MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. Driving home through heavy rain yesterday afternoon my driver's wiper arm suddenly came loose on the spindle. Luckily I was almost home. Later I noticed the nut on the base of the arm was only finger tight so I tightened it up. But my question is - Shouldn't the arm be fitted onto the shaft by some sort of splined arrangement so that the nut coming loose doesn't mean an instant flapping wiper arm?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had exact same problem with my drivers wiper blade which happened in the middle of winter with heavy snow (bad enough driving a TF in the snow when I can see!!). My Ex put a bolt on it and its been fine since

·
Registered
mg_tf
8,321 Posts
Hi guys. Driving home through heavy rain yesterday afternoon my driver's wiper arm suddenly came loose on the spindle. Luckily I was almost home. Later I noticed the nut on the base of the arm was only finger tight so I tightened it up. But my question is - Shouldn't the arm be fitted onto the shaft by some sort of splined arrangement so that the nut coming loose doesn't mean an instant flapping wiper arm?
I presume the arm you are talking about is the one connected to teh wiper blade, as apposed to the arm under the bonnet connecting the wiper motor to the spindle. If so, there is a splined arrangement, but it is based on small ridge rather than deep splines biting into the soft metal of the wiper arm. If the nut comes loose then withtthe wiper sprung on the screen, and the vibrations from teh movement over the screen, it is quite possible to come off the spindle. Just tighten up - but not too tight - and you should be fine

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys - With the weather we've got at the moment I guess I'll soon find whether I've fixed it ok or not............

1 - 5 of 5 Posts