MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
cityrover
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi , Im on the look out for a Rover 214 SEi in very good condition . Looked at one today N reg , BRG 66,000 and not a mark on the outside , interior would need new drivers seats as bolster leather is knackerd and ripped. Anyway , had the bonnet up and aroudn the rocker cover gasket and the one below there is some sort of sealant? What could this be? also there was no antifreeze in just water.

The service booked showed sevices every 10,000 miles and recent cambelt change.

Priced at £1000 but he rekoned the manger would come down alot. I could also part ex my Rover 111 GSi 82,000 miles NO RUST! .

What do you think?

·
Registered
651 Posts
I wouldnt pay more than £300 for it.In fact a bit less than that.The no antifreeze rings the alarm bells.These engines need this stuff to run correctly.Wht colour is the sealant?The 214sei that i owned had red sealant poking out from the joint between the head and block.This was leaking water and turned out to be the rubber part of the head gasket that had failed.It was just not worth repairing it so it was scrapped and i bought a 216gsi for £150.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Someones been in there to "repair" the headgasket and bodged it by the sounds of it. Then didn't bother with antifreeze, which will quickly corrode an aluminium engine like the K.
Asking a grand for it is a joke IMO.
If I were you I'd walk away, it smells of trouble. You can still pick up decent ones pretty cheaply.

·
Registered
rover_200_coupe
694 Posts
To be honest, these motors are two a penny, especially on ebay and you can get a lot for a grand these days.. N reg car 11/12/13, a 214 on an N selling for £350 is really going to be all its money...

I have an S reg coupe, not a mark on her.. paid just over £500 for her.

Obviously if you are getting it from a garage, they have to make a profit but clearly they have took it in part x and probably paid about £150/£200 for it the most he should be asking is £500 and with no anti freeze in it, is usually a sign of either a lazy previous owner.. or coolant issue such as hgf. If they had it serviced every 10k miles... coolant would of been seen too, so something has happened recently and running around, especially over winter could spell disaster for any engine.

Stay well clear and find something decent, if you have a grand to spend I am sure some of the members here will point you in the right direction of something of quality.

Sean

·
Registered
cityrover
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. I came to the same conclusion earlier. Also the ECU was sprayed black , which seemed a little odd. The sealant was clear. £995 window price is a joke anyway. Id pay £750 max for a stunner.

What mileage would you recommend I look for? I was thinking around 60,000 but that could be too low maybe? Cold starts etc...

·
Registered
rover_200_coupe
694 Posts
To be honest craig, I always think mileage isn't really the issue, its how regular it has been serviced. I.e I know cars that have gone 250,000 miles on the original head gasket and still going Strong due to how they have been looked after but in the same breath I know of cars that have done 50,000 miles and needed overhauls because of the same reason.

If you can, see if you can get something with as a complete service history as possible, if the service history isn't complete, perhaps two owners at most (So you are the third) and 96/97 up wards. Will limit the risks a little bit.

What type of car is it you are after. I.e. economy, sporty, cheap?

Sean

·
Registered
cityrover
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I currently own a Rover 111 GSi , which I have had for 3 years and done 35,000 in I just fancy a change. I really like the mk 214 , but only in the smart looking SEi spec. I would also consider a 620 Diesel or a mk2 420 Diesel in GSi trim.

·
Registered
rover_200_coupe
649 Posts
I have a 214SEi for sale if you're interested. It is in beautiful condition (see my posts at: http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=166803 - some on page 2 as well).

I was intending on keeping it for myself but since then I found a 220 Turbo :bgrin: , I have fitted:

New timing belt
New PAS belt
New alternator belt
New rear brake cylinders
New rear trailing arm bushes
New alternator
New engine mounting
New rotor arm/distributor cap
Oil change just done

Every little niggle done since I got hold of it (heater knob missing and a few bulbs/missing trim bits replaced etc)

About another 9 months MOT, out of tax at the minute as it's just sitting up my drive shamefully not being used, but could arrange that.

Interior is mint, half leather, back has never even been sat in, just done 60,000 miles. All tyres have plenty of tread left. Simply nothing needed at all.

PM if you're interested/want more details!

·
Registered
cityrover
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lovely motor you have there. I may be interested , but Im not sure whether I like the granddad grey. I will have a think. Thanks for all the advice again. Just noticed there is no sunroof either .

Craig

·
Registered
797 Posts
Lovely motor you have there. I may be interested , but I'm not sure whether I like the granddad grey. I will have a think. Thanks for all the advice again. Just noticed there is no sunroof either .Craig
It's a 12 year old runner that's only done 60k and you don't like the grey bit! :daft: ...and I hardly ever use the sunroof either! :p

To be fair, the thing I would miss is the sound insulation missing from the bonnet, my 2 SEis never had it but my SLi did. Good thing about the 214 is parts are relatively cheap and plentiful. They don't usually rust either and most jobs can be done by an inexperienced mechanic.

I'd have snapped it up a year ago when I needed one, happy hunting Craig MGR

·
Registered
cityrover
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Im not in too much of a rush to get one as my 100 will soldier on for a long time yet. I might aswell wait till I get something Im happy with. I will be adding alot of extra soundproofing to my SEi once I get it , like I have done my 100. Are mk2 200s fairly refined/quiet anyway?

Craig

·
Registered
797 Posts
Im not in too much of a rush to get one as my 100 will soldier on for a long time yet. I might aswell wait till I get something Im happy with. I will be adding alot of extra soundproofing to my SEi once I get it , like I have done my 100. Are mk2 200s fairly refined/quiet anyway? Craig
I wouldn't say so, but my 214s have all been high milage (85k or more) with questionable exhausts.

They have a 4 branch manifold that is quite noisey (by modern standards), but with gentle driving they're OK. If anything it sounds quite throaty when wound up a bit. Bare-in-mind, the K16 engine is an early 80s design.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts