MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to lower the roof without unzipping the screen first. will this cause any damage to the screen in either the short or long term ???

·
Registered
359 Posts
yes, you can lower the roof without needing to unzip the screen.

There are no short term effects to doing this. However, if you plan to leave it down for long periods, you are still better advised to unzip the screen :)

·
Registered
17,936 Posts
As long as the rear window is warm (this makes it slightly more flexible) theres no problem in putting the roof down without unzipping. I know lots of people on here don't unzip first.

However, in the winter I always inzip first. The screen is very brittle in the cold.

·
Registered
mg_zs
1,961 Posts
For Some Reason When I Unzip My Window After A Good Run , When I Lift The Roof Up And Zip It Back Up It Seems To Be Creased More Than If I Don't Unzip It ?

·
Registered
47,841 Posts
in 4 years of ownership, i can count the number of times i haev unzipped on one hand.

u really dont ahev to unzip, but if u dont u need to take more care to stop cracking the screen.
3 years of ownership, never, not once, ever, not no how, have I unzipped the screen, even in winter (it is garaged tho)......but I do take great care when I lower it, even when its warm.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
You are supposed to always unzip window as it stops creasing and scratching the window! not everyone does though!
Not so. The MGF handbook only tells you to unzip the rear window if the hood is going to be down for a long time (greater than 24 hours I think). However the TF handbook tells you to always unzip the rear window. Like some of the others who have replied I never unzip my rear window and it's now 6 years old and in perfect condition. Some people have found that constantly zipping and unzipping the window has caused the zip itself to break.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I put a length of that foam pipe lagging in the fold of the window just before a fully lower the roof and that stops it from creasing.
You get it from B&Q etc, it cost about £1.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I'm an unzipper as i feel it will last looking newer for longer. And also the hood sits better with it unzipped...

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I put a length of that foam pipe lagging in the fold of the window just before a fully lower the roof and that stops it from creasing.
You get it from B&Q etc, it cost about £1.
That is interesting JR cause when I bought my first F back in 96 the salesman advised rolling up a large beach towel to perform the same job :lol:

I never have tho :bgrin:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Maybe its just me then! I bought my car having a brand new screen, and I decided to take roof down during the short but welcome sunny spell recently and it's creased??? Did I do something wrong? Is there anything I can do to rectify it other than replace it? Or maybe the people I bought it from got a really cheap one? Could it be fitting the tonneou (spell check) it was very tight!

·
Registered
mg_zs
1,961 Posts
Maybe its just me then! I bought my car having a brand new screen, and I decided to take roof down during the short but welcome sunny spell recently and it's creased??? Did I do something wrong? Is there anything I can do to rectify it other than replace it? Or maybe the people I bought it from got a really cheap one? Could it be fitting the tonneou (spell check) it was very tight!
WHEN YOU FIRST PUT YOUR HOOD UP IT WILL STILL LOOK CREASED BUT AFTER AFEW MINITES THE TENSION IN THE HOOD WILL SOON SMOOTH IT OUT

·
Registered
10,545 Posts
I never unzip either.. not even in winter (but like Pete, mine's garaged). But I am very careful about making sure there are no creases in the rear screen, as I'm lowering it.

If I was worried about the screen cracking, I might consider unzipping. But as it stands, if the screen cracked, it'd give me a good excuse to get a glass screened roof! :lol:

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
164 Posts
Not so. The MGF handbook only tells you to unzip the rear window if the hood is going to be down for a long time (greater than 24 hours I think). However the TF handbook tells you to always unzip the rear window. Like some of the others who have replied I never unzip my rear window and it's now 6 years old and in perfect condition. Some people have found that constantly zipping and unzipping the window has caused the zip itself to break.
While I am not going to comment on the shall I shan't I of the unzipping of the windows, each to their own and all that, I will say that the majority of zips failing is because people don't unclip the hood at the front before unzipping / zipping up this puts the slider under a lot of strain and the friction on it is what wears it out or breaks it, it's not normally the actual zip but having said that it can also cause damage to the zip it'self. So if you decide to unzip, always unclip first. End of lecture :)

·
Registered
249 Posts
I always unzip. I read threads on here about the screens splitting and as I don't want this I'm very careful. If my zip breaks I can always see sonia who is a member on this site!

My hood is always down regardless boasting my stickers on the rear of my car!! :rotflmao:

·
Registered
214 Posts
One way to ensure the screen doesn't split is to use a bit of pipe lagging (1.2MB)

Won't stop it splitting if it's *really* cold, but I've never had a problem with it.

Ignore the lardy idiot demonstrating. That's just me. Couldn't afford the leggy blonde.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts