MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dropped into Longbridge today for a nosy, and I have to wonder, what is that huge grey tunnel that stretches across the Bristol Road for? It seems to link the factory to the railway station in some way and looks wide enough to take a car or body panels?

Is it still in use, or what was it used for? Is there a conveyor in there?

Sorry if this has been asked before (I did try to search :minxy: )

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
2,103 Posts
I know what it is:

The tunnel leads to the top secret underground MGR installation where Phoenix Venture Holdings are designing their moon-base with the 13m pocketed from the pension fund. This may seem innocent enough, but in fact it is part of a sinister plot.

When the Tories win the election Maggie Thatcher's secret plan is to gather fox hunting beef farmers, petrochemical executives, and auto conglomerate millionaires into their space vehicle and destroy the world from orbit.

This is obviously why the four are quite cavalier about the selling of the MG nameplate. I believe they simply need a bit more cash from SAIC in order to bring their nefarious scheme to fruition.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
smosquito said:
The tunnel leads to the top secret underground MGR installation where Phoenix Venture Holdings are designing their moon-base
Ah, you must be referring to Moon Unit Alpha :dddc:

·
Registered
8,428 Posts
smosquito said:
I know what it is:

The tunnel leads to the top secret underground MGR installation where Phoenix Venture Holdings are designing their moon-base with the 13m pocketed from the pension fund. This may seem innocent enough, but in fact it is part of a sinister plot.

When the Tories win the election Maggie Thatcher's secret plan is to gather fox hunting beef farmers, petrochemical executives, and auto conglomerate millionaires into their space vehicle and destroy the world from orbit.

This is obviously why the four are quite cavalier about the selling of the MG nameplate. I believe they simply need a bit more cash from SAIC in order to bring their nefarious scheme to fruition.
Issue 46, one of the best Sniff ever. :s2h:
Great post, smosq! :lol:

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
2,103 Posts
Oh, yes Andy. Details have been released before, such as those you refer to on sniffpetrol, but it never all made sense until we learned that MGR were selling MG. If there's nothing left on Earth, why not start over on the moon?
Recreate the species and the British car industry in a place of safety.

(The bits about Maggie & the tories and the fox hunters I'm just inferring. But it all makes sense)

Anyway, I'm sure it will all be in tomorrow's Guardian.

·
Premium Member
31,560 Posts
Those going on the factory tour tomorrow will discover that it carries the body-in-whites across from the one factory to the other.. basically the car minus any trim or panels.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
SteveChilds said:
Those going on the factory tour tomorrow will discover that it carries the body-in-whites across from the one factory to the other.. basically the car minus any trim or panels.
But with engine so thay can be driven over???

Or somehow towed...

I was wondering this when i went. Thought the actual Longbridge plant was fascinating. I was trying to work out which part of the factory used to make the Mini...

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
red_flame said:
But with engine so thay can be driven over???

Or somehow towed...

I was wondering this when i went. Thought the actual Longbridge plant was fascinating. I was trying to work out which part of the factory used to make the Mini...
Convayer Belt? Used to have similar set up at Cowley - used to go over they Oxford Bypass

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
jhamling said:
Why are the called 'body-in-whites'?
I'm only guessing / presuming here but it could be if they haven't yet been painted at that stage of the assembly

Cool Mini btw! - what plague is that from on the grille???

·
Premium Member
54,941 Posts
Yep, one side is the body assembly lines with the mightily impressive robots. They then get conveyored over the road to be painted and final assembly.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Cool Mini btw! - what plague is that from on the grille???[/QUOTE]

Thanks - she's my pocket rocket. The plaque (I assume you mean plaque, not plague - sorry, couldn't resist that) is nothing too spectacular, just last year's London to Brighton run.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Was at Longbridge today.Disappointed that the merchandise shop has closed.Just missed a group of Chinese dignitaries who were also visiting.Some limited production going on,mainly ZR's.Atmosphere apprehensive and expecting an announcement at Shanghai motor show time.People also realistic about the benefits for the company as a whole of more low margin products being made overseas.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Tim Thorpe said:
Was at Longbridge today.Disappointed that the merchandise shop has closed.
That was the reason I went over too, and it is disappointing. Especially seeing as I made two trips in January to try and spend money there and it was closed both times.

I was having a right moan but then I found out it's due to "staff cutbacks". So if that's the case there's not much point complaining...

Assume it's shut for good, you might be lucky and find it open on a factory visit day but this is not guaranteed.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts