's (launched mid 60's) So I'm guessing the almost 40 year old Rovers might be due for a change then - or is it that she now uses an Omega or something.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Royals do have a lot of Brit kit and Charles does have Audis and The princesses Golfs and an A3.

·
Registered
6,157 Posts
IMO, MGR shouldn't look to sell cars to the Royals... They should 'present' them as long-term loaners in exchange for the "By Royal Appointment" stamp.

Mind you, most people in the UK couldn't give a monkeys about the Royals either, IMO.

·
Premium Member
31,560 Posts
Greg said:
IMO, MGR shouldn't look to sell cars to the Royals... They should 'present' them as long-term loaners in exchange for the "By Royal Appointment" stamp.

Mind you, most people in the UK couldn't give a monkeys about the Royals either, IMO.
Erm, they already have the use of the royal 'by appointment' crests

·
Registered
rover_75
417 Posts
I couldn't agree more with the Royal Family.

Open the bonnet of a Rover P6 and the honking big sticker on the right hand baffle has an almighty big crest on it "By Royal Appointment suppliers of automotive products to the Queen". Or something like that.

That's where Rover should be. After all, the Queen (and God bless her) is a Rover fan and has been since the 1950s.

How did we get to this sorry state of affairs? Well, I'm afraid you have to go back to the 1970s, it's still after all these years stems back to clapped out rubbish leaving our factories. Whilst the Germans retreated into using 4 bolts where 1 would do and charging an arms and a leg for it, us Brits tried (and partially succeeded) to adapt along the lines of the Japanese.

Our heavy industry was decepit by the early 1980s and it was a running joke in Europe. Thanks also to our ability to run ourselves down at the earliest opportunity (typified by the lack of confidence shown in the Observer and Guardian) and the belief is we are simply not capable of making cars any longer.

Contrast that to Rover-BRM storming around Le Mans, Rover 3500's for a 1/3 of the price of a MK2 Jag, Harold Wilson and the Queen (and the Krays and Chapmans) in P5Bs. The Beatles in the charts, Italian Job in the cinema. Winning the World Cup for Pete's sake!!! We were simply a much more confident nation then. Coventry was the 'Boomtown' as it was called then and typified in The Specials song - "Ghost Town" when it all went pear shaped.

However, it is not all doom and gloom, our remaining engineering firms like Rolls Royce are thriving in the global market, our civil engineering firms are recognised as some of the best in the world. It's just that the UK is no longer the "workshop of the world". And how our press (ran mainly in London - home of the service industry) like to frequently remind us of how a bunch of "thicko" Brummies and Scousers threw away our industrial base.

Rover are doing a double life sentence for being guilty by association. The hypocrisy makes me laugh though, the SD1 was Rover's most shockingly badly made car by a country mile, yet, it remains one of the most loved. Rover use all the modern production techniques the Germans don't know how to. On limited resources, it can develop cars with more soul that a 1000 Audi roll neck sweater-ed 'design' engineers could only aspire to.

The modern economy is now global and if we are to compete with the likes of India and China, it is not a case of producing more widgets cheaper, we will never be able to compete with someone who is paid 20p a day. We can compete in the 'knowledge' of how to make things, design them and improve them. That is exactly what Rover are doing. The idea of hearing 1000s of presses bashing metal are long gone.

Rover are going to go upmarket, finally it has sunk in, that it would be better to offshore the cheaper cars to compete on price for the volume sector.

However, I have always been highly dubious of the motives of the French and Germans buying their own. It portrays the kind of insular xenophobia that started two world wars to me. In Eastern Europe, you see cars of many marques not just Skoda's and Yugos but many other European and Japanese brands.

I would rather Rover compete on quality and desirability with makes all over the world than some pre-ordained right to sales in their home country because they are made there.

But... it seems it is rammed into us that we are not allowed to be proud of our country, the home of most of the world's innovations of the last 100 years, defender of liberty for all, etc, etc....

·
Registered
7,896 Posts
Most Britons aren't aware anymore of which manufacturers are British and which are foreign.

Most of my colleagues were under the impression that MGR were still BMW owned until the SAIC new stories recently, they now think they are Chinese owned.

It's also sad but true that a LOT of people buy Ford and Vauxhall cars because they think they are buying British !

·
Registered
rover_800
11,774 Posts
boxwellm said:
No, actually Price Charles does own an Audi A8. His sons both drive VW Golfs.

The Queen's normal daily car is a Vauxhall Omega.
NO ACTUALLY PRINCE CHARLES OWNS AND USES FREQUENTLY AN ASTON MARTIN.......... whether the official car is an Audi was not the original point, the original point was that the Royal Family does not own British, this is INCORRECT, the OFFICIAL royal Ingagement cars are nothing to do with the Royal Family but Government cars, the privately owned cars are nearly all British.........

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
I feel better to lead by example...

Most of my mates at school have Frauds, Clio's and Fiats. (Aside from one who drives a lime green Hillman Imp) I will hopefully have a Rover 214 16v with which to kick the merry crap out of their foreign **** with, esp the Clio, as he thinks thats an effin' Supercar! And once more I will be proud to own it.

I will only ever use a different manufacturer if:
  1. MGR do indeed go bust and getting hold of parts will be a nightmare...
  2. I work for a Company who don't stock them for Company use.
  3. MGR import any more indian car's, or remake the Proton Gen2...

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
*DLN* said:
It's also sad but true that a LOT of people buy Ford and Vauxhall cars because they think they are buying British !
That is very, very true.

My gf who has a Fiesta was under the impression that her car was probably built at the Ford factory she toured round with school (can't remember which it was maybe Halewood?).

She was gutted when I told her that her car was prob built in Spain :lol:

·
Registered
83 Posts
*DLN* said:
Vauxhall is often refered to in the media as the 'Luton based company'.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts