MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
.............at the end of this month.

Just been on the local news that the factory will officially re open at the end of May. Presumably that will be when stuff starts to go down the track again.

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did they mention anything about increased staffing levels?
Unfortunately not, no. Didnt say much else at all aprt from it was re opening ! Thats what you get from the BBC WM news ! Might be something on the telly this evening though. Just had a quck scan at the BBC Midlands website, nothing on there either !

·
Registered
other_rover
8,737 Posts
I think the future for LB is very bright now. Autocar said that the MG 7 will be made on the 25/ 45 production line whilst the 75 line remains intact at Longbridge! They also said that the factory in Nanjing has capacity to make 250,000 cars a year, but that work on phase 2 was now comencing to build another assembly plant next door. Assuming that this plant is for Austin then LB may also make these models too!

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I hear what your saying, but I think Austins being made at longbridge is at least a decade away, if at all. So long as NAC do it the careful way one model at a time I think Longbridge will be sucsessfull, but they need to walk before they can run and britian needs to buy MGs otherwise the whole aspect of NAC manufacturing in UK will not be feasable unless of course MGs become a hit in Europe.

·
Registered
other_rover
8,737 Posts
I hear what your saying, but I think Austins being made at longbridge is at least a decade away, if at all. So long as NAC do it the careful way one model at a time I think Longbridge will be sucsessfull, but they need to walk before they can run and britian needs to buy MGs otherwise the whole aspect of NAC manufacturing in UK will not be feasable unless of course MGs become a hit in Europe.
I'd say 2 years away, and that's not a guess.

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
That's not what we were told though. I suspect development of Austin models was always going to be easier and cheaper than of MG ones, and even marketing and dealerships doesn't offer any particular advantage for MG anymore.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Yeh I know they have been talking about relaunching Austin but at Longbridge, is there any hard evidence that they will?

Im simply expecting little not because I dont belive in NAC, I think what they have managed to do is a huge triumph, build a factory and relaunch a brand, but if I dont expect much then I wont be dissappointed and then I will also be pleasently suprised if the do make Austins in longbridge within ten years.

MGROVERnut you have said two years, this surley cant be a all new car using total new technology? Only way I can see that if NAC have picked up when MGR left off with their development projects.

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
I meant at longbridge, i know they will relaunch Austin as its a question I asked when Paul had his webchat a few months ago.
There in no guarantee of anything.

The only official announcement that has been made is for MG TF production at Longbridge - anything else is pure speculation, until NAC-MG make it official!

·
Registered
other_rover
8,737 Posts
Yeh I know they have been talking about relaunching Austin but at Longbridge, is there any hard evidence that they will?

Im simply expecting little not because I dont belive in NAC, I think what they have managed to do is a huge triumph, build a factory and relaunch a brand, but if I dont expect much then I wont be dissappointed and then I will also be pleasently suprised if the do make Austins in longbridge within ten years.

MGROVERnut you have said two years, this surley cant be a all new car using total new technology? Only way I can see that if NAC have picked up when MGR left off with their development projects.
As I understand it the new Austins are likely to borrow MG components, such as engines and floorpans, but the car will be unrecognisable (largely at least) from MG's. I assume that if they are simply going to reskin cars and change dashboards that this is achievable within 2 years.

To be fair 2 years is an approximation from what Nanjing have said but I believe it's not far off being right eitherway. I think we are likely to see a new Austin Sportscar (possibly Austin Healey) too.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.