MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
I've got one of these - used it on two MGFs and a Rover 100.

It does work - but it ain't quick! Lots of pumping required. The gauge is just there for show (but it is better to measure the ride height anyway - so no problem there). Also, it doesn't have a vacuum feature.

But - if you want to do regular top ups of the fluid it works just fine. Fluid cost me about £10 from local motor factor (for 4.5l), and I've still got loads left after the 3 top ups (the 100 I topped up could hardly get on my drive!)

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Dan Coupe - just added to your reputation. Will get one as a Christmas Present to my 116.

·
Registered
rover_100
66 Posts
I have one and as previously stated good for fill up no vacuum pump. Mine did have one problem in that the mechanism will corrode if left in the garage empty.

I have lightly oiled it since discovering this drawback. Will wash off before next using it.

regards Kels.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't understand what the vacuum feature does. Surely all you need to do is to pump the fluid in?

To get rid of it don't you just let some fluid out?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Vacum is to remove any trpped air, which i believe makes it 'bouncy'.

I just pump mine up, give each corner a good bounce, drain and refill a few times.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
I see - Looks like a good investment then, especially as other pumps are 3-500 quid.
The pumps are excellent, the only problem with this one (I think )is that it is open at the rear which can be messy if you are pumping furiously. The one I bought has a sealed rear and so doesn't spill when you are working but, that costs a little more. They both work very well though.

·
Registered
726 Posts
You only really need the vacuum if you've opened up the system: replaced a displacer etc. Even then like bleeding brakes you can get the air out with care and not need the actual vac.

I was lucky to pick up a liquid levers pump (no vac) for a couple of hundred quid from the OEM.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I also use one of these pumps,,, does the job ok but dont trust the guage use the ride height and pump frantically,,,, to fill both sides from empty is aprox 15mins pumping per side.
Shewy

1 - 12 of 12 Posts