MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, Im new to the forum and would like some help?

I have recently purchased an MGF year 2000 model. Lovely car, but i do have a slight problem with it......

here goes--- when cold the car judders quite badly but when it warms up this goes away.

Also when on the motaway between about 60 and 80mph it will start juddering again until u put your foot flat on the accelator and then will start pulling again....

has anyone had this problem or would know why this would do it..... IT does only happen from time to time on the motaway NOT always.

MANY THANKS

Faye

·
Registered
mg_zs
1,961 Posts
hi matey welcome to the forums :grouphug: when i first had my mg shortly after i started to get the same problem . the juddering only happened now and again then slowly got worse like i'd go to pull off from a junction and the revs would completly die then suddenly come back and as your driving you could feel the juddering if you slightly eccelarated , i took mine to the mgf centre and they changed the ht leads ,rotor arm ,plugs and dizzy cap because they had started to corrode and it instantly cured the problem and drove like a dream

·
Registered
mg_zs
1,961 Posts
hi matey i think it was around £190 but when they took everything off they replaced it ALL with the very top notch stuff , so you could probly like they told me do it for a bit cheaper if you swapped like for like but theres no gaurantee how long they could last for , i changed the petrol filter aswell to make everything new and the car really does now drive like new

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
If it's an MY2000 model it probably won't have a distributor (it will use lost spark technology) - so don't think that you're going mad if you can't find it.

·
Registered
mg_zs
1,961 Posts
If it's an MY2000 model it probably won't have a distributor (it will use lost spark technology) - so don't think that you're going mad if you can't find it.
mine is a MY2000 and iv'e got a distributer that was part of the main problem being corroded

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hiya, my 51 reg F did exactly the same. I took it to my local MOT garage and htey changed the spark plugs and it cost me £35 in all - so it shouldn't be an expensive job. Good Luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi ya guys, thanks for all your advice..... right I got my fella to change the spark plugs and the 2 leads --- yes 2 leads!! I think mine is the MY2000 model. And thought this had solved the problem, but NO!! im not happy, I am going to change the COIL PACKS on the top of the spark plugs next but can anyone give me any advice on what to do next if the problem is still there???

Cheers people
Faye
xxxx

·
Registered
mg_zs
1,961 Posts
ello again
you could also change the fuel filter for the sake of a couple of pound its worth a try ,,,,,,let me know how you get on

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Right, ive changed plugs/leads/coil packs/ and now the fuel filter!!! And no luck with solving this judder/loss of power I have on the car. It still only happens occasionaly but getting more and more frequent.

PLEASE guys any help will be greatly appreciated.

Faye xxxx

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Right, ive changed plugs/leads/coil packs/ and now the fuel filter!!! And no luck with solving this judder/loss of power I have on the car. It still only happens occasionaly but getting more and more frequent.

PLEASE guys any help will be greatly appreciated.

Faye xxxx
Faye....

The problem with your 'problem' is that there could be any number of things that could cause the juddering, from something as simple as a loose wire, to something as complex as a faulty ECU.

Instaed of just changing things ad-hoc and hoping it works, why not just bite the bullet and get you car to a decent garage with a 'test book'..... they may be able to just plug your car in and diagnose the problem in 2 minutes, which in the long run could be cheaper than just changing this,that or the other because someone on an internet forum said so!!.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for your reply mark L, I have had it into the garage on thursday and they plugged the car in,and they said it had a fault on CYLINDER 3. Which is why we have replaced the items above.

Do you think i should get it re-checked then, just incase

many thanks

Faye xcx

·
Registered
mgf
845 Posts
I get this sometimes with my 25 which uses the same engine. It tends not to happen right from cold, but if I drive the car for a short period, then stop the engine for a short period (Getting money out of a cash machine). Then the engine re-starts like a bag of nails (Only sometimes). Sticking it in neutral as giving it a quick throttle blip sorts it out.

I think this is actually an ECU problem. (Not one that is solved by changing ECU's just a fact of life).

Could also be cam position sensor. This is located on the Cam cover. Might be worth checking it is tight. Also check the wiring connectors for corrosion.

Shaf

·
Registered
mgf
223 Posts
This is probably comletely wrong....but I had quite simular issues with my old tigra. Thought it was the ecu unit ant first, but turned out to be the lambda sensor.... (not sure ifI spelt that right guys).

Anyway... just an idea.

... yes... that's right.... I owned a tigra... :boxedin: :lol:

·
Registered
mgf
845 Posts
Just been trying to help someone out with their steptronic problems and something occurred to me that may be related to these judder problems you are seeing.

At idle the ECU should enter idle speed control. This is a system where it uses a motor to control a small valve to let air bypass the throttle (Which is totally closed with the foot off). The idle controller will try and keep the rpm around 800 or so, depending on coolant temp.

Idle speed control should only be active when the accelerator pedal is not pressed.

If there is a problem with the signals going to the ECU and it thinks that the pedal is pressed even though it is not, then it probably will not go into idle speed control and the engine will judder as if it is about to stall.

When you guys say you have judder on the motorway. Is it actually with the pedal deffinately pressed?

Shaf

·
Registered
mgf
845 Posts
Webby,
try disconnecting the throttle position sensor and reconnecting it.

I had some of these judder porblems just after start up (As I have described in one of my posts).

I was helping someone else to problem solve a different issue on his car and disconnecter my throttle position sensor to check I get the same fault as him. Ever since then I don't think I have had the judder problem.

Let me know what happens.

Shaf

1 - 20 of 25 Posts