MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, this is one for Ron really.

Firstly let me say thanks for the GBE boost controller, really trick piece of kit and made loads of difference to the way my car picks up acceleration.

The other day I had just finished setting it up at a nice boost level and was planning on doing some timed runs in it to see if it was any quicker, but as i was accelerating hard up the revs it just lost all power at 3800rpm! Really made me ease off thinking of the worse things that could have happened. Anyways had a quick listen to the engine tone, nothing out of the ordinary there so tried again a little easier this time and it went up to about 3900rpm.

So pulled over twiddled with the Mafam and tried again, this time 4200rpm but not much power at that top end. Also now noticed a drop in fuel economy too!

Damn that MAF sensor:cus: !

Anyways i'm trying to decide whether to go for the bosch(if i can get one cheap enough) or pierburgh one this time round. If i get one of the pierburgh ones, is there anyway to adapt my bosch mafam box to run with it or will i need to purchase a the pierburgh mafam as well?

Cheers,

Phil.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
4,589 Posts
Hi, this is one for Ron really.

Firstly let me say thanks for the GBE boost controller, really trick piece of kit and made loads of difference to the way my car picks up acceleration.

The other day I had just finished setting it up at a nice boost level and was planning on doing some timed runs in it to see if it was any quicker, but as i was accelerating hard up the revs it just lost all power at 3800rpm! Really made me ease off thinking of the worse things that could have happened. Anyways had a quick listen to the engine tone, nothing out of the ordinary there so tried again a little easier this time and it went up to about 3900rpm.

So pulled over twiddled with the Mafam and tried again, this time 4200rpm but not much power at that top end. Also now noticed a drop in fuel economy too!

Damn that MAF sensor:cus: !

Anyways i'm trying to decide whether to go for the bosch(if i can get one cheap enough) or pierburgh one this time round. If i get one of the pierburgh ones, is there anyway to adapt my bosch mafam box to run with it or will i need to purchase a the pierburgh mafam as well?

Cheers,

Phil.

The mafam will work with either mafs, though if its not a MF1p model, then I
can upgrade it for £5.00 + postage so it will work with a Pierburgh maf. (p&p is free if I can retrun it when you buy a maf)

I don't advise buying a 'cheap' Bosch maf - there is no such thing! The UK distributor price is £135 + vat in quantity. ie £200+ retail.

There are many unbranded clones of Far Eastern origin going about, as well as so called 'remanufactured' ones. They are all useless and those that seem to work, don't last.

If you have a mafam, it makes sense to use a Pierburgh maf even if it needs the IAT fitted to make it a /P model.

Ron

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The mafam will work with either mafs, though if its not a MF1p model, then I
can upgrade it for £5.00 + postage so it will work with a Pierburgh maf. (p&p is free if I can retrun it when you buy a maf)

I don't advise buying a 'cheap' Bosch maf - there is no such thing! The UK distributor price is £135 + vat in quantity. ie £200+ retail.

There are many unbranded clones of Far Eastern origin going about, as well as so called 'remanufactured' ones. They are all useless and those that seem to work, don't last.

If you have a mafam, it makes sense to use a Pierburgh maf even if it needs the IAT fitted to make it a /P model.

Ron
Thanks for the quick reply!

I'll go for the pierburgh one then as to be on the safe side. Seen a lot on ebay but when i question them if it's a genuine new bosch one they either say it's not or don't reply. Quite sneaky how some of them advertise though as it gives you the impression they actually are bosch ones.

Could you PM me your address then please so i can send you my Mafam to be upgraded to the pierburgh model and also how should i pay you the extra cost?

Should i just purchase the pierburgh MAF as normal through your site as well?

I'm away over the next week, so i'll send it off to you as soon as i arrive back and purchase the pierburgh MAF at the same time.

Cheers for your help Ron:broon: !

Phil.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ron, i just had to come back on here to let everyone know just how big a difference there is running without one of your mafams on!

Anyone who's not got one, get one now!

I've nearly killed my self twice this last week by pulling out in front of cars that i usually have no problem in clearing using very little revs! Even though i'm driving cautiously and reving it more on pull off it sometimes still hits that low down flat spot and then only when the revs rise a bit does my tuning gizmos kick in and it send me flying up the road like a lunatic boy racer! It's quite embarrassing when you have to apologise to the car that nearly hits you and then hang on to the wheel as it decides to launch off!

I do think that the effects i'm feeling are greater than if the car is in standard form cos it is just nothing low down then wait,wait,bang, your off.

I'd forgotten just how much of a differece the mafam makes and it's greatly mutiplied when the car is in a tuned state!

So it's very careful driving for me until my upgraded mafam returns. It's killing me at the minute.

Cheers,

Phil.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
4,589 Posts
Ron, i just had to come back on here to let everyone know just how big a difference there is running without one of your mafams on!

Anyone who's not got one, get one now!

I've nearly killed my self twice this last week by pulling out in front of cars that i usually have no problem in clearing using very little revs! Even though i'm driving cautiously and reving it more on pull off it sometimes still hits that low down flat spot and then only when the revs rise a bit does my tuning gizmos kick in and it send me flying up the road like a lunatic boy racer! It's quite embarrassing when you have to apologise to the car that nearly hits you and then hang on to the wheel as it decides to launch off!

I do think that the effects i'm feeling are greater than if the car is in standard form cos it is just nothing low down then wait,wait,bang, your off.

I'd forgotten just how much of a differece the mafam makes and it's greatly mutiplied when the car is in a tuned state!

So it's very careful driving for me until my upgraded mafam returns. It's killing me at the minute.

Cheers,

Phil.
Cheers Phil.

Your upgraded one was posted yesterday so look out for it tomorrow.

Ron

·
Registered
21,962 Posts
In the mean time phil, drive with the MAF unplugged.

You should have low down punch, but a lower max revs.

Cheers
Skelo

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers Phil.

Your upgraded one was posted yesterday so look out for it tomorrow.

Ron
Nice one Ron!

As soon as it gets here it's going straight back on again, not enjoying driving it that much at the min as i'm always thinking about what will happen next time i pull off from somewhere

Cheers,

Phil.

In the mean time phil, drive with the MAF unplugged.

You should have low down punch, but a lower max revs.

Cheers
Skelo
Cheers for the suggestion Skelo, but i've already had a go with it unplugged and although the low down revs improve, it seems that my tuning box won't work without the maf being plugged in so it feels like there's bugger all power in the midrange revs.

A bit weird really but i'm wondering if it's the pump that defaults to a safe mode rather than the main ecu as my tuning box plugs into the pump and the OE plug connects into another plug from the tuning box.Could be wrong but my tuning box certainly doesn't like the Maf sensor being unplugged.

Cheers,

Phil.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts