MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how much would you expect to pay for a lotus k-series engine with the headgasket gone?

·
Registered
mgf
5,476 Posts
No idea, but i suppose it'd depend on the spec of the engine.

We talking bog standard 120PS MPi, 135PS MPi, 145PS 111S, or 190PS VHPD ?

G

·
Surely it would just be the same price that you would pay for an MG or Rover K series with a blown headgasket.....

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
depends how good the condition of the engine is H/G might of gone but was it run after that meaning head damage etc??

if i was you m8t i would strip the head of before i even think of buying it make sure every thing is ok

plus if it is i would be thinking £200 would be enough for it thats with gearbox loom etc maybe more depending on engine milage like if it's only done 5000k miles but make sure you have a good look at the head first

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
lol then check that as well H/G can fook up every thing in the engine not just head be aware tho why are they selling it if they say they are buying a new engine it would be easier and cheaper to fix it??

but always check out the engine first have a look at the pistons etc just to make sure get him to turn it over when the head is off too to chekc the compresion

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thing is is im rebuilding it anyway so new crank iston liners istons + rods ect

i will be checking it over!!! would be easier forme to get a stripped block but you try finding one :lol:

·
Premium Member
54,941 Posts
If you are doing all of that, then any K16 series engine will do really.

G

·
fecae2000 said:
but always check out the engine first have a look at the pistons etc just to make sure get him to turn it over when the head is off too to chekc the compresion
If you do that the liners will dislodge and the bottom end will seize.

Turn it over with the head still on.

Surely, though, if all the bottom end bits are OK why would you wnat to replace them?

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
lol well i had to do it when two pistons went on my dads ford diesel :S worked fine there lol

I think anyway lol :banghead:

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
my engine runs 190bhp and revvs to 9500rpm hence the need for bottom end upgrades im also thinking about the turbo technics super charger so will need to lower compression:devil2:

·
Registered
603 Posts
nick sounds like a bit of a beast you have their!!! must be a fire spitter! whats it like to drive and how have you managed to get it to rev so high!!! it would be awesome with a supercharger as well!! what mods have you done to it so far?

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
N1CK said:
my engine runs 190bhp and revvs to 9500rpm hence the need for bottom end upgrades im also thinking about the turbo technics super charger so will need to lower compression:devil2:
Supercharger and tb's? would have thought a turbo would be better on a revvy engine :err:

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
the mods so far are:

gas flowed and heavily ported head (big valves to follow with more porting)
jenvey multiple throttle bodies
piper 280degree cams
vernier pullies
solid lifters + shims
uprated headgasket
mgf cup exhaust
ported exhaust manifold
re-mapable gems ecu (hence no rev limiter)
performance ht leads and plugs

I always miss a few things as i cant remember everything:lol:

i dont know anyone that does a turbo package other than BBR and they do the whole engine!!!!

oh and she does pop flames now and again :devil2: :lol:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts