MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right - last month I finallybit the bullet and signed up to the MGCC, got a badge and everything, having been thinking about it for ages. The big pull was that I read a mates MG Enthusiast, and thought - this is actually an ok mag - I'll sign up and get that delivered for a year, as it comes with MGCC membership.

Yesterday I get my first copy in the post, only to discover the editor's letter saying "oh, and now we're not sending our mags to the MGCC after this month's".

So a) I have joined under false pretences, as my membership clearly stated that this magazine was part of my subscription, and b) They have a subscription offer in the post-MGCC magazine, the only magazine I have received as a subscriber, which costs the same as my MGCC membership, and gets you a free year's membership of said club into the bargain!

Had I hung on about a week after I joined I could just have subscribed to the mag and got the membership free anyway, for the same price I paid. Now I have to pay for a subscription to the mag.

To quote Johnny Rotten: "Ever get the feeling you've been ripped off?"

(representatives of the MGCC are very welcome to explain this to me, especially as the editorial in this month's mag said 'since last month's bombshell that we won't be going out to MGCC members anymore,' and thus you knew a month before I joined, but still claimed on your website that I was getting this magazine when i signed up!)

·
Registered
36,497 Posts
Right - last month I finallybit the bullet and signed up to the MGCC, got a badge and everything, having been thinking about it for ages. The big pull was that I read a mates MG Enthusiast, and thought - this is actually an ok mag - I'll sign up and get that delivered for a year, as it comes with MGCC membership.

Yesterday I get my first copy in the post, only to discover the editor's letter saying "oh, and now we're not sending our mags to the MGCC after this month's".

So a) I have joined under false pretences, as my membership clearly stated that this magazine was part of my subscription, and b) They have a subscription offer in the post-MGCC magazine, the only magazine I have received as a subscriber, which costs the same as my MGCC membership, and gets you a free year's membership of said club into the bargain!

Had I hung on about a week after I joined I could just have subscribed to the mag and got the membership free anyway, for the same price I paid. Now I have to pay for a subscription to the mag.

To quote Johnny Rotten: "Ever get the feeling you've been ripped off?"

(representatives of the MGCC are very welcome to explain this to me, especially as the editorial in this month's mag said 'since last month's bombshell that we won't be going out to MGCC members anymore,' and thus you knew a month before I joined, but still claimed on your website that I was getting this magazine when i signed up!)
It's something to do with the MGCC no longer using the services of Octane Publishing(?).

Strangely enough, as I was just thinking to myself that the MGCC magazine "Safety Fast" was less relevant than "MG Enthusiast", there was a larger than life photo of Scarlet Fever in the former! The man to whom I owe all my expertise in mudflaps!

I've noticed that if your MGCC membership extends beyond June, you get a special deal on MGE at 55% off.

Alternatively, you could tell the MGCC that your membership application was based on old info...

·
Registered
11,387 Posts
Strangely enough, as I was just thinking to myself that the MGCC magazine "Safety Fast" was less relevant than "MG Enthusiast" ...
We have yet to see which is the better magazine after the split, articles written by MGCC members may well end up in "Safety Fast"...

·
Registered
mg_tf
8,321 Posts
MGE was a really crap magazine before it raped Safety Fast and took most of the good bits turning MGE into merely a poor mag and leaving a much reduced SF. I for one am glad that my MGCC subs don't go anywhere near MGE now and wont be subscribing to MGE again. Hopefully SF will now return to the top quality award winning magazine it used to be. The only real winner of this shotgun aliance was MGE, and even then they failed to fully capitalise on what they got.

I believe MGE is no longer with Octane Media which is also part of the reason for the divorce.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm, interesting. Maybe I'll hang in and see if Safety Fast improves before I get too stroppy then...

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,119 Posts
I for one think it's a shame that the they are splitting but helpfully the legacy will give SF the kick up the backside that it desperately needed about 10 years ago.

I hope that the MGCC can find some sort of direction before it's too late, fingers crossed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts