MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Note: Before working with any part of the Supplementary Restraint System (SRS) you MUST remove the key from the ignition and disconnect the battery.

Please follow theTools/Parts required;

• Ratchet
  • 13mm Socket
Step 1 - Start by taking removing the negative terminal connector of the battery (black wire, closest to you), the nut should require a 13mm socket.

Step 2 - Once the negative terminal has been slackened remove it and tuck it away so it can't touch the terminal again whilst you are loosening the positive.

Step 3 - Now undo and remove the positive terminal connector (red wire) on the other end. Note that I have an after-market sub-woofer fitted that is why there is an extra cable going to the positive. The positive terminal requires the same 13mm socket.

Step 4 - Looking down the gap at the front of the battery (nearest you) you should see a bolt and a plate covering the bottom lip of the battery. Undo this bolt using the 13mm socket and an extension. Once removed the battery can now also be removed. It simply lifts straight out.

Step 5 - Refitting is just a case of following steps 1-4 in reverse order making sure that the (-) negative terminal is fitted last, i.e. (+) positive first. guide, however the negative terminal must be removed last. So swap step 1 with step 3, i.e. remove the positive terminal, then the negative one.

After disconnecting the battery, leave the car for at least 10 minutes to allow the circuits to fully discharge. This will prevent the airbag accidentally going off, or the seatbelt pre-tensioners firing.

Step 1 - Only after following the above procedures should you begin step 1.

At the back of the steering wheel are two bolts with a Torx head. Using the T30 Torx bit and ratchet, undo and remove both bolts. Keep these bolts safe, and do not use any other type of bolts instead of these, as they are specially designed for this role.

Step 2 - Once the two Torx bolts have been removed, the airbag with lift away from the steering wheel. Use caution when pulling it away though, as it is still attached via a cable to the steering wheel. Support the airbag, do not let it hang from the cable. Remove the connect to the airbag by lifting the yellow half of the connector, then pull the whole thing out of the airbag.

Step 4 - The airbag should now be completely detached from the steering wheel. Handle the airbag with care, storing in a safe place whilst carrying out any other work.

Step 5 - Refitting the airbag is a case of following step 1 - 3 in reverse order.

However, there are some things to take note of. When replacing the cable for the airbag note the position should be as shown in the images above, the end of the connector the wire comes out of should be at the top.

When replacing the Torx bolts be sure not to cross thread them. They must also be tightened to a specific torque. Using the torque wrench tighten them to 9Nm / 7lbf ft.

When reconnecting the battery, reconnect the negative terminal last.

http://mgroverservice.blogspot.com author: Andy Buck

·
Registered
24,543 Posts
I've never disconnected the battery and neither do trained MG Rover technicians usually.

If you want to do so just remove the positive, no need to remove the negative/earth.

·
Registered
MG ZT, Rover 25
5,748 Posts
Never done this job but looks like a good guide (c/w safety aspects). I always find it easier to do a job once I've seen some pics. Maybe on of the mods will move it to 'how do I' section.

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
I've never disconnected the battery and neither do trained MG Rover technicians usually.

If you want to do so just remove the positive, no need to remove the negative/earth.
I always disconnected the negative and not the positive. Am i risking imminent death?

·
Registered
rover_25
1,184 Posts
Great guide,

So once the air bag is out is it just a case of undoing the nut in the middle and the steering wheel just pulls off? Then you just slide your new one on and tighten it back up?

Cheers
Ricky.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts