Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pretty sure they will fit but here goes anyway:

Will these early Rover Metro GTI alloys fit a R100 ok??:

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers.
Hard to be sure with these classic looking alloys as they had the same style ones on the old Metro, although I believe there is supposed to be a slight difference in the style, but wouldn't know for sure as not seen enough on either to compare.

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
snellgrc said:
all alloys fitted to the "new" metro 1989 onwards will fit rover 100's

for more information on metro alloy fitment have a wander over to

www.performancemetro.info
Cheers, some good info from that link.

However, now indecision has set in after reading this:
Its worth remembering that the models featuring 185 width tyres have a different bottom ball joint to models that came with 155 tyres. This is important when replacing the lower wishbone which comes with the balljoint already attached.
Does this mean you need to change the wishbone to run with the wider tyres, OR you don't need to change anything at all as this was just because the cars that normally had those tyres fitted also had the extra anti-roll bars/dampers fitted and so that component was slightly different??

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
you dont need to do anything to run the wider tyres fitted to the GTi/GTa alloys - However - on non GTi/GTa cars there is nothing stopping you fitting the standard size ture onto the rims to make low speed steering easier - you will see what i mean when you do fit them.

The GTi/GTa had a different camber (i think or was it castor?) which was optimised for the 185 width tyres - the wishbone itself is the same - its the joint riveted to the end of the wishbone that is different. This made low speed steering slightly easier

You can retro-fit anti roll bars and dampers to any metro with the right bits - getting hold of the some of the bushes is tricky i have heard as the GTi has been out of production for ten years.

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
snellgrc said:
you dont need to do anything to run the wider tyres fitted to the GTi/GTa alloys - However - on non GTi/GTa cars there is nothing stopping you fitting the standard size ture onto the rims to make low speed steering easier - you will see what i mean when you do fit them.

The GTi/GTa had a different camber (i think or was it castor?) which was optimised for the 185 width tyres - the wishbone itself is the same - its the joint riveted to the end of the wishbone that is different. This made low speed steering slightly easier

You can retro-fit anti roll bars and dampers to any metro with the right bits - getting hold of the some of the bushes is tricky i have heard as the GTi has been out of production for ten years.
So, basically no problems either way.... that's ok then.

Not quite sure what you mean in the first bit.... fitting the non-GTi tyres onto the GTi rims??.... is that not bad for the tyre??

Not so much worried about making a 100 GTi out of the car I've got - it's not worth it in the long run, although alloys going really cheap and wider tyres should make some improvement in both looks and handling - especially in the wet.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
well the rover 100 came with alloys fitted with 155 tyres - but the alloy is the same width as the GTi alloys - so the alloys will take both 155 and 185 metro tyres. However you cant fit 185 tyres onto standard metro steels wheels

Wider tyres do look better - and handle slightly better in the wet - aslong as they are good ones - avoid the cheaper tyres like camacs unless you like wheel spinning.

the choice of 185 tyre is a constant hot topic on the performance metro club forums found at www.performancemetro.com (not .info)

a good value compromise is the toyo one - which can be had cheaply at www.mytyres.com

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Interesting.

Not got alloys on mine - its the bog standard steel 155/65R13 wheels and quality Rover plastic wheel covers :URGOD:

EDIT: So does that mean then that standard 155 tyres could be fitted to the GTI rims if the 155 R100 alloys were the same width...???

·
Registered
rover_45
11,619 Posts
The only 100's that came with alloys wear,

111GSI 1995-December 1996 when it was dropped in favour of the Ascot and Ascot SE models which saw out the end of the 100 production.

The 114GTA from 1995-1999 and the 114GSI from December 1996-1999 when they dropped the wood and velour interior and the rev counter.

Just a word of warning some people reported that with the GTI alloys on and the correct type of tyre for the alloy made the steering VERY, VERY heavy at low speeds.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts