MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

Excuse the long post but I am getting to the end of my tether with this car.

I bought my 75 diesel in April, and of the 6 weeks I have owned it the car has only been driveable for 3 of them.
The main fault with the car is a starting problem. The car will not start when the engine is warm, it will start ok first thing in the morning, but as the day goes on the starting gets harder.
I broke down in the car on 9th May and the recovery agent said he suspected the problem was either a fuel pump or a fuel injection problem. He got the car going using 'easy start' spray and I drove it to my local ex-rover dealer. They had a look at it and diagnosed 'spilling back through the number 1 injector' then proceeded to quote me £550.00 inc vat to replace. I told them this was extortionate and could they put the car back together and I would take it elsewhere. They did this but charged me £176.25 inc vat for the privilege, they also found out the fuel return pipe was split and they replaced this.
I then rang the garage I bought it from and they told me to return it to them as the injector would be covered under warranty. However they told me the injector was out of stock and that rover/xpart and unipart had told him they were on back order with no delivery date. In the meantime I managed to use the car for one day before I found that the repaired fuel return pipe was again split (obviously someone has cut to far with a stanley knife when repairing it). I took it to a local mechanic who repaired this for £30.00 and got the car going again. The starting problem was still present, but because of my job I had to try and use the car. The only way to do this was to use 'easy start' on it every time it broke down. I managed to used it for Thursday and Friday last week, but decided on Tuesday to take the afternoon off work and return the car to the dealer I bought it from. I argued the toss with them and managed to get a loan car while they repaired mine. They told me yesterday that the injector was now in stock at Unipart and would be with them today. I returned to the dealer this afternoon (the loan car ran out of tax today so I had to go back anyway) just as the injector arrived. The dealer fitted the injector while I waited, but the starting problem was still there. The dealer then decided to replace the fuel pump (again while I waited) and all seemed ok. The car started ok three times in a row and off I went on my way home. The dealer I bought it from is 50 miles from home so I thought it best to stop for diesel on the way home. I got back in the car at the petrol station and the car would not start. Same old problem it turns and turns, but will not fire. Eventually it did start and I drove home without stopping. When I arrived home I had something to eat and then wanted to nip out, tried to go out in the rover but yet again it will not start. What is wrong with my car ??????

Please can anyone shed any light on what the problem might be ? It has now had new fuel return pipe, new number 1 fuel injector and a new fuel pump (under bonnet) and it still won't start.

Please reply asap as I need the car to cover approx 500 miles in the next two days.

Sorry again for the long post but it was needed to outline my situation.

Regards

Tim

p.s Can anyone tell me for definate which one is the number injector is it on the left or the right ??

·
Registered
mg_6_gt
2,237 Posts
sounds like the classic crank/cam sensor fault ? i can never remeber which but i think cam

out of intrest have you checked the darin for the ecu

and which of the pumps was replaced

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi there,

Thanks for the reply.
I checked and cleaned the cam sensor when the problem first arose, perhaps it needs replacing completely.
It was the fuel pump in the engine compartment they replaced, could it be the one in the tank ???

Regards

Tim

·
Registered
mg_6_gt
2,237 Posts
id be still looking at the cam , for the price of a new one its something else rulled out as they are know to fail causing symptons like yours , others will be along soon to help though ,

now i dont know the 75 desil too well but id have thought if the pumps were acting up youd have bad running ??????? i presume teh car runs fine when running

is the above post summed up when car cold starts fine and when warm its a pig ???

·
Registered
88 Posts
number one injector is the first on the left as you open the bonnet and look at the engine.
it could be wise to look at the connector plug on the cam sensor and also the plug on the fuel pressure sensor.if any corrosion on the plugs this will cause faults.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi Autofocus

Yes for sure it could be one of the two fuelpumps of the tank or one of the two fuelfilters of the tank.
The Petrolversion has only 1 pump & 1 filter but the diesel has them twice.
the pumps & filters are located under the rear seat.
I had a breakdown with my fuelpump about a month ago(2.5 V6) with the same problems you described.(difficulties to start)So the pump and the filter were replaced as the dealer told me that's really impossible to check which of the two is faulty and it would be wiser to replace both.Luckily i still have that private insurance covering parts & repair hours, it was for free ,as i didn't see any bill i can't tell you the amount of the repair.

Hopefully your car we be fixed soon.
Regards Mintman

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
chilljohn said:
is the above post summed up when car cold starts fine and when warm its a pig ???
Hi there,

Yes that is correct.

How much is a cam sensor and where is the best place to get one from ?
A friend mentioned that the fuel filter may need replacing, where abouts is this and how hard is it to change ?

Regards

Tim

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi Autofocus. Check your ecu anyway to make sure no water is sloshing about just to rule that problem out. I had similer problems with my cdt and spent roughly 400 quid before anyone checked it. If I'd have known about the design fault I would have checked that before anything else just for peace of mind.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi there,

I checked for the ECU drain fault the day after I bought it and everything was fine.
I have done approx 200 miles today and the car has been stopped/started 12 times. The first time it started after about a minute, after this it would not start so I have had to rely on bump starting it or using easy start. I think out of 12 starts today it started only 3 times on the key.

I have put £40.00 worth of diesel in it this morning so I don't think it is the fuel pump in the tank.

Will try a new cam sensor, does anyone have part number they can give me?

Also would it be worth changing the Glow plugs ???

Regards

Tim

·
Registered
281 Posts
cam sensor

Tim,
I have the same prob, and have just oredered a cam sensor from rimmer bro's
part no for diesel engine is NSC100891 cost about £53 delivered, hopefully it fixes the prob, should have it 2morrow.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts