MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 606 Posts

·
Registered
36,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This thread is to discuss, and make guesses about, MG monthly registrations in the UK which are generally on the up - but how much?

I'm not the only fan of MGs who's not here as often as they used to be and I don't think we have the quorum any more to run a separate thread for each month, but if we have a thread with no month in the title, then anyone can start the ball rolling for subsequent months and update the summary of who has guessed what in their own post.

·
Registered
36,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
SEPTEMBER 2017

Actual registrations: 842.

gnu 868 WINNER!
batoutofhull 895
MGJohn 897
bopper 908
Isto 998
adaveabbott 1,050
Patpending 1,143
mirtininkas 2,000

September 2016, the first month when MG was selling only MG3 and MG GS, was a record month for MG Motor with 1,005 cars registered. Now August 2017 was a great month in which MG overtook not only Ssangyong, but even Alfa Romeo, and registered four times as many cars as Subaru! My feeling is that sales are going very well in 2017 and this month I have seen several dozen sales from a handful of areas not including the big-volume players, so I am going to start the ball rolling before the month has even ended...

My guess for MG monthly registrations for September is 1,143. Aiming high. Post your guesses and I'll come back regularly to summarise them.

·
Registered
289 Posts
OK I'll play too.

I just wish they would make the 3 in a 3 door, then I would happily buy one. It would be perfect for me to commute in and I think it'll look a bit better too...

·
Registered
36,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for those five guesses leaving me way out in front - only I and Dave predict MG Motor's best-ever month with a range of only two cars to sell. August sales were "only" around 150 (169?), a great result for the last month of an old registration.

I note that this is SMMT's press release timetable:

September 2017: 5 October 2017
October 2017: 6 November 2017
November 2017: 5 December 2017
December 2017: 4 January 2018

https://www.smmt.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/News-releases-2017-publication-dates.pdf

·
Registered
36,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Veering a little OT on my own thread but it's an interesting point...

I just wish they would make the 3 in a 3 door, then I would happily buy one. It would be perfect for me to commute in and I think it'll look a bit better too...
The facelifted 3 which we expect to get next year is a five-door only, as is the new larger Polo. I think it's the five-door that's the core design and then they decide if a three-door variant can command a premium to recoup the extra design, engineering and production cost. In Germany, where there is a long history of two-door saloons, even large ones like the Granada, these were seen as "poverty spec/ entry level" and buyers used to expect them to be cheaper than four-/five-doors...

So I'm afraid your wish certainly won't come true over the next three years or so and is unlikely to do so afterwards (even MG3SW under NAC was five-door only although the development work had already been done). Why not try a five-door and think about some custom graphics to make it look how you want?

(Facelift 3)

·
Registered
289 Posts
Veering a little OT on my own thread but it's an interesting point...

The facelifted 3 which we expect to get next year is a five-door only, as is the new larger Polo. I think it's the five-door that's the core design and then they decide if a three-door variant can command a premium to recoup the extra design, engineering and production cost. In Germany, where there is a long history of two-door saloons, even large ones like the Granada, these were seen as "poverty spec/ entry level" and buyers used to expect them to be cheaper than four-/five-doors...

So I'm afraid your wish certainly won't come true over the next three years or so and is unlikely to do so afterwards (even MG3SW under NAC was five-door only although the development work had already been done). Why not try a five-door and think about some custom graphics to make it look how you want?

(Facelift 3)

https://i2.wp.com/www.carnewschina.com/wp-
content/uploads/2017/04/mg-3-5.jpg?ssl=1
Yeah, maybe. In truth I'd love another express style van but I know that won't happen. But a 3 may be on the cards still yet.

·
Registered
36,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
842. Down in a falling market!

gnu was the most pessimistic and wins!

Mind you, look at the usual competition.

Ssangyong 454 down from 983 in 2016

Subaru 510 (762)

and Alfa Romeo must be wishing they had registered a couple for the forecourt - 841 (though up from 2016 (752))

https://www.smmt.co.uk/vehicle-data/car-registrations/

YTD

Alfa 4,009 (4,038)

MG 3,321 (3,305)

Ssangyong 3,005 (3,887)

Subaru 2,118 (2,807)

·
Registered
36,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It seems MG has overtaken Ssangyong and Subaru, and is doing a sort of Brett Sinclair and Danny Wilde race with Alfa which it is sometimes winning.

This before launching an affordable car into a high-growth segment!

·
Registered
cityrover
19 Posts
It seems MG has overtaken Ssangyong and Subaru, and is doing a sort of Brett Sinclair and Danny Wilde race with Alfa which it is sometimes winning.

This before launching an affordable car into a high-growth segment!

They launched an affordable car into a high growth segment last year and sales for September have dropped.

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,882 Posts
They launched an affordable car into a high growth segment last year and sales for September have dropped.
Oh gloom and doom. ...:surprise:

Sales for a massively wide range of vehicles DROPPED in the same way. Further continuing growth on growth expectations is for the clueless and unrealistic.

Other factors play their part.

Unlike many, I do NOT blame Brexit ~ which is a convenient know-all media smoothie name for severing the parasitical umbilical cord of UK taxes flowing to the so called Union of Europe.

I wonder how long before those media know-alls realise that NO DEAL is the best deal for the UK in the longer term. Yes, there will be downside negatives. In much the same way as my voting for EEC membership along with many others back in the 1970s has effectively negated millions of UK jobs as the parasitical EU Monster has evolved into over the past forty-odd years.

Particularly in those on nice BIG earner gravy trains in Brussels, many on the mainland sincerely believe that the UK's "success" is solely due to EU membership so cough up those massive EU taxes mug UK. Nothing to do with our having sufficient quantities of the "Right Stuff". An insult. A costly one at that! :bb:

1 - 20 of 606 Posts