MG-Rover.org Forums banner

Lowering TF experiences?

25K views 101 replies 23 participants last post by  SHARKYMGF 
#1 ·
Hi all. Just wondering about getting my TF lowered, the car feels high and I think it would look better lower as well! I find the car bounces and rolls a bit much as well compared to the way my Prelude used to ride.

From what I can see there are a few different options:
1. Xpower / Eibach Springs - 25mm drop, they're green :eek:
2. Apex Springs - "identical to xpower?" -25mm they're yellow :) ?
3. Shocks and Spring kit from Mike Satur or MGF Centre - more adjustable in terms of ride but more expensive and not any lower than the springs!

Who has experience of what? Is 25mm enough (any photos). Does just having springs upset handleing at all?
I read that the car can scrape - is a sump gaurd needed?

Cheers all!

#3 ·
I originaly lowered mine using the Eibach XPower springs and the front bumper used to scrape the ramp leaving my garage. Pretty disconcerting it was seeing as the car was almost brand new at the time. I also had grief with the local speed bumps. On the + side the car looked far better!

I then changed the set up for something in between the ride height of the Eibachs and standard and this works well for me in terms of height clearance.

If I was to do it again I would probally go for the Mark Satur Spax gear or the VHS dampers. Probally the Spax's gear as I believe the springs and dampers are matched for the drop. Whereas the VHS dampers were made to work with the OEM springs at the original height. Although they can be used to lower the car, I don't know whether this would affect the ride adversly.

Cheapest route is the Eibach springs.

#6 · (Edited)
mines a 160 lowered with the x-power springs and have no problems with speed bumps...i just take my time and don't go directly over them so my wheels clear the bump, i always make sure i get a wheel on the bump so it keeps the car lifted up....if i went over so my wheels didnt touch the bump i think id have a problem though

#7 ·
I hate having to slow down for the bumps really kills the driving experince and the thump if I hit one of the toes eyes is frightening.

N London seems to be suffering from a plauge of them recently. I had to give up one route as there spaced almost every 2 hundred yards or so. Still there is one nice long and winding road on the way home from work :minxy:

#10 ·
3. Shocks and Spring kit from Mike Satur or MGF Centre - more adjustable in terms of ride but more expensive and not any lower than the springs!
If you have the funds then I would be tempted to go for option 3 and also look at the VHS/MGOC shocks as these were developed by MGR engineers and it will effectively give you the handling and ride that should have been on the TF if funds had allowed.

#12 ·
Cheers all! I did have a look through your thread Baracas and Paula's but struggled to find photos of the cars after lowering! The Springs seem like the first step and then if it I don't like it it can be changed! I had another look at Puds photos with his wheels on and definitely think the car will some lowering to finish the change off!

I know for other cars you can buy the springs and dampeners on their own, but I've not seen separate dampeners for the TF. i.e. Could I buy springs now then if there is a problem with the ride then purchase dampeners later?

I'm not to concerned about humps, there are not many here and in the future my front bumper will need a repaint/replace any way (to many pheasants/rabbits)

#40 ·
Cheers all! I did have a look through your thread Baracas and Paula's but struggled to find photos of the cars after lowering! The Springs seem like the first step and then if it I don't like it it can be changed! I had another look at Puds photos with his wheels on and definitely think the car will some lowering to finish the change off!

I know for other cars you can buy the springs and dampeners on their own, but I've not seen separate dampeners for the TF. i.e. Could I buy springs now then if there is a problem with the ride then purchase dampeners later?

I'm not to concerned about humps, there are not many here and in the future my front bumper will need a repaint/replace any way (to many pheasants/rabbits)
southport beach (after lowering) :) do it you wont regret it, i sometimes got embarassed it was so high off the road wheels.....looks great now and the handling does feel much better but it's deffo put my mind at ease too and now feels like a sports car :)

#15 ·

i'm positive i was on MS's site not that long ago and he has two offers.... a normal set up which improves handling etc, but doesnt lower car by much, and a 'race' set up which does the same, also lowers the car and gives it more of a track day feel about it.
if i had the funds, then that would be my option.

as it stands, i have had my xpower springs now for well over a year. handling, grip and body roll greatly reduced, but anything taller than a twig on the road and my bum hole tightens as i feel it twaking against my axle.

teh bottom of my bumper scrapes on most speed bumps regardless of speeds, i have found those speed bumps which are two lumps on either side of road, if i go over the middle, i can cross them at normal speeds.
if its a speed bump that covers the entire width of road, then its a slow right down jobbie.

to sum up, a definite mod to do.... if only purely for looks, when i see a tf next to mine who hasnt got them done, they look like tanks in comparison, and the speed bump issue is only occasionally for me.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

#17 ·
Mines standard and I have no probs with speed humps.

With the one I test drove it wasn't just speed humps. I had problems getting off/on my drive, as it is a lowered, bevelled kerb, like most modern houses. Also problem gettin off the garage forecourt as it was a bit of a slope down to the main road. It would also have struggled in multi story car parks, ferry on ramps etc. So it definitely put me off, regardless of looks. I cannot say that I have ever thought of the TF as "High".

As for the pictures Chris, have you noticed how many people are looking at James car compared to Steves? Is that a reflection on the cars or the drivers?

#33 ·
Hi all. Just wondering about getting my TF lowered, the car feels high and I think it would look better lower as well! I find the car bounces and rolls a bit much as well compared to the way my Prelude used to ride.

Who has experience of what? Is 25mm enough (any photos). Does just having springs upset handleing at all?
I read that the car can scrape - is a sump gaurd needed?

Cheers all!
mine has been lowered and its a blummin hard ride!

#43 ·
Thanks for that post Debs....I was wondering about the Bilsteins, but for the TF they are marketed as a 'comfort pack', and I'm not sure what you may sacrifice (if anything) for a smoother ride. The feeling of being thrown around inside the car with every bump in the road is one I would like to get rid of....

If you had to choose between shocks like the Bilsteins, or springs, which would you do?

cheers

mikef

#45 · (Edited)
Bilsteins are £499.95 inc VAT and are non adjustable from MGOC, oe £425 + VAT from VHS.

Spax are £340 inc VAT & delivery and are user adjustable.

The std springs are perfectly adequate if controlled with a good damper.

I'd do the dampers. :)

GazSuttonUK said:
I will be going for the XPower Springs, where's the best place to buy them?
Any X Part centre, Brown & Gammons, or Power Train Products.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.