MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to buy a 2003/2004 TF 160vvc any pointers to look out for ? looking to spend around £7k seems an average price on autotrader. Im used to MG/Rover have had many in the past and have a ZR and ZT at mo, so am aware about the HGF etc, but was just wondering what problems to look out for on TF.

cheers
simon

·
Registered
33,210 Posts
I have never had so much fun with a car, do it.

Look for evidence of HGF. If you get an 03 it will be more or less due it's cambelt change (4 years) which can be expensive. Could be a point for haggling.

Check the central locking and electric windows work properly.

Check the tyres. They should be good condition (as with any car) but should also be the same make all around. At the very least they should be the same on each axle. The TF is very prone to handling problems if the tyres are wrong.

Apart from that I think the norm for any car. FSH etc.

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Looking to buy a 2003/2004 TF 160vvc any pointers to look out for ? looking to spend around £7k seems an average price on autotrader. Im used to MG/Rover have had many in the past and have a ZR and ZT at mo, so am aware about the HGF etc, but was just wondering what problems to look out for on TF.

cheers
simon
Look out for dodgy 'Project Dive' window regulators and the odd door solenoid, check the hood and especially the door cheater for leaks, also rear wheel bearings can fail but are quite hard to spot as they don't give the usual failed bearing type rumble..

Dont forget Cam-belts are 4 years NOT 5 on the TF

02/52/03 TF's are VERY prone to HGF sub 30K miles, so much so that I would
be very carefull about buying one that does not come with a nice folder of paperwork for the repair.

Other than that they are far better than your other ponderous MG Tin Tops..:)

·
Registered
5,647 Posts

·
Registered
33,210 Posts
I like the one at the top

http://dealerservices.autotrader.co.uk/GetDealer.do?did=26778&pageid=1

But then I am biased

At £4690 it is very cheap and I expect it may have high milage. Alloys are none standard but look nice.

The Trophy Blue one you are looking at looks good, but really it comes down to seeing it for real and test driving it. Should be able to knock them down to less than £6k. Check http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/used-prices/Valuation.aspx?deriv=22578&plate=69&buysell=buy although it is lower milage.

Ask to take it for a long test drive. Once warmed up take the revs up to the 6k mark, that's where all the power is, but be carefull where you do it and remember it is rear wheel drive.

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
02/52/03 TF's are VERY prone to HGF sub 30K miles, so much so that I would
be very carefull about buying one that does not come with a nice folder of paperwork for the repair.
<--- Has a '52 TF with 16,000 on the clock, and is now bricking it!:yikes:

·
Registered
mg_tf
1,648 Posts
What about this on

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/ww...ecords=200&modelexact=1&photo=1&hassearched=Y

the one thats up for 6295, bit older than iwas after but looks spot on, What is the mpg for normal driving and what for enthusiastic driving ?

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/specs/data.aspx?model=1205this site mite help

well i get around 45mpg on motorway from what i worked out before, saying that i have a K&N and that sounds great! so my foot does get planted down alot =p

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,117 Posts
In the 05MY TF the suspension was revised, glass rear screen and other details such heater control knobs were changed. New instruments were due to follow midway through 2005.

·
Registered
33,210 Posts
I would call new shape headlights etc a facelift, not new nobs and suspension. That's more of a tweek.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That 05 plater is a beaut ! looks like ill have to find some extra cash, was looking to sell my ZT 04 120+ facelift model with 40k on for around £6500 and put £1000 to it but looks like ill have to send the wife out now to do some extra hours !

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Is the VVC 160 worth the extra £'s, power etc, are those AP brakes that much better ? What about the running and service costs ?

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Is the VVC 160 worth the extra £'s, power etc, are those AP brakes that much better ? What about the running and service costs ?
Not alot between the 135 and 160 when just 'plodding' around but once you get up the rev range a little the 160 is much quicker.

AP's are better than standard, and of course look much better through your wheels.

Running/service costs are near the same except the 160 has one extra belt come cam belt/s change time.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts