MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do I remove the OE Rad/cd from my new Freestyle,I want to replace it with a Sony unit,like my last MGF it is secured in place with hex headed screws both sides and I have loosened these with an allen key,but unlike my last F with the rac/cassette which then just pulled easily out I cannot get this new unit out.
Has it any other fixings or does it need a strong tug.:~(

·
Premium Member
79,177 Posts
Joe - I take it you have the single slot CD Tuner in your car - a BMW sourced Blaupunkt unit. I don't want to put you off but you will have to purchase a wiring loom adaptor to enable fitment of a unit with ISO connectors. The plug used on this Blaupunkt unit is exactly the same as is used on some BMW models - ask any decent ICE dealer and he should be able to supply you the correct (BMW) adaptor. [If you can't get one, contact me and I will help out] If my memory serves me correctly, the connector required costs about £20.

To remove the unit, you need to fully slacken the two hex-headed screws at the side of the unit [make sure you use the correct size hex key - rounding off these screws will be bad news]
Push the screws in as far as they will go and the unit should slide out. Perhaps a bit of a wiggle [note the use of technical terms!] will get the unit out.

Use of excessive force should not be required - you will probably end up breaking something!

Don't whatever you do, go chopping off the big BMW style wiring connector - you will invalidate the vehicle warranty.

Keep us posted 8)

·
Premium Member
79,177 Posts
Thanks Nick!
I was thinking of the opposite connector - to enable fitment of the BMW type CD Tuner to a vehicle with ISO plugs - they are expensive for some reason....:eyes

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Using a L shaped radio fitting tool I managed to wiggle it out,its a very tight fit.It is a Blaupunkt unit,the problem now is the aerial connection fixed to rear of unit is male and the lead from the aerial is L shaped to fit flush at back of unit.
My Sony unit has a female aerial input,I now need to find an aerial adaptor to change this female to male connection.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Nick
That,s all I need, was going to pop into Halfords tomorrow.
Both the terminal blocks look the same on the OE unit and the Sony but I will double check this.
I did notice that the rubber locating plug on the rear of the radio that had been fitted OE had fouled some wiring,I will tie these up and locate them so as they will not get damaged.

·
Premium Member
79,177 Posts
MG Radio/CD ISO Connectors

Joe - the terminal blocks you refer to are known as ISO connectors - these are a godsend these days - they make ICE fitment real easy. They are wired to a certain standard and will work in all vehicles. There are some exceptions - some VW/Audi and Citroen models require some small modifications to enable proper power on/off.

Halfords seem very switched on to this problem of connectors etc and seem to stock a wide range at reasonable prices.

·
Premium Member
31,560 Posts
That's weird, when I changed the radio in my F, it had standard ISO connectors, I wouldn't have thought they would have used a different loom depending on the radio fitment?

Very odd.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
All iso terminal blocks same on my last 2001 F with rad/cass and now my new Freestyle with rad/cd.
Sony unit terminals the same. All that was needed was ISO aerial adaptor £2.99 from Maplin.
Would have been 10 minute job if I had the aerial adaptor.:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.