MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
cityrover
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MG have informed me today that the revs continuing to rise sometimes 5 or 600 when you lift your foot off the throttle is a "characteristic" of the GS. Also says many other car manufacturers have the same issues, must think we are all gullible.
Anyone else had this problem and any fixes, I like the car but this is unacceptable.

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum

Was it the dealer or head office that said it was ok?

Either way it isn't correct.

Might be worth involving the AA or RAC.

James

·
Registered
mg_tf
397 Posts
Can you give us more details? How long have you had the car? Is this when you’re changing gear, just driving along the road or when it’s in neutral?

I’ve got one of these with 23K miles on it, I occasionally get the rev rise a little when I’m changing gear but nothing that causes me a problem.

The 3 does this a bit, particularly when changing from 1st to 2nd it’s a known trait that you soon get used to.

I’m not saying you have to put up with something that’s less than perfect but I don’t think I’ve ever had a car that didn’t have a design quirk.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
The rumoured £1 coin trick

Can you give us more details? How long have you had the car? Is this when you’re changing gear, just driving along the road or when it’s in neutral?

I’ve got one of these with 23K miles on it, I occasionally get the rev rise a little when I’m changing gear but nothing that causes me a problem.

The 3 does this a bit, particularly when changing from 1st to 2nd it’s a known trait that you soon get used to.

I’m not saying you have to put up with something that’s less than perfect but I don’t think I’ve ever had a car that didn’t have a design quirk.
For the MG3 I heard a rumour that placing an old style £1 coin behind the clutch pedal prevents the switch that over-revs the engine from engaging.

I think that most modern cars do this to comply with the EU5 or EU6 emissions.

Cheers..

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
The problem does exist with the MG3. When changing up from 1st gear to 2nd, the revs will rise whilst the clutch is depressed. The COMPLETE cure is to allow the clutch pedal to come all the way up whilst using 1st gear. We tend to use 1st gear just to get the car underway without fully releasing the clutch. Just why the MG3 behaves like this, I've no idea, but it does. But it's just a matter of using the clutch properly.

I have read that the clutch pedal lever operates operates a switch which needs to be fully released whilst in 1st gear.

Does the GS problem sound like the same quirk??

·
Registered
11,863 Posts
The 3 only over revs if you don't take your foot fully off the clutch in first gear before changing to 2nd, I had a hire Cheverlot spark (don't ask why) and that was terrible for it. On mine at least if you remove your foot completely the over rev does not happen.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
91 Posts
Strange that it affects 2 models, unless they are using a similar set of cpu settings. Does it affect the MG6 or ZS at all?

·
Registered
11,863 Posts
Currently driving a 67 plate GS while my 3 is in the garage.

The over rev issue is very odd an worse than in my 3, it does it a lot more and in more years almost all year changes.

However if you lift of he throttle a moment before pushing the clutch down it doesn't do it, it seems to be more throttle related than clutch related to me.

Once you get used to stopping it I find it fine to drive although quick gearchanges pulling off from standstill make it much harder to curtail.

I'm actually quite liking it more than the ZS I had as a courtesy car mainly because it has a decent amount of power and overtaking is much better than my 3 of the ZS being a turbo.

And I'm not overly anSUV kind of person.

·
Registered
11,863 Posts
No wasnt me but I think ive seen that one around a couple of times.

This one is the goldy beige horrid colour, took it to Rockingham yesterday and today for the BTCC obviously not to race it round the track lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts