MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guru/s,

I have a dilema with a 214 Bubble. Got the car with this problem.

I had no pulse to coil from ecu. F/whl sensor pulsed ok and full wiring continuity from sensor to ecu and ecu to coil. Swopped ecu and car immediately started and then stopped.
I either have to wait a while or disconnect and reconnect ecu and car will again start and cut out. If I immediately try to restart it just turns over.

On crank fuel pump is working and have a spark, I am assuming it cuts injection pulse. The original alarm keyfob still works the locking and turns the immobiliser on and off (It wont crank if I leave it on). I'm not too sure how the security system works. Here's my question >>

DOES THE MEMS UNIT NEED TO BE REPROGRAMMED TO SUIT ALARM UNIT
(5AS?). IS THERE A PROCEDURE LIKE THE FOUR PRESSES OF THE BUTTON??

THAAAAAAAANX IN ADVANCE

AAANDY

·
Registered
782 Posts
The ECU will need to be connected to some diagnostic kit - either Rover or the Avon Kit - you can force the ECU in to learn mode to recognise the code sent by the 5AS unit.
Or you could also swap the 5AS unit and remotes that were originally with the ECU you swapped.

DaveH

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Major Ingram said:
AAAndy - an AA Patrol per chance? :err:
You guessed I was on the road for 10 years spent last two in office.
I thought the ecu may need reprogramming but I found loads of links re mems replacement and ecu dealers but hardly any regarding reprog after replacement.

Thanx for your time. Ill reply when sorted probably later in week.
Meanwhile other responses most welcome

Thanx Again

·
Premium Member
54,941 Posts
Not too much posting on re-programming as in most cases people have been forewarned to swap both the ECU and 5AS alarm unit over from the donor car.

·
Premium Member
54,941 Posts
It's the alarm control unit. Found up by the under bonnet fuse box IIRC.

·
Premium Member
79,177 Posts
Stu said:
It's the alarm control unit. Found up by the under bonnet fuse box IIRC.
That's a really bad place for it - it is secreted in the centre console, right out of the way.

This is the way in which Subaru Imprezas have been stolen - swap the engine ECU and alarm ECU for 'blank ones'

Mate had his Impreza stolen in this way, in Birmingham!

·
Premium Member
54,941 Posts
LOL, I'm amazed how much stress one 2 year old can generate :(

Feel for you with 2 mobile generators.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Guys Sorry for not replying soner, sooner even. Yes a trip to Rover did it to match the ECU to 5as Alarm unit. 35 quid including the dreaded. The Bit that baffled me was the alarm was working the central locking and "APPARENTLY" disabling the alarm, BUT obviously not. so its swop both ECU AND 5as OR swop ECU and pay rover 35 quid.

Thanx for your times and help

Andy(easymenu)

·
Registered
782 Posts
Andy,
Your are right, your 5AS unit was working correctly and disabling the alarm. The reason it wouldn't continue to run is the ECU looks for an authentication code from the 5AS - if it doesn't see the correct code it will not function.

So : if 5AS recognises signal from remote it will disarm, it will also send a pre-programmed 4 digit code to the ECU. which the ECU is also pre-programmed with, so any other 5AS's or ECU's will have different 4 digit codes.

The Avon Diagnostic kit can interrogate the 5AS and ECU to find this 4 digit code and also force the ECU to relearn a new code. So it's not only Rover dealers who can do it.

Regards
DaveH

1 - 13 of 13 Posts