MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys and girls,

My new AP brakes arrived today and i'm gonna fit them tomorrow. Stampy will be aware that the partial hub assembly also comes with the set.

Now bearing in mind i do not have ABS and these come with the ABS ring is there any tips on fitting them!?

I'm either gonna simply change the discs, calipers and pads or just do a straight change over of the hub assembly's.

trouble is my tracking is perfect and ideally i don't want to upset it even though it shouldn't do if i don't touch the track rod ends.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
I just swapped the discs and calipers, then bled the brakes.

Quick, simple and the hubs are handy to keep should I ever need bearings or ABS components ;) :)

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Wheel bearing do go from time to time. Seems a shame not to replace them for new ones at the same time just by fitting the hubs.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah gonna do the same then as i've just forked out for a new bearing recently too on the front!

what did you do with the ABS components??

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Bagged them up and slung them in the shed, so I have 2 x spare hub assemblies, a spare exhaust and some other spares floating around now :)

·
Registered
689 Posts
Read through the old posts on bleeding the AP's
Some people have had nightmares because they have not bled correctly or were just unlucky not being able to shift air from the system.

We'll await your moans !

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm gonna read my factory manual also about bleeding process on the AP's. I've done my standard brakes before but i know the AP's have 2 bleed nipples!

I'll get some shots up on her too hopefully, and reveal my sore knuckles also!! ;)

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Stampy - did you copper slip your pads before fitting the calipers as i know the pads are already in there??

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Fit them the right way up (bleed nipples at the top) and bleed from both nipples in sequence. I fitted mine upside down and it was an absolute swine to bleed them. I sold the hubs on ebay - made 80 quid back :)

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
No copper slip on mine mate, I get the occasional (and renowned) low speed brake squeal every so often but nothing to warrant it :)

·
In the Garage
MG TF
32,999 Posts
I personally would put some slip on the back of the pads, I would also put some on the threads of the securing bolts as you never know when you need to remove them.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I personally would put some slip on the back of the pads, I would also put some on the threads of the securing bolts as you never know when you need to remove them.
Yeah i think i agree, i just need to work out how to get the pads out of them! trusty factory manual again i reckon!! ;)

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Fit them the right way up (bleed nipples at the top) and bleed from both nipples in sequence. I fitted mine upside down and it was an absolute swine to bleed them. I sold the hubs on ebay - made 80 quid back :)
The manual states that the outer bleed screw should be bled followed by the inner!! in sequence of course of RH front to LH front...

Was thinking about that but i may just keep them for spares in case another bearing decides to give play, plus packaging them is a bit of a mare! ;)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts