MG-Rover.org Forums banner

MG Monthly UK Registrations

207K views 1K replies 39 participants last post by  patpending 
#1 ·
This thread is to discuss, and make guesses about, MG monthly registrations in the UK which are generally on the up - but how much?

I'm not the only fan of MGs who's not here as often as they used to be and I don't think we have the quorum any more to run a separate thread for each month, but if we have a thread with no month in the title, then anyone can start the ball rolling for subsequent months and update the summary of who has guessed what in their own post.

#2 · (Edited)
SEPTEMBER 2017

Actual registrations: 842.

gnu 868 WINNER!
batoutofhull 895
MGJohn 897
bopper 908
Isto 998
adaveabbott 1,050
Patpending 1,143
mirtininkas 2,000

September 2016, the first month when MG was selling only MG3 and MG GS, was a record month for MG Motor with 1,005 cars registered. Now August 2017 was a great month in which MG overtook not only Ssangyong, but even Alfa Romeo, and registered four times as many cars as Subaru! My feeling is that sales are going very well in 2017 and this month I have seen several dozen sales from a handful of areas not including the big-volume players, so I am going to start the ball rolling before the month has even ended...

My guess for MG monthly registrations for September is 1,143. Aiming high. Post your guesses and I'll come back regularly to summarise them.

#9 ·
Veering a little OT on my own thread but it's an interesting point...

I just wish they would make the 3 in a 3 door, then I would happily buy one. It would be perfect for me to commute in and I think it'll look a bit better too...
The facelifted 3 which we expect to get next year is a five-door only, as is the new larger Polo. I think it's the five-door that's the core design and then they decide if a three-door variant can command a premium to recoup the extra design, engineering and production cost. In Germany, where there is a long history of two-door saloons, even large ones like the Granada, these were seen as "poverty spec/ entry level" and buyers used to expect them to be cheaper than four-/five-doors...

So I'm afraid your wish certainly won't come true over the next three years or so and is unlikely to do so afterwards (even MG3SW under NAC was five-door only although the development work had already been done). Why not try a five-door and think about some custom graphics to make it look how you want?

(Facelift 3)

#8 ·
Thanks for those five guesses leaving me way out in front - only I and Dave predict MG Motor's best-ever month with a range of only two cars to sell. August sales were "only" around 150 (169?), a great result for the last month of an old registration.

I note that this is SMMT's press release timetable:

September 2017: 5 October 2017
October 2017: 6 November 2017
November 2017: 5 December 2017
December 2017: 4 January 2018

https://www.smmt.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/News-releases-2017-publication-dates.pdf

#16 · (Edited)
842. Down in a falling market!

gnu was the most pessimistic and wins!

Mind you, look at the usual competition.

Ssangyong 454 down from 983 in 2016

Subaru 510 (762)

and Alfa Romeo must be wishing they had registered a couple for the forecourt - 841 (though up from 2016 (752))

https://www.smmt.co.uk/vehicle-data/car-registrations/

YTD

Alfa 4,009 (4,038)

MG 3,321 (3,305)

Ssangyong 3,005 (3,887)

Subaru 2,118 (2,807)

#21 ·
Financially Brexit may be fine for the uk. Emotionally I feel differently. My home in france is worth just over £40k.Thats how much it cost me to build it myself. 40% would go in taxes if I sold. The uk would impose a stamp duty on me of about £13,000 on the houses we are looking at if I bought in the uk because I have a house abroad.
Europe needs sorting out, yes. But with us out of it we will not have any influence.
There are 3 million expats in the eu. There is a proposed cap on health benefits to those over 65. They already have to pay 2k euros in top up health insurance. If that goes they may not be able to afford health care outside of the uk.
An influx of elderley expats coming back to the uk would not be healthy for the NHS.
Not brexit. more brokeit.

#22 ·
In EU we had very little influence. Usually quite the opposite. Some folks fail to notice that.

I have ageing relatives on the mainland with property too. Elderly ex-pats appear to return anyway as things start to slow down with age associated problems and issues for them.

Whilst there will always be some who will suffer in some ways with any change, overall longer term benefit for the Nation as a whole is the much more desirable benefit and must take priority.

The likes of Gina Miller and those she represents with massive funding backing moving to undermine things for the rest of us appears to get much air time on our equally biased media. These are all mostly media "I'm alright Jacks and Jills" with the mindset of why fix it if it aint broke ... for them! Some of that UK media get UK taxpayer's money via EU Brussels hand out so not surprisingly they have this "We're alright" mindsets.

Looking out the window as I type this, huge black clouds are headed this way bringing more rain. I blame BREXIT ... :frown:......:wink:..... As yet another day will come and go with me being unable to work on the cars for long ...."Rain stopped play"

Reactions: batoutofhull
#24 ·
I fear consumer confidence is low with regard to cars particularly due to the government's lack of clarity over Brexit and also the situation with diesel and petrol cars.

Whilst diesel has taken a massive hit, it seems that rather than buying a petrol or electric car instead people are just staying away from the showrooms.

#25 ·
The sooner the whole UK Nation realises that those parasites on the mainland will never release their parasitic grip on UK funds without huge resistance to their sustaining host and let it go the better. Being easy was never on the cards.

Those we entrust to the Nation's longer term well being in both the Red and Blue corners and all the intermediates will also need to understand that. Thankfully, there are signs that even T. May is coming round to realise that just maybe, her stance following her selfish and privileged party line by voting remain may just have been the wrong one. Maybe not for her party and "the few", but, most certainly for the Nation as a whole.

Also, May should have stressed what Brexit really means. Brexit means ....Yes, it means really severing that parasitic umbilical cord to Brussels permanently and most certainly the sooner the better. Even she and most of her party are coming round to the concept that "No Deal" will be the best deal for the Nation as a whole. Yes, some jobs will be lost but only a fraction of the total of the millions of UK jobs lost in the past forty odd years as a result of our membership of what I voted for, the EEC and not the parasitical all consuming Monster the so called Union has evolved into during all those years.

The parasites will have to get used to the fact that their life sustaining host wants out ... and sharpish deal or no deal.

Just the way I see things... could be wrong of course :laugh:

Meantime I shall continue to creep about in my old British Built MGs and Rovers, including the one with a Chinese built MG6 engine under its bonnet.

OK, I'll hold my hands up ... I did of course lie about... creeping about... >:)

#26 · (Edited)
And October is drawing to a close. Has GS "sold out" until January? How is 3 selling? How many ZSs have been registered as demo vehicles etc?

Last October's sales were just 257 but all the guesses were at least 100 higher.
http://forums.mg-rover.org/mg-saic-...ss-mg-uk-registrations-october-2016-a-830705/

I wonder what the difference is this month? I could imagine 3 sales being quite strong and maybe 100 ZS registrations. Last month was 842 and we were all too optimistic, but September is a strong month.

I'll have a guess at a more-pessimistic 238. EDIT figure is only 194 so I was not pessimistic enough. The ZS dealer demonstrators were used for the press fleet which reduces registrations but helps margins.

patpending 238 WINNER but hoping for much better things to come...

batoutofhull 265
adaveabbott 349
gnu 360
Isto 575

I see the figures are published on 6 November so last guesses on Sunday 5th November please.

#33 · (Edited)
There's YTD only for October at 0945.

Alfa 4302
MG 3515
Ssangyong 3215
Subaru 2217.

Alfa is well over 4000.

EDIT September YTD was:
Alfa 4,009
MG 3,321
Ssangyong 3,005
Subaru 2,118

so October month is 194. I win but it was even lower than I thought.

YTD/YTD/Month Oct

Alfa 4302 4009 293
MG 3515 3321 194
Ssan 3215 3005 210
Sub 2217 2118 99

#35 ·
It's all here: https://www.smmt.co.uk/vehicle-data/car-registrations/

The likes of Ford, Renault and Vauxhall have had a shocking month so that overall sales are down 12% (MG: 25%). YTD the market is down 4% and MG, which had been showing an increase, is now down 1%.

I think it's possibly true that no new stock of GS is due to arrive until 2018, and with the press cars being dealer demonstatrators, MG's own registrations of ZS are low. MG3 sales must have been low. However, we know that the dealers will have had dozens of ZS orders (a dozen orders noted over only a few days across under a quarter of all dealers) and that the first of these will be registered in November.

I think as interested prospective customers come in for a look at the ZS, they may buy 3 or GS instead...