MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the performance of my car been getting worse the last few days and today the MAF totally failed. No power at all below 2300rpm.

Disconnected the MAF and fitted an old one and the car is much better.

Anyone know where i can get a MAF at a good price as i am not sure if the "new" one i brought off Ebay 6 months ago is still under warranty.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The MAF has failed 100% , it not just a bit "off" which a MAFAM would cure.

It looks like the metal sensor plate has twisted.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
4,589 Posts
Ti Rich said:
Well the performance of my car been getting worse the last few days and today the MAF totally failed. No power at all below 2300rpm.

Disconnected the MAF and fitted an old one and the car is much better.

Anyone know where i can get a MAF at a good price as i am not sure if the "new" one i brought off Ebay 6 months ago is still under warranty.

You'd be better off with a Pierburgh one Rich, at least for £65 you know it will be new.

Ron

·
Registered
120 Posts
Rich

A big no to e-bay. Have purchased 3 from e-bay, 2 returned and 1 went to dispute and got a full refund from paypal 3 weeks later.

I would get a Pierburgh as Ron suggested although do you need a temp sensor of something.

cheers

maxii.

ps how are you driving with your leg in plaster !!!

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Maxii

Plaster cast came off on Monday - drove to Brussels Tues/Wed so all OK but ankle is "tender"

The Ebay company have said they will swop it if faulty so i am sending it pack. This will be the third one same as you.......not got much confidence in them at all.

I also think the air intake sensor may have failed on this MAF too as i have having a considerable loss of power when the car had stood for a few minutes and the intake temperature would have gone up.

Let's hope the new MAF restores the flying machine again!

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
Personally I think all these so called new mafs on Ebay are manufacturing rejects or old ones being resold as new, even my totally knackered one looked brand new when I took it out

I think the only smart thing to do is buy new from a Bosch dealer or get a Pierburg from where ever.

I think Ron has said a Pierburg with an IAT is still not a direct replacement and needs to be run with a mafam attached.

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
Sorry for the ignorance, but can someone explain the difference between a MAF and MAFAM. I presume a MAF is a Mass Air Flow Sensor, but I maybe being thick about the MAFAM.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
IanRobertson said:
Sorry for the ignorance, but can someone explain the difference between a MAF and MAFAM. I presume a MAF is a Mass Air Flow Sensor, but I maybe being thick about the MAFAM.

Cheers
Ian

MAFAM is a box made by Rover Ron that allows you to adjust the MAF signal to the ECU. It will help compensate for older out of specification MAF units and restore and improve bottom end performance.

Using a MAFAM you can increase the fueling slightly low down which will in turn boost the torque.

Refitted by old MAF thismorning and driving to work (40 mile trip) got 53MPG!!!!! (NOT BRIM TO BRIM BUT AMAZING ANYWAY) compared to my normal 43 - this MAF must have been faulty for some time but finally gave up yesterday.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
4,589 Posts
maxiboy said:
Rich

A big no to e-bay. Have purchased 3 from e-bay, 2 returned and 1 went to dispute and got a full refund from paypal 3 weeks later.

I would get a Pierburgh as Ron suggested although do you need a temp sensor of something.

cheers

maxii.

ps how are you driving with your leg in plaster !!!
Just to clarify to avoid anyone be disappointed with a Pierburgh maf.

You MUST also fit a mafam MF75p for 2 reasons:

1) The signal is lower than the Bosch one at low rpm so needs boosting otherwise you lose low down torque and it will feel like a duff Bosch one!

2) The mafam supplies the Intake Air temp sensor that the PB maf does not have. (The engine will be overfuelled at low rpm particularly without, especially in warmer weather since the ecu defaults to -5C without any IAT.)

Rimmerbros quoted me £167 + vat & delivery (about £205) for a Rover/Bosch maf.

The PB + mf75p will cost a total of £122 delivered and the PB maf seems to last a lot longer and seems to be better at higher rpm.

Even if it didn't last any longer than a Bosch one, you could replace it 3 times and still be in pocket!

(Its a direct swap in the orginal duct.)

Ron

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
4,589 Posts
Keith Alexander said:
Ron I assume PB is compatable with the TU4 as well?

Yes, the Tu4 works with both.
I've been using one for weeks and the dyno charts on the Synergy thread were done with one. (I broke my good Bosch one whilst trying to 'carefully' clean it)

Will be posting a pdf of the dyno charts on my website later today.

Ron

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
4,589 Posts
You can get an idea of much impact the maf has on power delivery below 3000rpm from page 6 of my dyno page here:

http://45zs.info/dyno/index.html

It shows that torque below 2500rpm could vary from this worst case example up to normal levels entirely at the mercy of the maf sensor.

The Tu3 section's throttle sensitivity feature can compensate a bit and a remap or rechip will also help.

But ALL are masking the culprit and none will give of their best until the maf signal is corrected.

Ron

·
Registered
45 Posts
Have recently fitted a Pierburgh and a Roveron supplid Mafam and so far I'M IMPRESSED and so is my local garage who didn't know about these fantastic replacement parts!!.

·
Registered
classic_rover
99 Posts
I must be thik. I have looked at Rover Rons web site. If I get the STM1D do I still need to get the MAF from eurocarparts.

Basicly my car is running pants, getting bad mpg (33-34). I have cleaned the EGR and reshaped the air intake. I would like more power as I have a 116 auto.

The main question I have is. What do I need to get to give me the switch on the dash for more power and better MPG?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts