MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my suspension re-filled recently and have been meaning to lower it slightly ever since, I have a good idea where the valve is at the front behing the plastic but what I could do with some advice on is how much liquid do I need to let out ?? Does anybody have a rough idea/chart??????????
ie:.... to lower it by approx 10mm do I need to take out and egg cup full/tea cup/coffee mug/ pint pot. You get my point. Thanks Peeps.

·
Registered
12,799 Posts
Hi Crowsfeed,

as Stafainn said before lowering by letting the gas out is not a good solution.
Otherwise if you have the correct ride height of 368 mm, 10 - 15 mm would be okay as maximum.

Don't forget to have a 4-wheel tracking after lowering to prevent increasing tyre wear.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info and the kink, it will surely help me but what Im really after is a rough guide to how much I need to take out, are we talking millelitres or 1/4 maybe 1/2 litre ???????? just a rough guide is all I need

·
Registered
mgf
1,712 Posts
It comes out at a hell of a pressure, If you are going to do it use a rag over a pointed object to press the valve in, it will spurt out. Do a small amount at a time and then measure. That is what I did when mine was overfilled by the garage. Remember though that it takes time to settle so might be worth doing in stages.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
How much to lower really depends on how high things are right now. Measure from the wheel centre to the wheel arch lip vertically above. Standard setting is about 368mm (give or take 10mm).

Therefore 358mm would be within the standard range - and probably a good height to aim for.

The crucial thing to do is to take a bit of fluid out at a time. Take things slowly - even take the car out for a short drive (find some speed bumps - seems to help settle the suspension more rapidly) and repeat where necessary, and aim to get both sides of the car equal.

It's alarmingly easy - and sadly also pretty easy to over cook - hence the suggestion of the 'rule of thirds' :)

Good luck - and do let us know how you get on :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
She's currently sitting at approx 376mm so I'll be aiming to reduce by about 15mm. Im gonna go and give it a shot right now and get a sunburnt bonce whilst Im at it.

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
Useful tip:

Hold an empty jam jar or coffee jar over the nozzle while you do it.

As mentioned already, the liquid comes out bloomin quickly and this will help to catch it.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Crowsfeet said:
She's currently sitting at approx 376mm so I'll be aiming to reduce by about 15mm. Im gonna go and give it a shot right now and get a sunburnt bonce whilst Im at it.

368mm is at 17°C. If the car's been sitting in the sun it may well be sitting high and if you take fluid out it will be too low when it cools.

·
Registered
13,968 Posts
just for reference, lowering knuckles only lower the ride height, they don't stiffen the suspension, so you may find that it bottoms out more. If you live in an area with good roads then you'll be fine. If you live out here in the fens like me your stuffed, it'll bottom out like hell all over the place. On the upside, ride quality is still as good as it was before it was lowered.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts