1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
rover_800
11,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MG Rover deal a step nearer Mar 31 2005

Daily Post

LEGAL contracts are being drawn up over a joint venture deal between car giant MG Rover and its proposed Chinese partner.

The British company, which employs 6,000 workers at its huge plant in Longbridge, Birmingham, said the proposed part-nership agreement with the state-owned Shanghai Automotive Industrial Corporation (SAIC) remained on track.

The Government has given strong backing for the partnership, which has been described by Tony Woodley, general secretary of the T&GWU, as the "only show in town" for MG Rover's future.

PM Tony Blair has written to the Chinese Government backing the venture.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Isn't it funny how simply stating a few facts correctly in a non sensationalised way can get you NO REPLIES in, if i'm reading this correctly, over 8 hours.

Thanks for posting this AndyhMG, I guess it just proves that the doom and gloom merchants can provoke more of a response from the members though. Myself, I'm hoping that we will be getting more good news stories in a few weeks, although I fully expect my blood pressure to be tested in the interim.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Yeah, Ben is right...I guess that's why negative stories about MGR sell, not nice ones!

I thought about replying to this thread before, but...

Good job Andy!!

·
Registered
7,896 Posts
Yes it's very strange how a factual positive post is largely ignored.

However this is very good news people, the fact is negotiations have ended, the JV has been approved by the Chinese authorities and the legal documents are now being prepared for the official signing ceremony which is likely to take place on Wednesday 20th April.

The future is BRIGHT the future is MG ROVER :hyper:

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I must have missed something- WHO said the Chinese authorities had approved it? Is that true? If so thats brilliant!

·
Registered
rover_45
255 Posts
I just don't get the good news.

ok the rover name will be saved.....but will be owned by the chinese government, MG TF's will be built under licence....I'm sorry but I see this as a worse day for British industry than when BAE sold out to BMW.

Its just a shame the present board spent so much time milking the company for every penny. Maybe then we would have had a car industry to be proud of.

Am I right in thinking that will leave Morgan as the biggest British car producer?

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Haven't you read anything on here?

MG-R will own a percentage of a JOINT VENTURE. The Rover and MG names will be LICENSED to the JVs. This is not a sell out, and will result in a range of NEW Rover and MG cars (and more surprises), that have been designed ALREADY by MG-R, to be built in the UK and China. Production is set to rise from 100,000 units to nearly a million (and maybe beyond.). This is a GOOD DEAL and secures the future of the cars.

·
Registered
67 Posts
podders said:
Haven't you read anything on here?

MG-R will own a percentage of a JOINT VENTURE. The Rover and MG names will be LICENSED to the JVs. This is not a sell out, and will result in a range of NEW Rover and MG cars (and more surprises), that have been designed ALREADY by MG-R, to be built in the UK and China. Production is set to rise from 100,000 units to nearly a million (and maybe beyond.). This is a GOOD DEAL and secures the future of the cars.
You don't really believe that, do you? There must be a middle ground somewhere between the cuckoo-land desires of entrenched Roverphiles and the pessimistic, doom-laden ramblings of the press. So I consulted my girlfriend who is an extraordinary tarot-card reader. No, seriously, listen, and stop groaning. I was never into this sort of thing before but I have to admit I've always come away amazed with her predictions. And anyway, as everything else has been tried there is nothing to lose. I asked her if cars would continue being built in the UK and if the deal was going ahead. This is what she said:
THE DEAL HAS REACHED AN IMPASSE AND EVERYTHING IS CURRENTLY ON HOLD - DON'T EXPECT AN IMMINENT ANNOUNCEMENT, BUT THE DEAL WILL GO THROUGH EVENTUALLY. THERE ARE SOME WOMEN INVOLVED WHO ARE HOLDING THE DEAL UP (EXECUTIVES' WIVES, PERHAPS?). CAR PRODUCTION WILL CONTINUE IN THE UK IN THE SHORT TERM BUT IT'S DOUBTFUL IT WILL REMAIN SO IN THE FUTURE. (NOT GOOD THIS NEXT BIT,CHAPS) THE NEW CAR WILL BE A DISAPPOINTMENT.

·
Premium Member
31,560 Posts
Blimey clarete, whatever they put in the water in Spain they better stop, it's sending you loopy.

Oh, welcome to the site by the way ;)

·
Registered
67 Posts
SteveChilds said:
Blimey clarete, whatever they put in the water in Spain they better stop, it's sending you loopy.

Oh, welcome to the site by the way ;)
Thanks. Never touch the stuff, by the way. But I promise everybody here her card reading ability is extraordinary, they should put her on the Rover board - I'm sure she'd do a better job.

·
Registered
mg_zt
3,335 Posts
lichwolf said:
Its just a shame the present board spent so much time milking the company for every penny. Maybe then we would have had a car industry to be proud of.
What kind of comment is this?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts