MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
14,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On top of what is already a monumentally crap day.. Just filled up with petrol, and couldn't get the key out of the cap. It's always been a game of cat and mouse to get it to lock and get the key out, anyway after a session of brute force, ignorance, and swearing.. pinging noise, and half the lock came away with the key.

What would be the best course of action would anybody say??

As luck would have it for the first time in about a year i've filled it right to the top! So i've got about 2 weeks of use before I bin the car! :sad3:

A

·
0 Posts
Poor Loaky...I know how you feel - thought the same was going to happen to mine several times...

Sir Pete, is that a joke??? HOW MUCH????!!!

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,041 Posts
That was a bit un-loaky!

So is the problem that the cap is still locked in place with no way of removing it?

A

·
0 Posts
I was looking at the TF lock with matching key number to your car....said over £100 for that...or was I wrong? AT least not as bad as I thought then...!

·
Registered
12,799 Posts
Awww Loaky sorry to hear bout that mate.

I had the same problem with my fuel cap after trying to make the outer ring more bling. I got a new one (after destroying the inside unintentionally), with a general key, cost me fat € 124,-

I think your problem are the 4 small blue clamps in the inside, maybe one or more have broken. Take a look at Dieter's page: http://www.mgfcar.de/fuelcap/index.htm

A

·
0 Posts
Herbie said:
Awww Loaky sorry to hear bout that mate.

I had the same problem with my fuel cap after trying to make the outer ring more bling. I got a new one (after destroying the inside unintentionally), with a general key, cost me fat € 124,-

I think your problem are the 4 small blue clamps in the inside, maybe one or more have broken. Take a look at Dieter's page: http://www.mgfcar.de/fuelcap/index.htm
Great link for those of us who have had problems already - thanks Herbie!

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,041 Posts
Andie B said:
I was looking at the TF lock with matching key number to your car....said over £100 for that...or was I wrong? AT least not as bad as I thought then...!
There are two one with any key (so you have to carry another key just for the cap) and for almost £100 more a cap that will use the original key.

A

·
0 Posts
Chris T said:
There are two one with any key (so you have to carry another key just for the cap) and for almost £100 more a cap that will use the original key.
See, I could have given Loaky a heart-attack then......I did a typical girlie's look!!!!

·
Registered
12,799 Posts
Yes Chris, I have indeed 2 keys wearing with me...... you need to get comfortable with this circumstance, sometimes I catch myself using the wrong key in each lock :haha:

·
Registered
17,075 Posts
My 'bike has always had 2 different keys (1 for ignition, fuel, seat and another for luggage). It's quicker to get used to 2 keys than it to spending £132. Paint the top of one to colour coorinate - unless you have a black car of course!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts