MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a silver 2001 rover 25 1.4 103ps, not bad for a 17 year old :D :D and i was thinking about lowering it. Ive read on this forum that 40mm requires the dampers to be changed aswell so would it be worth just buying a set of 30 mm springs? Also how much would a garage charge for changing the springs?
Other mods to be included later are, rear lexus lights black, exhaust duno which yet, advice? spoiler to be sprayed black and side repeaters smoked black.

Thanks

Liam

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Well you just hit a big controversy (just kidding)

Some people say lowering it without changing the dampers is fine..others are convinced that the dampers will fail....

i think most people buy the springs and steal the dampers from a banged up ZR

and lexus lights are a no no :D not if you wish to have a spec of individuality left :lol:

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Adding.....Modding your car at 17 are you crazy?????

I was like you..At 17 i had a 1.4si 200...they are surprisingly fast and pants at cornering (never had a crash)

Insurance was highish for me, but modding it is VERY likely to make you un-insurable (even on a parents policy) if you have a crash without declaring mods, you are well and truley screwed and the insurance company will take you to the cleaners (i dont know why i said it like that)

i would seriously invest in a good service and a clean of the car and keep it standard(apart from the sound system)

Build up your NCB before modding....takes a while but im only 1 year from dropping out of the danger zone( 17-20 )

Pete

·
Registered
10,203 Posts
Hi duffett. Welcome to the forum.
You're right in saying that a 103ps 25 is good going for a 17 yr old as it certainly is!

To echo the previous two posts - I'd recommend changing the dampers if you intend on lowering the car. Lowering springs usually give a drop of 35-40mm and so long as you're not too fussed about the handling compromise or harsher ride quality then go for that option. I'd always recommend changing the dampers however as they are matched to the springs and will last longer as well as improving the ride and handling.

On the subject of insurance, I would check with your insurance company first to see how much it would increase your premium by. They don't usually mind superficial mods like air filters, exhausts, diffeent lights etc as they do little to change the mechanical properties of the car. They take a much dimmer view if the car has been lowered however. Not telling the insurance company you've have lowered the car is not an option as you would void your policy and effectively by driving round with no insurance.

I don't want to preach to you but you would be best off spending your hard-earned on making the car look a bit smarter and wait till you have a few more years driving experience and NCB under your belt before you start uprating and tuning it.

·
Registered
7,688 Posts
Definalty change the dampers, and the bushes for polyutherane items while your at it.
ZR160 dampers with Xpower ZR springs will see you drop 55mm with OEM quality items, and is a popular mod I'll be doing over the summer, fingers crossed :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So how much you rekon a garage would charige for installing the new dampers and springs? Also i have just seen the throttle body 52mm and air filter with cold air feed. would that be worth doing? Insurance will not be an issue as ive phoned and its changes by about 50 quid for the mods i want done.

Thanks liam

·
Registered
69 Posts
Lowering springs usually give a drop of 35-40mm and so long as you're not too fussed about the handling compromise
How much of a compromise are you talking. Will it still corner well? I love the handling of the ZR, you can throw it into corners. I don't want to lose that, but they look great lowered.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Also i have just seen the throttle body 52mm and air filter with cold air feed.
Looks like you've got similar taste to me mate.

I looked into the cold air feed, as far as I could tell you have to run it past the radiator. It looked as though it would touch the pipes and heat the air up. So I didn't bbother. It'll sound throaty with just an induction kit if that's what you're after ( you won't get any performance gains from it IMO )

In regards to the TB, that's my next mod. Try searching this forum as it turns out the 52mm was used on Rovers with bigger engines. They bolt straight on. Might be worth getting one off of an old Rover/MG than paying the 80 odd quid they go for on eBay

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Would mg zr springs and dampers fit on my 25? As if they do it might be worth checking the local scrap yard for them?

·
Registered
142 Posts
welcome duffett25, ive also got a r25 1.4, im currently sat on 17's and have lowered mine just on 40mm springs without changing the dampers. sits perfectly fine with no problems so far, fingers crossed.

got mine fitted at a local garage which cost me £140 for fitting then i got the springs myself for £100

·
Registered
10,203 Posts
Would mg zr springs and dampers fit on my 25? As if they do it might be worth checking the local scrap yard for them?
Straight on mate - and it's a worthwhile mod. Avoid suspension off the TD though as the set up is different.

CrispyMK said:
How much of a compromise are you talking. Will it still corner well? I love the handling of the ZR, you can throw it into corners. I don't want to lose that, but they look great lowered.
It should still handle well but the already firm ride would become even firmer. If you were to get the Xpower springs 25exec mentioned, I think you'd be happy with the handling.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts