MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
mg_zt
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Guys,

I'm currently running a ZT cdti and have been toying with moving up to a 260 as I am about to move offices closer to home. Although this will dramatically reduce my travelling distance (6k per year vs 28k per year currently) I am still considering LPG as a way to improve matters further. Does anyone have first hand experience of a LPG converted car? I'd be interested in opinions (good or bad).

I have viewed the new SE at Wilcox's in Wickwar and have one or two concerns. An earlier thread makes mention of a time cut off for registering the car due to emissions or something. Anyone know any more?

PS. Who has the beautiful X Power Grey 260 (MG04 XPR) that I keep seeing in the Bristol/Severn Bridge area? Envious or what!

Thanks,

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
Obviously going LPG loses a fair bit of boot space as you can't hide the tank in the spare wheel well because it does not have one

The owner of the car above reports better performance from LPG than from Petrol!

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
Obviously common sense says keep the diesel and get a 260!

As for buying a new or post march 2006 registered car, why?
You will forever get shafted by whatever the gov decides to charge for the highest rate bang G Ved

mine is Band F

·
Registered
mg_zt
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Perhaps, but I won't need two ZT's, I've managed to convince 'er indoors that I can afford to run it now that my work mileage will be dropping, and we already have a Triumph GT6 (mine), Mazda MX5 (the wifes) and a little Fiat diesel runabout (whichever of the kids needs it). So I really don't have any garage space left!

As for boot space, yes I know, but as it is only me and the wife I can use the back seat as and when needed for luggage etc.

There is a thread here somewhere that talks about some sort of emissions regulations thing going on, I'll try and find it. I don't mind buying a registered one but I do want new and not used. I'm advised that unless properly run-in, the diffs and gearboxes can be temperamental (happy to stand corrected). Also, I bought my 04MY CDTi new in 2004 and quite like the fact that I have driven all but about 4 of it's 80,000 or so miles.

Surprising, but pleasing, to hear of improved performance from LPG. Any explanation?

Regards,

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Surprising, but pleasing, to hear of improved performance from LPG. Any explanation?

Regards,

I'm no 75 boy but I adore the V8 must be said - one day, one day!!!! LPG is cooking gas, the running better--it has a very high octane rating (the resistence to detonation due to compression-obviously good as its a gas and you can compress a gas) so the spark is definately what ignites it. The motor also has a better way of sucking a charge in (gas will flow more freely that old petrol juice hence burns throughout the cylinder not in spots). Plus just on a side note its very clean - so alot less carbon gunk etc is made......... cleaner oil is proof

Only down I know of is sometimes depending on motor valve problems are more of an issue due to loss of lubricating effect of oily petrol. I'd like to know how this affect Rover motors tbh as the way fuel is going even my 1.6 its looking attractive

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hi Guys,

An earlier thread makes mention of a time cut off for registering the car due to emissions or something. Anyone know any more?

Thanks,
As I understand it the 260 is Euro 3 emissions and cannot be registered as "new" after (I think) February 2007 without having an SVA (single vehicle approval) like an imported car. Anyway, not your problem but the dealer's to arrange and at least one 260 has already been SVA'd.

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
As I understand it the 260 is Euro 3 emissions and cannot be registered as "new" after (I think) February 2007 without having an SVA (single vehicle approval) like an imported car. Anyway, not your problem but the dealer's to arrange and at least one 260 has already been SVA'd.
Dosnt need an SVA. I registered my new 190 as 07 in march. 57 and indeed 08 will be no different.

Nick.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Drop My 53 2004 260 SE off THIS MORNING for LPG conversion...
Factor 1 in Bolton are doing the conversion using the latest stuff...no drilling into the inlet for the lpg injectors. There is now a nice "adaptor", take the original injector out, pop in the adaptor, fit the petrol and the lpg injectors in to the adaptor raise the fuel rail up. On inspecting my car they see no problem with this mod. Whats better is that its obviously a lot easier to remove should you with to.
As for new...if your going to LPG it I noticed quite a few would work out when it starts paying for itself..for me as I got the car at a very good price to start with the way I'm looking at it is just adding the cost together..
I.e. with the LPG conversion the car will have cost me less than £11k still..and thats still cheap for my car...
Local garages (North west) adverage 40-43p on LPG and 97p or £1.07 for leaded and super. But most LPG places sell LPG cheaper..
The place doing mine just happens to be a few miles down the road but currently selling LPG at 32p !!

I will take as many PICs as possible after the conversion (which includes a Rolling Road) so should see on paper if indeed it runs better on LPG.

Also...while looking around for a car myself found many with less than 10k miles on the clock!

I know where there is one still for sale if interested..its done 9k and yours for £10500!!! Its a MKI in Starlight Silver like mine. Very clean and drove spot on..in fact but for my budget and the plan to LPG I'd have bought that one!!

PM me if intersted.

Rossy

·
Registered
180 Posts
Keith, any pics of the Filler cap?
I know I'm pushing it as will be leaving in half an hour...

They rec it will be in the rear bumper...and I notice you can buy ones that a paintable..just wondering. Dont want it to look to silly.

Cheers and no prob if you don't manage it in time.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Cheers..think I would prefer this to it being in the bumper.

You not thought of having it body colour to blend in?

I will Plastic primer mine and then paint Silver.

Although does not stand out as much on the dark colour on this...think it will on a Starlight Silver car..

Peeps thoughts?

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
That is not my car so can't comment

Personally with three little boys and related luggage I wouldn't want to loose the boot space plus if I really wanted to spend £2-3k on my car it would go towards a SC from dreadnought.

I am lucky I work from home so all my mileage is personal or if businees I get 40P per mile which covers all the fuel costs even in the 260 ;)
My biggest runing costs are Tax and Insurance hence why once I sell the saloon I will be looking for a 260 or Rover V8 Tourer and down sizing to two or maybe even one car!

·
Registered
mg_zt
103 Posts
LPG Conversion

I had my 1.8 75 Conn.SE converted three years ago, and have never regretted it. I was fortunate to get 60% of the cost paid for by the government under the Powershift scheme, which, sadly ran out of money shortly after. It has been virtually trouble free, although you have to change the plugs and leads more frequently. Performance is not noticably any different, and in fact it is often smoother on the gas. The only downside is that the mpg is about 15% less on gas than petrol, but with the current difference in price this is a fairly minor detail. The best price I can get gas for in south Essex is 43.5p / ltr. from Morrisons in Grays, or 44.55 from Total in Ashingdon. I can never understand why BP is always the dearest as they supply a lot of the independants, and certainly the Total garage in Ashingdon. Perhaps it is the fact that they have "British" in their name that they rip us off the same as BT, British Gas etc. I have found that gas is much cheaper "up North".
I don't understand why other writers refer to a reduction in boot space because of the gas tank. This is located where the spare wheel sits, plus there is a foam spacer which reduces the depth of the boot by about 1.5" but the boot still holds almost as much as before. You obviously have to carry a can of sealant, or rely on a breakdown service if you have a puncture, but I have never found this to be a problem.
I was so pleased with my conversion that I had my wifes' ZS done two years ago, with similar results, although that is a newer, sequential, system, and I also had Pirreli Run Flat tyres fitted.
With regards to the siting of the filler cap, under the Powershift scheme the system had to be Rover approved, and fitted by an approved installer so the filler cap had to be in the rear nearside wing as specified by Rover. My car is Wedgewood Blue and I had the cap colour coded so it is hardly noticable.
The MG has the filler cap in the bumper, although it was still installed by an approved company, which is sometimes awkward to connect the filler pipe to.
Another advantage is that I do not pay any congestion charge in London. I just register and pay £10 per year.
If you want any more info just contact me.

'm currently running a ZT cdti and have been toying with moving up to a 260 as I am about to move offices closer to home. Although this will dramatically reduce my travelling distance (6k per year vs 28k per year currently) I am still considering LPG as a way to improve matters further. Does anyone have first hand experience of a LPG converted car? I'd be interested in opinions (good or bad).

I have viewed the new SE at Wilcox's in Wickwar and have one or two concerns. An earlier thread makes mention of a time cut off for registering the car due to emissions or something. Anyone know any more?

PS. Who has the beautiful X Power Grey 260 (MG04 XPR) that I keep seeing in the Bristol/Severn Bridge area? Envious or what!

Thanks,[/quote]

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
I don't understand why other writers refer to a reduction in boot space because of the gas tank. This is located where the spare wheel sits,
Because this is the V8 Forum and they don't have a spare wheel well ;)
Or rather there is half of one but that contains the Battery and ICE components etc

Otherwise yes I agree the donut tanks fit the front wheel drive cars wheel wells very discreetly

·
Registered
138 Posts
I'm no 75 boy but I adore the V8 must be said - one day, one day!!!! LPG is cooking gas, the running better--it has a very high octane rating (the resistence to detonation due to compression-obviously good as its a gas and you can compress a gas) so the spark is definately what ignites it. The motor also has a better way of sucking a charge in (gas will flow more freely that old petrol juice hence burns throughout the cylinder not in spots). Plus just on a side note its very clean - so alot less carbon gunk etc is made......... cleaner oil is proof

Only down I know of is sometimes depending on motor valve problems are more of an issue due to loss of lubricating effect of oily petrol. I'd like to know how this affect Rover motors tbh as the way fuel is going even my 1.6 its looking attractive

You forgot to mention that LPG has a significantly lower calorific value than petrol, hence less power.

Barry

·
Registered
180 Posts
You forgot to mention that LPG has a significantly lower calorific value than petrol, hence less power.

Barry
However, on 8 dyno runs my V8 showed the exact same power and more torque on GAS!!

A tip though...the Ciol packs are not up to the job...it will run on Gas fine under normal driving but under hard accelleration the standard coils can not sustain a spark long enough.

I've just ordered some ACCEL coils...these are capable of 15-20% longer spark and should be fitted and test by the end of next week..

One coil from Rover = £113 plus VAT and Delivery!! Thats £904 +
Accel Coils (Bright yellow in colour) are perforance coils that will work with standard ECU and are £245 all in for a set of 8!!!!!
They are comming over from the states..
Part number is ACC140032
Accel late model super coils for 1999-04 2-valve Mustangs. These coils deliver 10-15% more spark than stock.
They Feature advanced bobbin technology, highly specialized magnetic steel cores and optimum windings for 10-15% more spark than stock
Direct replacement for all 4.6L 5.4L 6.8L Ford Modular engines, 2V

·
Registered
288 Posts
Lpg 1.8 75

I had a ex demonstrator 53 plate Rover 75 and had no problem at all. I got 300 mls to £20.00 of gas and the oil stayed clean between changes, this must be good for any engine, a point often missed!

G

·

Barry
Very little difference is noticeable. After all, although LPG may give less ooomph per litre, most driving is done at less than full throttle and so not noticeable.

A worthwhile trade off for a 60% cost saving (my 820 costs less to per mile than a diesel Metro)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts