MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right well after an incident a few days ago with a bird and my bummper (why oh why did it commit suicide on me??)

Enough was enough with the scratches -- thought I'd spray that is along with some from its previous life -- off I go

All the coats are on and now tbh it looks shocking - got a bit enthusiastic on one part and there is a distinct line (went too close to my masked area) and another part there is a sodding fly that decided to kill itself in the laquer....... scratched it out but made a mess of a small section of laquer -- not too worried as itll cut out(grr 2 week wait though)

Anyhoo - I would like to know how to blend the colour in properly and rid myself of the line ??? Elbow grease and cutting compound???? Also if I do that will it help tone the colour down as obv its a tad too dark ????? Anything else I could use?

I am only aware of cutting it in (overspray did go onto original paint below which I lightly sanded before hand) so I can go quite far *hopefully* One will need buffing properly once blended in (its waist hight so you'll see the difference in finish) how do I do that ???? and products recommended?

so worried my baby looks like a lepper

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
34,938 Posts
sandpaper and a yellow pages.

sandpaper to get rid of the **** you have put on and the yellow pages for a phone number of a decent local bodyshop.

being serious - there is no way you are going to get a decent finish from that, you need to sand it back and start again.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mids near brum...

It doesnt have to be perfect-- car is old and my workhorse hence spending ££ not worth it

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
yeh shed loads of wet + dry various grades, yep laquer.. its the halfrauds 3 can thing but I didnt apply under coat roughed the original up sprayed yesterday .... applied laquer today after a very light rub down with P1200

I know I have to wait now as its gonna take a while to cure its the after situation I'm bothered about. *prays to the god of rubbing compound* my idea now its screwed is to get some coarse stuff and go hard on it (I'll only take the top off if I dont go mad????? The original paint is under the parts I wanna blend in am I wrong?) Polish it up then liberally coat it with the coloured waxes like the t-cut colourfast - idk ????

Sorry for being stupid -- I have sprayed before but never quite so badly hehe

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I had a massive go at it !!!!

Sanded it down - nottobare metal just light p600 taking the crap I put on off unveiling the original paint underneath -- its a bit scuffed (looks to be in the original laquer) so it look a bit lighter than the rest. Hopefully now with some more cutting and just laquer over the top it'll look ok

Hopefully anyway - cant look as bad as it did before. Failing that anyone on here with the kit and a place to do it in -- (midlands area) if you can tidy it up a little or at least spray the laquer on(cans as I always thought not good enough really), there is coin +/or booze in it. Maybe on monday as its days off + cash would be yours!!!!!

If not back to the cans

Forgot to say its one corner of the bumper and the rear quarter - so not a massive job

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Right well, its getting better-bit on my bumper is back to normal phew.

Rear quarter is shot though - it really does need someone with a proper spray gun + skills so...

My offer still stands if anyone is at a lose edge tomorrow and can do it hollar now, will travel to you cash in my sweaty hand (please be kind what's sensible £100???) !!! Approx A4 sized area blending in platinum silver (mnx)--less I think have pic anyway

I love my rover *cries*

·
Premium Member
54,941 Posts
You'd be able to get a proper bodyshop to do it for £100.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
34,938 Posts
keep at it. you can fix that yourself. even if you have to sand it off, practice makes perfect and all that!

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I should but tbh I want it done sharpish... plus I trust you guys alot more than bodgers -- I have no recommendations of people round here or if they are any good they cost ££££. Lates does some I think ???

I have sanded it off mostly ... ache like mad, I'm not cut out for spraying-had enough ! ! !

I wonder - do halfords still do repairs in big stores? Seem to recall they use the cellulose stuff so it gets done v.quick. Had some work done by chips away with that stuff and it looked great

1 - 15 of 15 Posts