MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hallo,
I lost the alarm fob of my '97 MGF. Is still have the key, but entering the alarm code by turning the door lock doesn't seem to work.
I am doing exactly as the manual says, but no luck.
Is there some kinfd of trick I should do that the manual does not mention?
Thanks in advance,
Triantafillos

·
Registered
27,269 Posts
It's very very tricky to get it to work. You have to make sure you turn it as far as it goes and then bring it back to the centre before doing the next turn.

The best thing to do (hidesight is wonderful) is to A) Not lose the fob ;) and B) see if you can get a spare one made up in future.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
How old is your car? A lot of the earlier car's codes were incorrect - one digit out!

1234 could be 1335. Second and fourth to be increased by one. I've also heard of people having to add one to the second, third and fourth numbers.

Oops, just noticed that you have a '97 MGF.

G

·
Stafainn said:
How old is your car? A lot of the earlier car's codes were incorrect - one digit out!

1234 could be 1335. Second and fourth to be increased by one. I've also heard of people having to add one to the second, third and fourth numbers.

Oops, just noticed that you have a '97 MGF.
Why is that, David?

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Andie,

As far as I know it was a good old "Computer Error" - wrong numbers sent out with the cars. If all else fails and you can get the car hooked up to a testbook then it will tell you the code. I also think that certain mems can be programmed and the number changed to one of your choice.

G

·
Stafainn said:
Andie,

As far as I know it was a good old "Computer Error" - wrong numbers sent out with the cars. If all else fails and you can get the car hooked up to a testbook then it will tell you the code. I also think that certain mems can be programmed and the number changed to one of your choice.
Thanks for the reply! Amazing what you learn on this site - I had no idea that there was a problem with the earlier cars' codes.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
19,225 Posts
ok i managed to put one set of keys through the wash and then through the dryier

im using my spare at the mo, but how do i get another fob?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts