MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
found a nice sounding f in the local ads. Its an R reg metallic green vvc with 85k & leather seats. owners says it has loads of history as well

any quick tips on what to look out for- obviously head gasket, anything else major or minor haggling points? i'll be going with my mate whos a mechanic so anythings checkable

i know its the most stupid time of year to buy before anyone says!

will get some pics up if i buy

cheers

·
Registered
17,075 Posts
Good luck & hope you get the right F

1. Radiator does corrode but not easy to see - get your mate on his knees for that one.

2. Under floor coolant pipes do corrode - again not too easy to see as the are partially hidden behind a floor plate but look for signs of coolant loss down there.

3. Flexi section in the exhaust can start to rattle - the surface can become like a Brillo pad so ask your mate not to get his blood on the exhaust.

4. HGF as you say - but not easy to ckeck until it goes but normal oil/water checks should show mayo type gung if there is a problem.

There is a buyers guide somewhere but I'm expecting visitors in 5 mins so will look later.

Good luck.

·
Registered
7,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, great info there!

Buyers guide will be a good read on tube if i can manage to fit on today!

·
Registered
7,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
petevick said:
are you particulary wide, or are the tube doors particularly narrow ??? :)
haha... the weather was too hot for the tracks yesterday so about 3 million people were trying to squeeze on one train!

its £2500 ono

·
Registered
47,841 Posts
StreetBoy said:
haha... the weather was too hot for the tracks yesterday so about 3 million people were trying to squeeze on one train!.....
unbelievable, but how, the tracks are underground mostly, in India they manage with far higher temps, and are always on time :shake:

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,037 Posts
petevick said:
I thought it was the biggest workforce ??
I think the Chinese army is counted as the biggest but it would make the Indian railways the biggest non-military employer. Apparently are NHS is the 3rd biggest employer, makes you think doesn’t it.

·
Registered
7,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
rain stopped play!

i never look at a car in the rain, cant tell the bodywork condition etc... hopefully the sun will shine on sunday!

would have tested the roof i suppose though

·
Registered
7,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi again- went to see it today but unfortunately it was not the right car. The gear change felt a bit dodgy, was slushy and needed more force than it should. reverse was like in the 25- a bit of a pain, but thats normal?

That said it was a hoot to drive, handled nicely and the most surprising thing was how comfy it was. Thought it would be a bit bumpy but was really smooth. Dont know what all the fuss about the driving position i've read in reviews is all about!? Im hooked on getting an 'f now, just need to find the right one

Thanks again for the all the pointers

·
Registered
178 Posts
i was really lucky getting my tf, it was meant to be, it kind of just fell into my lap, i was actually visiting my local vauxhall dealer, to get my car valued because some really dodgy dealers offered me 2'500 less for my car thsn it was worth on a trade in, and it was sat there, and the vauxhall man gave me full price on my trade in so i could have the tf... it was meant to be:)

·
Registered
7,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
lildemon said:
i was really lucky getting my tf, it was meant to be, it kind of just fell into my lap, i was actually visiting my local vauxhall dealer, to get my car valued because some really dodgy dealers offered me 2'500 less for my car thsn it was worth on a trade in, and it was sat there, and the vauxhall man gave me full price on my trade in so i could have the tf... it was meant to be :)
yeah i'd like a tf but cant afford one, cheapest ones are about £7k?

gearchanges- not sure what they're normally like but couldnt have been this bad, my mechanic mate said it was dodgy as well. was worse than the 25 and thats hardly a bloody porsche!

need to drive a few, buying the first car you see is stoopid anyway

1 - 20 of 25 Posts