MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
not a bad right up ,seem to like the car which is a good start,but in the main picture the MG7 seems to have the wrong front bumper on it any one else seen this ??
still a good start .
still waiting for the new TF ..............................

·
Registered
MG TF
498 Posts
I read this earlier and also thought it showed off the new MG in a good light. I particularly liked the English street names around the Nanging factory.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
As seen here....

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2003090001-2007200629,00.html

Excellent story! And hardcore proof MG7s are now rolling off the line in small doses at the plant in China. Also, I noticed some good references to things we've heard, including the second line in Longbridge being able to produce saloon cars (MG7 or anything based on that floorpan at least).

Why are they being so positive now? Damn the British press! Lol.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
tunster you are so right if the press looked at MGR in a different light may be they still would be with us,any way ..........if NAC MG get a TF out soon or ......a revamp ZR i will have one ....or may be two ........

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
This has got to be the best story regarding NAC-MG that anyone has yet written. It has shown that is is possible to be positive about the future of Longbridge even with the demolision and overall anxiousness that comes with the UK restart of the brand.

It is especially good in that it mentions the preproduction work that is occuring at LB as we speak, it mentions the second line that was left there for sedan production (MG 7), it talks of the current and prospective UK worker numbers, it shows the respect that both the Chinese owners and workers have for the brand and it mentions the not so often revealed fact that NAC also own Austin, Morris, and Wolseley, all of which could be used for future vehicles (we know Austin will be at least)

Well done to Ken Gibson and the guys at The Sun, great story!

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
wait till ex-tester shows up and posts "oh nooooes!! that car was made in the UK!"
:irked:
Did you look towards the back of the picture ? There is nothing else on the line apart from the 4 cars ! Where were the build cards and suchlike ? :lol:

One other thing following on from the Auto Express article, the engine bay in the pictures shows an EU3 engine installation not EU4. Euro4 75/ZT had a different header tank, air cleaner, dirty air duct and fly by wire throttle.

·
Registered
rover_75
6,031 Posts
:irked:
Did you look towards the back of the picture ? There is nothing else on the line apart from the 4 cars ! Where were the build cards and suchlike ? :lol:

One other thing following on from the Auto Express article, the engine bay in the pictures shows an EU3 engine installation not EU4. Euro4 75/ZT had a different header tank, air cleaner, dirty air duct and fly by wire throttle.
Would I be right in thinking that cars sold in EU for 07 have to be Euro4 compliant to pass type approval?

Can anyone confirm that MG7s have acheived Type Approval for sale in EU?

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Would I be right in thinking that cars sold in EU for 07 have to be Euro4 compliant to pass type approval?

Can anyone confirm that MG7s have acheived Type Approval for sale in EU?
Yes, they do have to be EU4 compliant. Not sure about the type approval though. I think from January 2008 they have to be EU5 !!

·
Registered
rover_75
6,031 Posts
So unless the latest upgraded Ks are fitted to new cars they CANT be sold in the EU.

Puts the emphasis back on NAC I'd say.

They definitely cant sell cars made in UK back to the UK.....

What mods have they done to get Euro 4 compliance?

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
So unless the latest upgraded Ks are fitted to new cars they CANT be sold in the EU.

Puts the emphasis back on NAC I'd say.

They definitely cant sell cars made in UK back to the UK.....

What mods have they done to get Euro 4 compliance?
Unless the cars comply with EU4 emission laws they cannot be sold in Europe. I would think NAC are working hard to get the engines up to EU4 standard. All the baseline work was done by MG Rover in 2004/5 so it shouldnt be too difficult.

Mods for EU4 when MG Rover were doing them were, Starter Catalyst, Fly by wire throttle, New air cleaner, new dirty air intake (where the diesel one is!), new coolant expansion tank, as the air cleaner took up the space where it used to be and new engine calibration. Probably more stuff aswell but i cant remember !!

·
Premium Member
31,560 Posts
The engines fitted may well be EU3 models as they are for Chinese consumption. The EU4 engines are complete and will naturally be used over in the UK and in China for exports to countries LB doesn't export to.

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
The engines fitted may well be EU3 models as they are for Chinese consumption. The EU4 engines are complete and will naturally be used over in the UK and in China for exports to countries LB doesn't export to.
The engine fitted in the picture IS EU3, not a case of "may well be"!

If the engines were already EU4 compliant you would have thought they would have been installed when the cars were built, (as most of you have argued with me in pointing out the cars were built in China), just to show NAC are "up to speed". I cant see the point of building two different specs of engines its just not cost effective ! :p

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
extester, the general population doesn't care about EU3 or EU16.
that PR photo and articles weren't made so you can find out which engine they're using, it doesn't mean anything.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
There's a big, positive write up in todays Telegraph too, with a drive in the grey car that all the other journo's have had a go in. All positive and commends NACs achievements, but also has a hefty swipe at the P4 and the DTI too.
Paul Stowe is quoted on there as saying he might only stay another 18 months with MG before moving on.

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
extester, the general population doesn't care about EU3 or EU16.
that PR photo and articles weren't made so you can find out which engine they're using, it doesn't mean anything.
If you want to buy one you should care ! No EU4, No sales in Europe or the UK, simple as that !

Its not a law that manufacturers have to abide by "if they want to!" They HAVE to. EU5 Comes into force in the next couple of years aswell, which means another slice of cash has to be spent.

My original comment wasn't a criticism it was an observation !

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
they will sell cars in europe so they will do whatever is needed to do it legally. I don't think you can sell a car under the coat.
the average consumer doesn't know what engine regulations are so the preproduction specs are of no importance.

1 - 20 of 109 Posts