MG-Rover.org Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lots of Chinese News [Part 3]

100K views 1K replies 78 participants last post by  andy 
Perhaps the MK2 models will be sold where MG were already selling cars and the MK1 models will be sold in China. It's difficult to believe that Nanjing will attempt to sell the mk1 versions in Europe.

Sounds to me like SAIC want to discuss with NAC the issues of brand confusion and the sharing of technical expertise.

Part of me wonders if SAIC are worrying that Nanjing can easily make 200,000 cars a year from MG tech whera's they may struggle to make 50,000 from the DIY approach they have taken. The knock on problem would then be that NAC could afford to under cut them because of the extra efficiencies they have. My guess is they are looking to save face by doing some kind of a deal. Perhaps SAIC are contemplating buying 50% of NAC MG in return for access to Ssangyong dealers and the Roewe 450, which could then potentially become an MG?

Reading the article I get the impression that SAIC are struggling with the technology. Maybe as suggested elsewhere SAIC can't make the 75 very well/ easily and they risk Nanjing tearing them apart on efficiency.... Can SAIC make it pay?

Its obviously not just a Streetwise thing they are planning then.

Its another reason for SAIC to want to get in on the act- they say they had IPR for the other Rovers, but we've only seen the 750. Before long the MG range will begin to look pretty well developed. This is TF, MG3 and MG7 versus Wrongway 750. Someone soon is going to look like the loser.
..and critically to the Chinese the MG 3 and 5 will be new cars (with newish interiors thanks to the P4).

I think in Europe we just need to be patient for the replacement models to come on line, but I suspect we are likely to see NEW Austin's first as the MG 3,5 and 7 have'nt really had a shelf life in China yet.

The MG name and other IP will remain under NAC ownership, the existing pay structure - i.e. staff - within NAC MG will stay the same, as will many parts of the MG operation - e.g. Pukao and LB, and there wll be a revenue stream wending it's way to NAC.

Hope that clears it up.
But who own's NAC. Yeujin currently own it....but isn't SAIC buying NAC from Yeujin?

I do not think it will come back. Only way could be as a Austin and do the same trick that Kia did. Sell it cheap to get market share and raise the price when new models will be launched. If it worked for Kia ( still do not like the name and it has no image) so why not for Austin.
It's a tactic that got Daewoo nee Chevrolet going in Europe. However I think if an Austin Healey is in the offing then Austin will possibly head up market.

The Roewe 750 is not a clone. Yes it may have been built from the same blueprint, but it's not nailed together the same way. The NAC production facility is the most advanced in China allegedly, so how the hell is SAIC making the Roewe. For all we know they are glueing it together Morgan style in the back of a shed. OK that is of course an exageration, but why buy a car with questionable build techniques over a product that's come down a production line that was originally funded by BMW? It ludicrous to say the Roewe is a clone it not built the same way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stop giving Windy negative feedback! You may not like Windy's views on SAIC but you ought to give Windy a bit more respect for having the time, patience and dedication to sit there and search through all the Chinese news!

I'm going to boost Windy's feedback for all the sheer hard work!

Hey Windy ignore some of the folks on here who don't appreciate you and PM the information instead if it makes you feel better!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.