MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
mg_tf
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

My TF has the factory low coolant alarms fitted. However, I do find that only relying on the dash light to warn you of coolant loss may be attention limited. I was wondering if anyone has modified the installation to incorporate a buzzer, sound signal, to enhance the attention getting ability.

If someone has undertake a mod of this natureI would be interested in the How-To.

Thanks

Robert

·
Registered
31 Posts
My system is that I look under my bonnet every couple of days to make sure, it might be a slightly strange compulsion now if I’m honest.

·
Registered
mgf
37 Posts
hi Robert
i have a mark 2 mgf without the factory fitted low coolant alarm but i have overheating issues since i bought it, if i had a low coolant alarm of any sought i think it would have indicated my head gasket had long gone before i finally replaced it as my coolant was completely disappearing from the header tank when driving and coming back when engine off.

anyway to get to the point, i bought a low coolant alarm kit of a chap on ebay, it was £25 there is no need to cut wires, it just connects to the nearest engine live (reverse light sensor), you stick the sensor on the outside of the header tank and there is a little speaker that sits behind the headrest. when you start the car is bleeps so you know it is working and if the level falls below the sensor the alarm goes off and you cant miss it even with the stereo on.

best thing i have put on the car since i have it. just low coolant alarm in fleabay.

cheers martin

·
Registered
909 Posts
I have a Mk1. I installed a LED and buzzer. My LED is within the temp gauge close to the hot marking. I drilled a small hole and fitted a 3mm red LED within a small-holder. Looks great and cannot be missed (night or day).

·
Registered
mg_tf
135 Posts
Hi All

My TF has the factory low coolant alarms fitted. However, I do find that only relying on the dash light to warn you of coolant loss may be attention limited. I was wondering if anyone has modified the installation to incorporate a buzzer, sound signal, to enhance the attention getting ability.

If someone has undertake a mod of this natureI would be interested in the How-To.

Thanks

Robert
Hi,

I fitted my own low level coolant alarm but in your case if you can trace the wiring for the coolant level dash light or get access to the light irself, you could wire a small buzzer in parallel with the light. There should be sufficient current to drive both the light and a little buzzer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts