MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, I would like to say how shocked I initially was with the announcement from that dog about the end of MG-Rover. My hopes were raised from the fact that it seems this may not be the case, however, with reports still not confirming a deal with SAIC is going to be on the cards, I really don't feel too happy.

I pray that MG-R can show that they can remain solvent for the next 2 years, and get a deal with SAIC back on track, after all this time of waiting.

Aside from the money point of view, I think what MG-Rover really need to do now is reveal everything it can on all new model developments. Even if these cars (such as the new small car etc) are only in the form of artist sketches, I feel that they should be officially released to show the world that if they were just given the chance, this is what they could be giving us.

I feel extremely strongly about this over the RD/X60, which I think should be unveiled now, even if not complete. So many years of work has gone into this car, and I think the development of this car should be shown to the public. All the world seems to know is that Rover's cars are old, dated and "boring", and while the MG's are more exciting, they too are getting long in the tooth. This really annoys me, as I'm sure it does many members of this board, but I feel that if MG-Rover would show the public exactly what it could do if it had the funding and was given the chance, then there may be a strong hope for the company yet.

After all, what do they really have to lose now? If a deal was back on and these designs were put into production, they could easily be updated before final release so as to keep ahead of the competition.

·
Registered
21,131 Posts
Even if these cars (such as the new small car etc) are only in the form of artist sketches, I feel that they should be officially released to show the world that if they were just given the chance, this is what they could be giving us.

Agree... if the world could see what is on offer, I'm sure other companies would come forward :)

John

·
Registered
92 Posts
JohnSwitzer said:
Even if these cars (such as the new small car etc) are only in the form of artist sketches, I feel that they should be officially released to show the world that if they were just given the chance, this is what they could be giving us.

Agree... if the world could see what is on offer, I'm sure other companies would come forward :)

John
It is not that simple - far more likely would be for SAIC or someone else to buy any designs, engineering, plant machinery etc - once the company is in receivership. No business would want to take on Rover liabilities if they think it will cripple them.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I said this in a new thread earlier, if there is nothing left show the new 45, show the world that MGR has a ****ing future. It's not ideal but if MGR don't then **** it, what have they to loose, this car was designed by a talented team led by Peter Stevens and i simply don't believe that it is in any way crap. What we need most of all now is for people to believe there is a future for MGR. This car will be MGR's future given a chance. It must be revieled if not now, why the hell not?

·
Registered
rover_800
3,497 Posts
Gus_Mc said:
I said this in a new thread earlier, if there is nothing left show the new 45, show the world that MGR has a ****ing future. It's not ideal but if MGR don't then **** it, what have they to loose, this car was designed by a talented team led by Peter Stevens and i simply don't believe that it is in any way crap. What we need most of all now is for people to believe there is a future for MGR. This car will be MGR's future given a chance. It must be revieled if not now, why the hell not?

I have also said this in many threads. I really believe it would help their case. Hold a press conference, and Show either the actual car, or some incredible renderings of it and proposed future variants. Then say we need 'X' amount to finish this and to go it alone.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
2,103 Posts
I think realistically, MGR need more than just RD60. They need a viable plan that stretches at least 3 or 4 years into the future. They need a 25 replacement. They need a 75 replacement. They need a new sportscar. They need to figure out how much this will cost. They need to ditch the current leadership which has gotten them to this point.

It's just too much territory for any single action to cover. IMO the company must be nationalised, given a totally disinterested group of technocrats to govern it, totally restructure it; and then it may be re-privatised when it has some chance of making headway.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Well allegedly they had 4 new models ready to go. Bring them out and let the world see. And then tell eveyone who it was that denied the cash and why.

·
Registered
rover_800
3,497 Posts
smosquito said:
I think realistically, MGR need more than just RD60. They need a viable plan that stretches at least 3 or 4 years into the future. They need a 25 replacement. They need a 75 replacement. They need a new sportscar. They need to figure out how much this will cost. They need to ditch the current leadership which has gotten them to this point.

It's just too much territory for any single action to cover. IMO the company must be nationalised, given a totally disinterested group of technocrats to govern it, totally restructure it; and then it may be re-privatised when it has some chance of making headway.

They would hardly show everything! They just need to show RDX/60. It's like a trailer for a new movie. If it is great you'll probably see the movie, (or at least pique your interest) but they don't show the whole Movie in the trailer. MG-R could also mention the other stuff in the pipeline but it isn't neccessary to show every thing they have planned. They simply need to say "Behold... MG-Rover's exciting future" and then say "Of course there's a lot more we can't show you, etc......"

·
Registered
rover_800
11,775 Posts
Stephen K. Hone said:
"Behold... MG-Rover's exciting future" and then say "Of course there's a lot more we can't show you, etc......"

if there aint gonna be a company any more why the hell not show what we are going to miss out on, and let SAIC see that they are complete to55ers for chucking in the towel.......

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
SAIC already know what the new cars were going to look like!

It all makes that MG ad where they drive off to the retirement home look rather apt:sad3:

·
Registered
mg_maestro
701 Posts
I said before when the SV came out, why are they bothering wasting their time when they need a high volume 'everyday' car to compete, not a niche market sportscar no matter how good it is. It's seems they spent too much time trying to improve the image of the MG brand and forgot about the stuff people can actually afford. I'm sure there is more to it than that, and no doubt many will think the P4 did a great job to last so long, but they had an opportunity when they took over and now they have lost it due to narrow-mindedness and greed. At least they are ok, what about the other chaps :(

·
Registered
rover_45
310 Posts
Stephen K. Hone said:
They would hardly show everything! They just need to show RDX/60. It's like a trailer for a new movie. If it is great you'll probably see the movie, (or at least pique your interest) but they don't show the whole Movie in the trailer. MG-R could also mention the other stuff in the pipeline but it isn't neccessary to show every thing they have planned. They simply need to say "Behold... MG-Rover's exciting future" and then say "Of course there's a lot more we can't show you, etc......"
The problem is didn't they do that with the TCV concept? It was a movie trailer. There was a qestionaire on line about it which I filled in at least twice. I really hoped that it would come out but time after time it didn't. I guess SAIC know exactly what MG-R have in the pipeline and would be very happy to take those things it wants off the hands of the recievers if that sorry situation should come to pass.

·
Registered
rover_800
3,497 Posts
Riverfish said:
The problem is didn't they do that with the TCV concept? It was a movie trailer. There was a qestionaire on line about it which I filled in at least twice. I really hoped that it would come out but time after time it didn't. I guess SAIC know exactly what MG-R have in the pipeline and would be very happy to take those things it wants off the hands of the recievers if that sorry situation should come to pass.

No they didn't, because the TCV was an indicator of the future of Rover, not THE future. We are saying show the REAL RDX/60 in a news conference. Will it help?? It certainly couldn't hurt!!

·
Registered
412 Posts
Its strange, if the RD60 is near finalised then the governments bridging loan could have been a bridge to that going into production. Prices of the current range... specifically the 45 ZS Cityrover and Streetwise could have been slashed in the mean time to keep some sales rolling in.

Two things, firstly no doubt much of the RD60 has been being discussed with SAIC which may mean that without SAIC it is some way away from being ready.

Secondly I really think its quite possible that things will continue in some form at longbridge and the MG brand is still strong here... well it was before this week, so it might be jumping the gun and losing the element of suprise of showing the new designs when the are quite likely not dead and burried! :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts