MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking for a low mileage, clean and reliable VVC engine. I’ve just had the wonderful Russell Walsh over to my house for an inspection on my MGF. After taking the head off he told me where the problem was. The car had the beginnings of HGF. As a result the coolant was decreasing. In a mad effort to fill up my coolant over several months, the consistence between 50/50 OAT and water had changed. It appears that the water had started to corrode the metal inside the engine and results in water leaking in. Along with that the liners have also failed so oil was leaking in to.

As a result of all this i’m looking to replace my engine with a fresh, low mileage one which has been looked after well.
I only require the block of the engine (short motor) because my head is in good condition and can be skimmed.

If you have either a very good condition block or whole engine please message me and leave a comment on this thread. If you know of any places that do these then leave their contact details as well. It will need to get the seal of approval from Russell so don’t try and fob me off with a crap engine (he will know)

I look forward to hearing from you
Kind regards
Jason
PS- make sure your water and OAT levels are correct or you will learn the hard way!

·
Registered
7,071 Posts
Slightly offtopic but the best way not to have this problem is to have some ready mixed coolant rather than putting water in. Those of you who have water or coolant bottles in your boot. I always have some ready made mix on my garage in case I need to add.

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
I’m looking for a low mileage, clean and reliable VVC engine. I’ve just had the wonderful Russell Walsh over to my house for an inspection on my MGF. After taking the head off he told me where the problem was. The car had the beginnings of HGF. As a result the coolant was decreasing. In a mad effort to fill up my coolant over several months, the consistence between 50/50 OAT and water had changed. It appears that the water had started to corrode the metal inside the engine and results in water leaking in. Along with that the liners have also failed so oil was leaking in to.

As a result of all this i’m looking to replace my engine with a fresh, low mileage one which has been looked after well.
I only require the block of the engine (short motor) because my head is in good condition and can be skimmed.

If you have either a very good condition block or whole engine please message me and leave a comment on this thread. If you know of any places that do these then leave their contact details as well. It will need to get the seal of approval from Russell so don’t try and fob me off with a crap engine (he will know)

I look forward to hearing from you
Kind regards
Jason
PS- make sure your water and OAT levels are correct or you will learn the hard way!
Contact Maggie..... She has *EXACTLY* what you need.

1. Crashed MGF ("George")
2. Good VVC engine was within
3. She no longer has the head (donated elsewhere)

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Everyone please listen. Please make sure you have 50/50 water and oat or this will happen to you

slightly offtopic but the best way not to have this problem is to have some ready mixed coolant rather than putting water in. Those of you who have water or coolant bottles in your boot. I always have some ready made mix on my garage in case i need to add.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Could anyone link me to maggie's profile. I've been searching for 5 mins and cant find her!

·
Registered
121 Posts
New to MGF ownership, what is this 50/50 water OAT about?, got me worried now.
Not very technical so please explain in 'cars for dummies' speak.
Cheers folkes.

·
Registered
4,238 Posts
New to MGF ownership, what is this 50/50 water OAT about?, got me worried now.
Not very technical so please explain in 'cars for dummies' speak.
Cheers folkes.
Oat is the coolant. So when you fill up your cooling system it should be 50% oat mixed with 50% water. The problem came about because there was a small coolant leak and when it was topped up only water was added which over a long period of time would mean that thew mixture would be close to for example 30% oat and 70% water.

I didnt even think of this as a problem until the op pointed it out

·
Registered
121 Posts
Oat is the coolant. So when you fill up your cooling system it should be 50% oat mixed with 50% water. The problem came about because there was a small coolant leak and when it was topped up only water was added which over a long period of time would mean that thew mixture would be close to for example 30% oat and 70% water.

I didnt even think of this as a problem until the op pointed it out
Sorry still dont understand what OAT is, I have only ever put water in other cars. Told you i was a dummy

·
Registered
121 Posts
Duh! You guys must think I am stupid, OAT =antifreeze, now i understand, fortunately I havn't had to top up the MGF, which is just as well otherwise I would have been diluting the mix as has been warned about.
Thanks rgt90 for your patience.
Cheers

1 - 17 of 17 Posts