MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I await March Sales figures with some encouragement.

At the weekend I spotted at least 3 05, reg 45's, once identical to mine, and a further two hatches.

I have also spotted a number of brand new zr's and a couple of 25's.

My area is not exactly Rover territory, the local rover dealer has recently downsized it's rover sales too, so to see so many very close was encouraging.

Anybody else spotted an upturn in sightings.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I've seen more 25/ZRs & 45/ZSs. Not loads, but seeing more and more. Good to see - wish I was in a position to buy now as well - will have to wait until next year though.

Are there any tv ads? Seen a couple of press ads and a billboard with a couple of codgers going to a retirement home in a TF (not sure if this was a particularly clever bit of marketing!)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Are there any tv ads? Seen a couple of press ads and a billboard with a couple of codgers going to a retirement home in a TF (not sure if this was a particularly clever bit of marketing!)[/QUOTE]

Couldn't agree more - what a crap advert! The 'dentist' advert 'root canal treatment - great, let's take the MG' was excellent - its meaning is obvious (MG cars are so great, so any excuse to drive them is welcome, even if it's to the dentist and pain) and funny as well. People remember products associated with humour.

But the 'retirement home' billboard is completely off the mark. To me it says - 'MG: the car for an OAP, and their middle aged motherly looking daughter'. It id doesn't work because the message is completely unclear, or at least not as blatantly obvious as the 'dentist' advert. People will glance at it and think (if they think anything) 'oh, MG the car for middle aged mothers, or the car you buy when you are old and ready for the retirement home.' Jeez, how much did they pay for that advert and who from MGR signed it off!?

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
549 Posts
I depaired when I saw the retirement home advert. I looked hard for some sense of irony but couldn't detect it. Even if the arrow on the retirement home pointed in the other direction it would make a bit more sense - 'i.e. young at heart, not ready be some senile old duffer' but even this is hardly a brilliant approach. What the hell were they thinking?

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
iga said:
I depaired when I saw the retirement home advert. I looked hard for some sense of irony but couldn't detect it. Even if the arrow on the retirement home pointed in the other direction it would make a bit more sense - 'i.e. young at heart, not ready be some senile old duffer' but even this is hardly a brilliant approach. What the hell were they thinking?
What they're trying to say is that granny is being shipped off to the retirement home and it should be a really bad day, but because she's going in the MG it's fine.

Trouble is, you'd need to have heard the radio adverts to figure out the idea of the marketing campaign I think...

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
I've also seen a significant rise in the number of facelifted MGR cars I've seen on the road. Until about the last month I've seen very few 25/ZR/45/ZS about.

But recently things seem to have changed. 45's in particular - there seems to be a lot of them about. There's a few ZR and 25's about. Still think ZS's are rare but they are starting to appear more frequently too.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Serge Jonkers said:
I hope I can post them next month again with the current situation?? :(
You will Serge, the British press is rubbish so ignore them and some politicing may be going on with the government.

MGR had a stormer in Spain in March: MG 320, up 43.5%. Rover 842, up 63.5%. Sweden was also solid.

·
Registered
83 Posts
In sept , when i drove my brand new Rover Streetwise on a 54 plate i was the only new MGR product on the roads around Telford , however there are a few new streetwises , ZR's ,45s ,75s,ZTs TF and even afew CR . Not Bad considering MGR doesn't advertise on TV !!!! All the people who have seen my Streetwise ( 04 model with new dash ) can't understand why MGR aren't advertising this type of car ! or any other of their models . As one of my mates said IF FORD MADE A STREETWISE THEN EVERY OTHER CAR WOULD BE ONE ! I think it is sad but true . Long live MGR .

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
549 Posts
parsec said:
What they're trying to say is that granny is being shipped off to the retirement home and it should be a really bad day, but because she's going in the MG it's fine.

Trouble is, you'd need to have heard the radio adverts to figure out the idea of the marketing campaign I think...
Ahhh, okay, I get it. Guess I should listen to commercial radio more often!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.