MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2001 Turbo diesel 25 that's lost a lot of power below 2500 rpm. I suspect the MAF and from reading this forum I know that I can check by disconnecting it and seeing if the power returns. However, will doing that cause the engine management warning light to come on? If it does, is there any way to clear the warning without going to a garage?

Thanks, Noel

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
4,589 Posts
I've got a 2001 Turbo diesel 25 that's lost a lot of power below 2500 rpm. I suspect the MAF and from reading this forum I know that I can check by disconnecting it and seeing if the power returns. However, will doing that cause the engine management warning light to come on? If it does, is there any way to clear the warning without going to a garage?

Thanks, Noel

You need a mafam Mf1p from my online shop.

This will not cause the warning light to illuminate and will maintain the power at higher rpm. Disconnecting thr maf will usually improve the bottom end but you lose the power above 3500rpm and the engine struggles to rev to 4k.

Ron

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply. I'd like to check the MAF by unplugging it, but I'm worried that running with it unplugged will set the warning light. Then when I buy the MAFAM, I'll have to pay to get the error code cleared as well.

So my question is, will running with the MAF unplugged set the error lamp and if so will it be cleared by reconnecting the MAF?

·
Registered
870 Posts
It doesn't on my 45 (its been unplugged for a couple of months now!), but i've heard of others for whom it has lit the warning light.

·
Registered
259 Posts
It wont light when you are running without it connected, it will however register in the management system. The way to see if it is registered in the memory straight away is to cross pins 4 and 15 on the connector block used for diagnostics and see what flashes up.. 2 long and 9 short flashes is the MAF if I remember correctly.. you will get 3 lots of 1 long and 3 short to start off with then it will flash your codes..

Once you have either reconnected your old MAF or a new one (as advertised above) your memory will automatically clear itself after 50 turns of the ignition.. either 50 normal everyday engine starts, or turn the ign on and off 50 times in a row..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts