MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
mgf
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know if the Lidl 5/40 or 10/40 is OK for our MGF' s & TF's. I've used it before and found it still clean after a few thousand miles. Maybe it's not recommended. What's the consensus from those who know? Thanks.

·
Registered
6,669 Posts
It will be fine.

Reactions: EllisoJo

·
Registered
6,669 Posts
Do we see Lidl branded oil in the U.K? We don’t in S. Wales ( as far as I’ve seen) - only Petronas occasionally.
I very much doubt it is branded Lidl, just sold there.

·
Registered
mg_tf
689 Posts
Sorry Ian. I thought you had some experience of it since you said it will fine, and the OP‘s indication is that it could be Lidl branded ( in his country) since he doesn’t refer to ‘Brand X sold at Lidl‘, but ‘Lidl……….’.

·
Registered
6,669 Posts
The name on the bottle is irrelevant, as is the place it is purchased - it is the oil viscosity range and the manufacturing specifications on the side or back that really matter.

·
Registered
MGF's x 5 MGTF's x 6, Rover 620Ti & Cortina Mk3
2,188 Posts
The bit you need to check is in the red box (which is a shot of your picture) I usually go by the API (American Petroleum Institute) which show's it API SN which that particular classification was introduced in October 2010 and is suitable for vehicles made prior to 2020. As the engines in the F and the TF are the same, you could go down to a classification API SJ as that is suitable for engines prior to 2001 but personally, I don't think you'd find an API SJ classification as SM/SN are what you'd usually find now.

The short version is its API SN certified and is fine :) but personally I'd go for 10w40 semi synthetic

Rectangle Font Magenta Asphalt Technology

1 - 11 of 11 Posts