MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hi please help iv got a rover 200 1.4i 1997 on r reg.
my engine is making a real loud tapping noise when engine is running and gets louder when i put foot on the gas .i was told it was the hydrolic lifters so had them all replaced but still no joy .any ideas anybody?????

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
For now all I can sugest is to remove the spak leads one at a time to see if it quietens down on one cylinder.My other thinking would involve a dial gauge to see how worn the cam lobes are but I would take them out and put them on a lathe for that.It may even be an injector.

·
Registered
428 Posts
griffmonster said:
For now all I can sugest is to remove the spak leads one at a time to see if it quietens down on one cylinder.My other thinking would involve a dial gauge to see how worn the cam lobes are but I would take them out and put them on a lathe for that.It may even be an injector.
This might be very simple... I had the same problem on an 827, if you refil the engine with the wrong oil (ie. too thick), it cannot get to the hydraulic lifters properly. try using a thinner oil 5/30 or 10/40 viscocity. the thinner oil can get through the tiny hole in the lifters more easily and makes the car run quieter.... this of course will not help if it is a more serious engine problem like the Crackshaft bearings or a piston bearing.
if you have a mechanic stethascope you could try listening to the motor to see exactly where the noise is coming from.
J

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.