MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys.

All new to this MGF Business, First impresions are "intresting"

Bought my Mrs a 1998 MGF VVC in BR Green with just over 52k on the clock.

She asked em this question last night.

"when im doing 50 and going in to a gear the car seems like its wantignt o pull across the road"

So i went for a drive and i knwo what see means the steerign seems too light and unstable. now i checked the obvious Ball Joins play on the wheels etc etc..

i was wondering is this normal since there is no weight above the wheels since there mid engined or should i be gettign the garage to look at it for me.

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,474 Posts
It could be the EPAS but I would first check on the ride height (just in case it needs pumping up) and then have all four wheels that they are properly aligned. What are the tyres like and are they at the correct pressures?

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Andyrg said:
Hi Guys.

All new to this MGF Business, First impresions are "intresting"

Bought my Mrs a 1998 MGF VVC in BR Green with just over 52k on the clock.

She asked em this question last night.

"when im doing 50 and going in to a gear the car seems like its wantignt o pull across the road"

So i went for a drive and i knwo what see means the steerign seems too light and unstable. now i checked the obvious Ball Joins play on the wheels etc etc..

i was wondering is this normal since there is no weight above the wheels since there mid engined or should i be gettign the garage to look at it for me.
Hard to give an `Exact`diagnosis as what you term `light` we might consider normal....

Many people complain about light steering at speed on the `F` as the front tends to lift slightly, this is helped by fitting a front `splitter` (spoiler) which helps force the nose down and add a little weight to the steering at speed!.

The steering on the `F` is unlike most cars in as much as its `assisted` by an electric motor (Known as EPAS) this `Assistance` cuts out at around 30mph (linked to the speedo) so as not to make the steering to light at speed. `IF` you have a problem whereby the EPAS is not cutting out (Rare) then the easiest way to check is dissconnect the EPAS via the 70amp fuse under the bonnet on the right hand side (small fuse box).

Doing this will leave your car without power assistance, you could then test the car at speed and see if its still `light` at speed!!........ if it still feels the same then you can eliminate an EPAS fault and either look at other possible faults, or as said if everything else is ok re-tracking/suspension/tyres etc, fit a front splitter!.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
well my steering is super light but i dont have a spare wheel and my car has been slammed lol

mesure the ride hight first m8t ...

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers for all the info guys just a few questions

a) the height of the car at the front do you mean from the ground to the arch or the gap from tyre to arch. and what should this be???

b) the fuse to remove im confused whicj to remove i have a small black fuse ox and nex tto that a white MAX 70A fuse holder that has either a 30/40 amp fuse in it....
picture taken from google for guidance.

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Andyrg said:
Cheers for all the info guys just a few questions

a) the height of the car at the front do you mean from the ground to the arch or the gap from tyre to arch. and what should this be???

b) the fuse to remove im confused whicj to remove i have a small black fuse ox and nex tto that a white MAX 70A fuse holder that has either a 30/40 amp fuse in it....
picture taken from google for guidance.
Its the smaller white box to the right of your circle......... will have thick brown cables coming from it!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts