MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
rover_75
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone heard anything re distributors for MG in Australia yet.?
I remember Nanjing stating they planned to export to Australia amongst other places as a market.I guess we will get RHD european versions adapted to Australian conditions should they export here.As previously done by MGR, with the 75, I would expect the MG7 model to arrive with the 2.5 motor as we are used to reasonably powered cars here in the local market.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
5,867 Posts
The problem as I see it is not one of dealers but one of importer/distributor. Motor Group Australia Pty Ltd (aka MG Rover Australia) still exists and has yet to be wound up. Presumably they still hold the right to import and distribute MG cars in Australia. So they will need to resolve the importer and distributor issue first and then recruit a good collection of strategically placed dealers who can really sell cars.

Apparently several Australian car dealers have approached NAC directly seeking to sell MGs here. Whether these are former dealers, new dealers or even the Administrators of Motor Group Australia I can't say.

It certainly doesn't include the Tasmanian dealers as they closed up shop when the owner sold all his franchises and yeards to various competitors. They only ever sold to order in any case.

·
Registered
rover_75
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It appears MGR are still trading as a going concern in NewZealand. As I recollect most of the previous dealers here were mostly boutique type dealers in higher end type vehicles. Depending on the image and dollar value,I think it will again be distributed by non main line dealers,which I think is a good thing as it may retain a bit of the exclusive image MG has here.
I hope they condition the cars for Australian conditions properly.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Ssangyong dealers are supposed to be distributing the new generation cars from Saic. and they will be badged as ssangyongs.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
5,867 Posts
Well that'll mean the Ssangyong 750 will sell about as many as the Ssangyong Mercedes lookalike - ie none. Only someone who just doesn't get that a Ssangyong prestige car is an oxymoron will buy one.

·
Registered
rover_75
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gotta agree with that. I think a car with MG on it will do well however.
Australia has a long but fragmented association with MG and Rover but MG is well respected.If a concerted marketing programe is implemented,with the prestige thing attached, they will do well.
As for SAIC ,Ssangyong - no one I know is interested in the cars,maybe some of the cheap 4wd cars but in the credability stakes,it wont get a look in.

·
Registered
685 Posts
The Ssangyong Chairman didn;t sell because it ended up being as as expensive as the real thing...a c/e class Merc. It also looked like a ten year old e class...very old fashioned. However the new one which looks like a Lexus 300gs may do better. However, I agree the 750 may do no better here... I just want it marketed for parts. !!!

·
Registered
rover_75
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i think there will be plenty of parts via NAC if they export here as they appear to be honouring their promise of making parts for both old and new models via x part etc.
It would be great to MG back here again and if the quality is good,all will be good.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts