MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just drove to work and noticed when I stopped the engine was running quite hot, the guage was up at about 3/4. Checked the coolant and it's got a couple of fingers worth left in there. Doesn't look there is any mayo as i've heard it described in my oil. The coolant though has little bits of like sludge on the side of the tank, same colour as the coolant is. There has been no fluids of any kind under my car when it's been parked at work or at home and the oil and cooland looked fine this time last week, any ideas?

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Chris,

First of all this ain't good, don't trust it to drive the car any further before diagnosing the problem. A leak can get worse once the system is heated up and some pressure is build up, so this could explain that you don't find any coolant under the car.
Don't forget to check the front of the car as well: the bleeding screw (black plastic screw on top of the radiator) or the radiator can be faulty.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Had someone look over the car a few minutes ago, he reckons the pipe from the coolant to the engine looks a bit too coroded at the engine side. Shouldn't be hgf I trust, just something leaking somewhere?

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
i got the same sludge in mine but no HGF as iv'e checked oil etc im going to drain the system tomorrow and change the oil make sure that everything is ok :D

anyone else had this problem??

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry if I made you paranoid.
Would be interested to hear about the sludge if this is normal.
The AA (and after the advice earlier on in this thread) told me not to drive the car till I get the garage to look at it and have trailored the car back to my house.
Teach me to try and me be a good employee and go to work on a holiday!

·
Registered
31,181 Posts
I had a similar problem. Mine only had about "two fingers" worth all the time, no matter how often I filled it up, but it always ran well etc and no problems in oil until I got paranoid one day and thought I saw mayo in oil and coolant. Took her for a service and go the, to check her over and nothing was found wrong. I got a new expansion cap and levels satyed full for three weeks until I checl last night. Grrr.

Maybe all uyou need is a cap?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts