MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys.

Im currently considering a V8 and 2 are for sale within my travel area and budget.

Id like to know what they are like to live with daily.

I know a fair bit about the block having worked on mustang engines for 6 months in Canada, but not what they perform like on premium EU fuels.

I understand power is up slightly due to mapping and the ride is great, however what are they like to live with in traffic or the rush hour commute.

I do 9 miles one way and 9 back. In the RX8 i get 12mpg and spend around £50 to do this 90 miles, any idea on the cost of the V8?

Insurance wise ive been quoted £800 fully comp, which is excellent at 24!

·
Registered
544 Posts
I used to consistently get 20mpg when I was commuting ~40 miles per day across Auckland in ours, and about 26-27 on the open road (and ~22 towing the Midget). Less than 16 if driving hard.

I didn't commute in it every day as I had many other options, but usually once a week or so.

Ride is OK (I would say no better than our ZS 180), handling is excellent - much better than I was expecting, the car really does feel smaller than it is around corners. Of course, this has a price, and the price is ~8k miles per set of rear tyres - if you're lucky.

Engine is basically the same as in the Mustang GT, 256 hp and 300 lb.ft. It's not the fastest car out of the blocks but does move from a rolling start quite well. My Dad said to me "this is the first car I've driven that goes better in second than in first".

Clutch is heavier than most modern cars but not that bad and the gear change is not the smoothest but not as bad as some make out, either.

·
Registered
4,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I like heavier clutches - far too many cars have light pedals I cant stand. Its why ive given up on buying 2 cars lately.

That MPG is fine for me, I was more interested in the general motor in UK traffic.

I covered around 4000 miles in a 70's stang with that engine fitted, though If I recall it had some aftermarket throttle setup and a CAI kit.

·
Registered
mg_zt_260
167 Posts
I use the car every day for a short commute of 4 mls and some shopping. Worst I had was 12mpg around town but average over a year it was 18mpg over 7000mls

Clutch is heavy and will get annoying in long traffic jams.
I normally notice after 30 mins start/stop traffic bearing in mind I lived with the car for almost 7 years already

Gear changes are OK as long as you don't rush it. Not made for superfast gear-shifts but perfectly acceptable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts