Obsessive Media negativity and its impact on MG-Rover

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Media Negativity and its impact on MG-Rover

No question in my mind about this. In my experience, incessant media negative reporting over at least forty years on any news aspect involving BMC, BL, ARGroup, ROVER, MG-ROVER has severely impacted negatively on both the company and its products. This, above all else, has brought about the present sate of affairs.

How do you view this? ...please vote.

MGJohn said:
Here, I blame those most 'ACE' of scaremongers the BBC and the rest of the UK media in all its heinous forms of negativity. I particularly blame all those ever so wise after the event, highly overpaid and thus cushioned against reality by huge TV Licence Taxpayer funds; those media types at the British Broadcasting Corporation.... that's the BBC.

British ... what a laugh ... anti-British more like!

However, when the BBC and all those others have finally and fully put the verbal boot in and bashed that final media nail in the coffin of what is now MG-Rover, they can then rejoice by saying "We told you so" whilst getting in their BMWs and other expensive alien wheels all paid for by you and me via heavily over-subsidised TV Taxes!!

I'd love to see some of those Media types given a dose of redundancy ... ideally lots of them....but, check out all the names. To the last man and woman they've enjoyed permanent and highly over rewarded secure employment for many, many years in that cushioned against reality priviledged environment bullet proof TV Licence funded organisation that is..... the BBC! My hatred for their incessant MG-R negativity tactics knows no bounds.... :evil:

I've a good mind to take out a TV licence and cancel it straightaway in disgust.... Worth repeating, my hatred for them and their negativity knows no bounds...... grrr :cus: .

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Media are partly to blame for the hysteria and slagging MGR off all the time etc. The British public are also to blame for not buying what are, after all, decent and in some cases superb British products.

Anthony.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
The media is a cancer slowly killing our society, but they can only share the blame for this, others include
Red Robbo et al
The Tories
BAE
Stephen Byers
BMW
P4

Me (I drive a Ford to my shame, I will be putting this right as soon as RD60 launches)

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
X-posted my post from Rovertech.net - trust that's in order..;)

MGJohn said:
5.30 pm ...Just listened to the latest RADIO FIVE LIVE reports this minute:

Daniel Ward from MG Rover interviewed - here's some gist of it ...

"Media speculation has caused real problems and concerns with our suppliers"... "Severly shaken the confidence in our suppliers" .... "A number are reducing the credit terms to MG-R"....

Now there's a turn up - who'd have thought that. Whatever could have brought that about ... a complete mystery!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Was I mistaken, did I detect a merest trace of sadness in the ACE Radio 5live Newvendors voice as he realised what this could mean to thousands of Brits? Maybe not .... it was very fleeting ... because he was soon back on the negativity trail ... mentioned it's taxpayers' money to keep the company going whilst his narrowly focussed clip board mentality failed completely to appreciate what impact on taxpayers there would be in both the short and long term with 30,000 plus Midlanders relying on MG-R for their continued employment.....

Well done British Media ... oh so wise after the event!!!
:eyes: :eyes:

·
Banned
21,480 Posts
Funny thing is, when its all over and thousands are out of jobs the press will be like, oh how tragic, this is horrible blah blah :rolleyes:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Top Gear

Jeremy Clarkson has got a lot to answer for, his dislike and stand off with the Rover group has shaped the minds of many would be MG/Rover customers who watched the BBC show.

·
Registered
595 Posts
joe60 said:
Jeremy Clarkson has got a lot to answer for, his dislike and stand off with the Rover group has shaped the minds of many would be MG/Rover customers who watched the BBC show.
Please do not watch any programme with Clownson or Tiffany appearing. I would dearly love to see them being called to the office......." Come in Jeremy, err, the latest viewing figures....."

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
On balance I went for entirely, as I think it's as near as damn it. Include the turned-more-positive-too-late auto media and this goes back years.

The fact that jo public doesn't buy Rovers etc and thinks the worst, but has generally DIFFERENT opinions re: other brands, and it's not based on sound knowledge of how these companies run, or how good the cars are or have been proves it's the media.

The public has a bad psyche, it was fed by the media. However, things can change (look at England football support now).

Come on MGR!

·
Registered
7,896 Posts
I lay the blame directly at the door of the British press and media and I'm ashamed that so many of the British public believed the bullsh!t they were reading and decided to line the pockets of foreigners instead !

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
I think the media are partly to blame, perhaps a big part but it's them entirely. It's very sad to this happen when you consider the final blow was over a matter as simple as 18months.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I've not looked at the figures or the dates, but Jan 2004 was the last month that both MG and rover saw a rise in sales, after that rover sales collapsed. loosing something like 30% a month. Before then there was a slow drift, but no collapse.

So what caused the collapse?

We saw two major media events in the late 2003, the Guardian articles about the pension fund and the watchdog programmes about HGF. the guardian article I think occured on the day the Rover released the V8, strange coincidence?

Keith also has made reference to this on his site, but it is something i've thought about for some time.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
I blame the media, they incite everything. They start something up ( like hating MGROVER) if the public likes it, ie buys the papers, then they'll keeps using it & using it again, it gives them something to print when theres no real news. What would you call it a 'cash cow' something that gurantees sales, either because people are outraged at the mad claims, or because the PUG BMW etc owners want clarifications on their purchases, to make themselves feel good.

But of course you have to blame the 'sheep' of a country we have, if the car magazines or 'top gear' have given a car a bad review they won't touch them, so poor Rover because of its 'ancient'( 10 years ??) designs even though they look bloody gorgeus gets poor publicity for absolutely no reason as the drive is fantastic. ( although the public dont see the drive as they never book a test drive )

I was thinking about what will become of MGRover, & really I was thinking of the burial of the pope, & perhaps the burial of our car saviour, may be there could be a Divine intervention. Some rich person who has too much money to spend but is a nobody has the urge to become famous, it would be the perfect 'toy' admitedly its far bigger Scenario than that of the now legend Abramovic at Chelsea, but I really can't see it being a good idea for a rival company taking over, we all know what happened with BMW , & we know MGRover has its good bits & its bad bits, so basically again it would be torn apart, I really want to see it stay as a unit. I spose these arn't the times to pick & choose ( unless your SAIC ...... ) sadly

I think we need some bumper stickers for the cars, well I WANT ONE , SAVE MGR ?? Or shoot the daily papers. Can we get hold of anything PRO MGRover for our cars, to show we support them ???

·
Registered
338 Posts
Jeremy Clarkson i believe was a major contributor... He started this slating journalism...

Lets hope we meet down a quiet street... he'd cop one on the nose from me...

·
Registered
317 Posts
i blame the press 100%... if they had of just let MGR and SAIC get on with their negotiations, SAIC Wouldnt have got cold feet when the press amde a big deal about the joint venture.

If the press hadnt of made such a big deal about MGR's financial position, or the fact SAIC had backed out... thenperhaps MGR could of been saved by invesntment either from the govement or other source. But becuase of the press, rovers image has been damaged beyound repair.

there is no doubt in my mind, that if the press had of left well alone, MGR would not be in this position now.

What with their negative reporting and attitudes towards the copmpany before this they did the most damage as people where sceptical about buying british.

The British press have put over 6000 British jobs in jeopardy

Rob

1 - 20 of 34 Posts